TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to swap out my street tires for knobbies and don't want to spend $50/tire to have a shop do this for me - especially when that's $50/tire when I hand them the wheels, not the bike. :mad:

So I've been looking at the various tire changing stands available online. Does anyone else use them? Any recommendations? Any pros/cons or warnings about piece-of-junk buys?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I bought the USA made WikCo changing stand and all the goodies, spent about 600 dollars 15 years ago, lots compared to Harbor Freight stuff that looks almost the same. Have never looked back or regretted it. The tools have pad for themselves 20 times over, still work great. Using it this weekend to save me 100 bucks, how great is that!

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
It's not a bad job changing new tires. Get a good set of spoons and a clamp $10 HF

[video]http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/12384-breaking-bead.html[/video]

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Top Pred has it correct.

Breaking the bead is the toughest part.

While a stand is convenient, it's not really necessary.

Three tire spoons and lots of lubricant.

I have have changed dozens of tires on the floor with the three tire spoons.

But being off the floor makes it a lot more comfortable.

jb

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I'm too old and stove up to do them on the floor. I prefer a heavy gauge large diameter plastic bucket. If I have to use a steel bucket I put a heavy blanket or moving pad over it to prevent damage to the rim.
Sit on a box or stool and grip the tire with your knees, or better yet have your girl do it while you drink a beer and supervise.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I sit on my low rolly seat and do it on the floor of the garage.
Two spoons.
Break beads with the kickstand of the heaviest bike nearby.
Rough balance on a HF stand balancer, final balance with either Slime or beads.

That round red hoop device that JB has is nice though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I plan on having a motorcycle till I can't ride or wrench any longer. So to save $$, I purchased a used NoMar off Craigslist. It will have paid for itself after a few changes. Spoons work great if you're strapped for cash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
545 Posts
I put the bike on a milk crate with a 2x12 on it and seems to be a great height, Pul the wheel and then use another plastic milk crate to put the wheel on, Leaves lots of room for the rear sprocket to sit inside,
3 spoons and windex as lube when inflating when done,

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Great advice from all. I bought and used a regular deep c-clamp on a couple then bought a small Harbor Freight bead breaker. I have changed about 6 tires so it paid for itself. Pick the tire spoon which is your preference. I have a double lipped tire spoon which I think is the best. I also bought the HF wheel balancer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts