TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about changing all the bulbs out to LED's but there are so many I just stopped looking. MAybe there is a vendor that has a complete kit. Any info , thanks?

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Isn't a different flasher relay needed for the turn signals? I agree that you have to know exactly what you're looking for or you'll waste way too much time. I upgraded my speedo bulb but that's it so far. It would be awesome if there was a kit out there, hopefully ProCycle is paying attention:cool:

Reactions: Leisure Time Larry

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Be careful. Do some extensive research on this site, because it's all been discussed before. Can it be done? Yup, but you have to know what you're up against. It's not as easy as a simple bulb switch-out. Basically, the bike's electrical system is designed to output at a certain level when it is running, and the system assumes that the components such as light bulbs will draw a certain amount and then send the remaining small amount to the battery for charging. So, installing a lower wattage set up that doesn't eat up what the system is designed for will send all of that extra to battery, which can cause it to overcharge and boil.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's a good point. In my case I would be diverting the voltage savings from the LED to a higher wattage headlight bulb.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Qwerty posted this before

My speedo bulb is
WLED-W (194) wedge base
12 Volt DC 1-LED White

The high beam indicator bulb is
BA9s-B 9mm bayonet base
12 Volt AC/DC 1-LED Blue

The neutral and turn indicators are
BA9s-G 9mm bayonet base
12 Volt AC/DC 1-LED Green

Indicator bulbs I first used that were annoyingly bright at night were BA9s-G4 for the greens and BA9s-B4 for the blue. I can not recommend them because they are simply too bright.

When I did the speedo and indicator lights I also switched the tail light to
1157-RLX5 dual intensity
12 Volt DC Red 5 Wat Luxeon
This bulb provides brighter illumination than the stock brake light and about the same as the stock tail light. It also fills the lense with light better than some of the other LED options out there and it is as easy to install as a stock bulb.

I changed the front turns to
1157-A30-RA right angle
12 VDC 30-LED Amber
These are as bright as the stock bulbs and have held up well.

The rear turns I first tried were
1156-A30-RA6 right angle
12VDC 30-LED Amber
These bulbs did not hold up. Vibration quickly wiped out some of the soldering inside both bulbs, as in a matter of a couple hundred miles. I replaced the rear turns with
1156-PCB-WV held into the housing with a couple beads of Loctite Stick'N Seal, which came from Home Depot Lowe's Home Improvement: Appliances, Tools, Hardware, Paint, Flooring
These have held up well. I haven't touched any of these bulbs except the 1156 right angles in over 37,000 miles.
EDIT: When you switch the turns to LED they will not flash. I pulled the original flasher and matched it up with an electronic replacement from Advance Auto.

Stock bulb estimated power usage (also posted on another thread)

Headligtht = 55watts
Tail Light = 8 watts
Brake Light 27 watts (when used)
Front Turn Light 27 watts x 2
Meter Lights = 3.4 watts
Neutral Light = 3.4 watts
High Bem Light = 3.4 watts

·
Registered
-1988 yamaha Tw200
22 Posts
Qwerty posted this before

My speedo bulb is
WLED-W (194) wedge base
12 Volt DC 1-LED White

The high beam indicator bulb is
BA9s-B 9mm bayonet base
12 Volt AC/DC 1-LED Blue

The neutral and turn indicators are
BA9s-G 9mm bayonet base
12 Volt AC/DC 1-LED Green

Indicator bulbs I first used that were annoyingly bright at night were BA9s-G4 for the greens and BA9s-B4 for the blue. I can not recommend them because they are simply too bright.

When I did the speedo and indicator lights I also switched the tail light to
1157-RLX5 dual intensity
12 Volt DC Red 5 Wat Luxeon
This bulb provides brighter illumination than the stock brake light and about the same as the stock tail light. It also fills the lense with light better than some of the other LED options out there and it is as easy to install as a stock bulb.

I changed the front turns to
1157-A30-RA right angle
12 VDC 30-LED Amber
These are as bright as the stock bulbs and have held up well.

The rear turns I first tried were
1156-A30-RA6 right angle
12VDC 30-LED Amber
These bulbs did not hold up. Vibration quickly wiped out some of the soldering inside both bulbs, as in a matter of a couple hundred miles. I replaced the rear turns with
1156-PCB-WV held into the housing with a couple beads of Loctite Stick'N Seal, which came from Home Depot Lowe's Home Improvement: Appliances, Tools, Hardware, Paint, Flooring
These have held up well. I haven't touched any of these bulbs except the 1156 right angles in over 37,000 miles.
EDIT: When you switch the turns to LED they will not flash. I pulled the original flasher and matched it up with an electronic replacement from Advance Auto.

Stock bulb estimated power usage (also posted on another thread)

Headligtht = 55watts
Tail Light = 8 watts
Brake Light 27 watts (when used)
Front Turn Light 27 watts x 2
Meter Lights = 3.4 watts
Neutral Light = 3.4 watts
High Bem Light = 3.4 watts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts