1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
928 Posts
Those bags look tiny! Gloves, a box of raisins, a bag of nuts, an oat bar, a leatherman and a couple of maps... not a lot to fill a bag. Are you sure it will be enough for your needs?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those bags look tiny! Gloves, a box of raisins, a bag of nuts, an oat bar, a leatherman and a couple of maps... not a lot to fill a bag. Are you sure it will be enough for your needs?
I think so, mostly tools.

The Manrack with the Rotopax gives me some flexibility when I need fuel, etc. I probably would not be searching for bags if Rotopax made a "Storage Box" that was smaller than 1 gallon. The thing looks giant on there. I like a clean look.

2c6284_72a254b126314ffed807bab31048880f.jpg

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up getting two Wolfman Small Rolie bags. I will mount them together laying in their sides, each with buckles facing out. (like and old married couple sleeping with their backs to each other) :)

On the extra buckle loops I will mount two fuel bottle holders with MSR 30L bottles in them. All that mounted to the ManRack.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have the Manracks with Rotopax mount. Goes on perfectly in 5 minutes. I love Wolfman products. I have the enduro bag and fenderbag secured with grommets to front fender. Those bags are a lot of money for a little bag. I bought Maddog bags from Sears made by Coleman. $45.00 shipped. I put some Nomex on the pipe side bag and then header wrap over that then put header wrap on the muffler then put a 45 degree 3/4 inch copper fitting over the exhaust. Lots of room in the bags. Lots of fun on the install.
IMG_20160403_105906_707.jpg IMG_20160402_121352_874.jpg IMG_20160403_110006_010.jpg

Also, seldom do I need the Rotopax can. The Rotopax mount works with 1/4-20 hardware. - I drilled matching holes in a T-bag shuttle bag and it mounts up really nice to the Rotopax mounting holes in the Manrack.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If I saw this thread sooner I would have recommended the Wolfman tank panniers, since you're looking to store small items. In case anyone else is pondering a small-item storage solution, I chose the Wolfman tank panniers because:

- I wanted to keep weight in the triangle (defined by handlebars -> footpeg -> rider)
- It's easily accessible for snacks, first aid, maps, devices, and basic tools
- Gives me more room on the rear rack for the things that need to be there (bulky items)
- It somewhat hides the fact I have a translucent plastic gas tank, in case I drive by a cop having a bad day
- USA! USA!

The panniers are half the price of the day tripper bags too.
Wolfman Tank Panniers - RevZilla

BUT, I'm sure the bags you bought will be awesome!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Your muffler wrap is ingeneous and probably will work fine. I'd suspect that it will make the muffler stay hotter (would that make the exhaust emitted hotter? or lead to premature failure of muffler, or cause engine to verheat easer or run hotter?. My apologies for anyone who has seen previous posts related to the brackets I built to hold my saddlebags away from the muffler. They could be much more flimsy than I built them. They support no weight except for the lateral pressure to keep the bag out from the muffler.
They were built out of square steel tubing. Importantly I attached them to the frame (and pax footpeg bracket) rather than the flimsy frame extension that extends beyond the main fram. I had a similar one on the left side, but should point out that its not identical because I appears the pax pegs are not symmetrically placed on the right and left sides.
BTW I have bags on my Kawa EN500 which are quite close to the muffler (.75 to 1" away) and have had no heat problems on the bags so maybe we are worrying about nothing. However based on burns we have all suffered on ankles and legs, mufflers do get hot. You have a slick bike coming along and are solving luggage and gas issues in ways totally different from me, but in equally efficient ways. Tom

·
Registered
892 Posts
Thanks for the good words. If I were in New Mexico as opposed to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan I would be more mindful of overheating. Nice job on the brackets. I thought of doing brackets, but as you can tell I have PTSD from my streetbike years, I overly paranoid of the heat from the pipes. Even with brackets I probably would have wrapped the muffler. If there becomes an issue, I know I can unravel it and the sides of the bags are still protected. Ironically the Nomex and header wrap were more expensive than the bags...shipped. MBW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts