TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received mine (thanks TWGIRL), and immediately noticed that whereas the stock one is 'pinched' where the axle goes through, this one is not. The outside width is the same:
DSCF0305.JPG
but it definitely will not allow the use of the stock collars:
DSCF0306.JPG DSCF0307.JPG
So, is there an 'off the shelf' solution? I have no idea what brand this swingarm is, but now looking at pictures on the Webike site again, they all appear similar in this regard, so I'm hoping someone who has one already installed can point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Hi GTG,

I helped my son install one on his bike, so I know exactly what you are asking about. I think that I recall how we handled it, but let me get ahold of my son and make sure that my memory is correct. I will also ask him to take some pics so it will be easier to understand. I should be able get you what need by tomorrow.

Brian

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brian, that is great of you! No rush, this is a 'maybe next winter' project, but I thought I should start figuring out what I might need.

Trent

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
Possibly ask TWGirl for the needed spacers since it used to bee installed on her bike?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*facepalm* Thanks Fred, that really should have been obvious, right? Done.

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
She should have included them in the sale, it would have been the logical thing to do.
So GTG, once you get swingarm installed what are your plans? Keep the stock tire? Mount up a wide ATV tire? Snowmobile tracks to chase moose come wintertime? I imagine with the ~4" extension the suspension geometry change will make you seek a stiffer shock spring. Lots of advice available here on swapping front forks too...Just ask and those in the know will likely share their wisdom.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is likely why it didn't occur to me to ask, she did include everything else, brake rod extension, 19kgmm spring, grommets for the swingarm pivot, even a length of chain. I figured that was everything she had.
If I decide to install it, it will be as part of a hollow mod. I just really like that look. I'm spending this summer just riding as much as possible to decide whether I want to make any changes, and what they might be.
And I have been mining this place for all the relevant info I can find, but if/when the time comes, I will certainly have more questions for all the oh-so-generous folks here.

(And I use my dogsled to chase moose year round Fred, sheesh, don't you know anything about Canada?)

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Hi GTG,

Here's what I have been able to piece together regarding the extended swingarm install on my son's bike. In addition to the brake rod extension, longer chain, etc., there are (at least) three spacers needed that fit over the rear axle. Two of these go inside the rectangular openings on the rear of each of the swingarm arms. These serve to provide support to the relatively thin walls of the arms when the rear axle is tightened. The other spacer goes between the rear brake mounting plate and the inside of the right side of the swingarm. (Note: I am not sure if there is a smaller spacer that goes between the left side of the rear wheel and the inside of the left arm of the swingarm. In one of the pictures below, it appears that there may be one).

On the stock TW, there is an axle spacer on the sprocket side that goes between the left side of the rear wheel and the inside of the left arm of the swingarm. This spacer is not used with the type of extended swingarm that you have. Also, on the stock rear brake mounting plate there is an axle spacer on the outboard side of this plate. This spacer may appear to actually be part of the mounting plate but is actually a separate machined part that is pressed (very tightly) into the brake mounting plate. This spacer is flared on both ends with the outboard end mounted against the inside of the right hand arm of the stock swingarm. This spacer on the brake mounting plate must be removed in order to allow your brake to work with your extended swingarm.

I have removed several of these pressed in spacers but do not recall exactly what process that I used. It is important that care be exercised to prevent damaging the brake mounting plate. I would suggest starting off by removing the brake shoes and springs from the mounting plate and then carefully clamping the mounting plate to a workbench. Then using either a rubber mallet or a block of wood and a regular hammer, gently tap around the top end of the spacer to slightly break the press fit. Go slowly and gradually work your way around the spacer until you see some movement and are able to separate the spacer from the mounting plate. Sorry that I can't be more definitive or descriptive, but when faced with a job like this I may try several different techniques until something works and usually don't take the time to record the best approach that actually worked.

Here are some pictures that my son took of his bike to try and help illustrate what I have described above.

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

I hope that this helps.

Let me know if you get stuck or have any additional questions.

Brian

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Brian, I really appreciate the effort you've gone through here. That does help a lot. Now I know what I'm looking for at least.

Trent

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice! I've seen some of these, I actually have a couple in my 'Inspiration' folder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts