TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What GPS apps for iPhone are people using, particularly once out of cell range.

Thanks for any info.

John

·
Registered
32 Posts
What GPS apps for iPhone are people using, particularly once out of cell range.

Thanks for any info.

John
I have about 10k off road miles on motion x gps. Works great! I run it in parallel with my garmin lately but have used it as the primary for about 5 k off road miles.
GPS on a phone is a battery killer so you have to keep it plugged in.
I have the complete TAT, TET, CDT and some BDR’s and other trails in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
I also use Motion-X on my iphone. It works for hiking, motorcycle, car, whatever. It definitely is a battery hog though.

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
I mainly use Gaiagps but also use Avenza.

Gaiagps is a little more complicated or should I say time consuming to load tracks/way-points but most of the work can be done on the computer. You have to download the maps on your phone for out of cell service use.

Avenza uses pdf maps which you must obtain from their "store". I find navigating the "store" kind of complicated.

I use the yearly subscription of $19.99 for Gaiagps but the free version of Avenza. Both have really neat features but have there drawbacks just like anything else.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I use US Topo maps - it was $10. a one time fee. Pretty basic, but keeps me from getting lost. I use the tracking app - it shows where I started, been and am going. Its great to find unexpected loops and way less backtracking

1 - 8 of 8 Posts