TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that rides a big Kawasaki but is a total squid. Cycle Gear had their annual between Christmas and New Year sale and had gloves for $10, $13, and $15 so I sent my friend the flyer hoping he would head to CG and at least look around and hopefully start getting some safety gear. I figured gloves were cheap and maybe he would start there. I was wrong.

I have edited the emails to the pertinent parts.

To him: The (CG) flyer says gloves on sale and they show some for $10, $13, and $15.

From him: Thanks for the heads-up. Problem with gloves is that they reduce the ability to make small adjustments in throttle position. Gotta get a proper jacket, though. One of these days.

To him: I don't know where you got the idea about "reducing the ability to make small throttle adjustments" (which I told Dan about and we both think is bogus), but hitting the ground (asphalt, concrete, dirt, rocks, etc.) with unprotected hands is going to reduce your ability to use the keyboard, feed yourself, get yourself dressed, wipe your ass or any of the other zillion things you use your hands for. Think about that for a while.

From him: As for gloves, I don’t disagree with the safety aspect of them, but don’t you find that wearing gloves reduces the amount of tactile feedback and fine throttle control? It’s not bogus at all. Without a glove, my hand is directly on the throttle grip and is “one” with it. A glove adds a layer of flexible material between my hand and the throttle grip which adds a small but definite amount of slippage, “wiggle room” or “play” between the hand and the throttle grip as the leather flexes or bunches up, thereby reducing the amount of fine control I otherwise would have. I might open or close the throttle a quarter of an inch but the flexibility of the glove absorbs perhaps an eighth of an inch of that motion, resulting in only an eighth of an inch of actual throttle movement. Or similarly, I might move the throttle an eighth of an inch and the flexibility of the glove absorbs that motion and results in little or no throttle movement at all. I’m surprised you think that’s “bogus” but I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.

That was the final communication on the subject. Some people you just can't convince of anything and one shouldn't even try.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Lol. Sounds like someone has never worn gloves before. It really is useless to waste your breath on these type of people. I guess if your gloves dont fit then maybe I could agree with him but I guess everyone, including professional racers, that wears gloves are just wrong.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I have a young friend, also a squid. Rode a Gixxer like his hair was on fire everywhere he went. Tennis shoes, shorts, bare hands. Same logic, didn't want to be impeded from "feeling" his bike. His only safety gear was one of those "Ninja Turtle" spine protectors, which he only wore because he and his stunter friends thought they looked cool, and a helmet, which is state law.

The one and only time that he was actually riding the legal limit he broadsided a little old lady who jumped out in front of him. He was doing 40 mph. He did everything right, and launched himself from the footpegs to clear the roof of the car.

He cleared the car, which saved his life. But on the way over it both of his hands and feet smacked the drip rail area of the car, shattering his hands and feet, all 10 fingers, and all ten toes. He was in a wheelchair for a year with stainless rods through all his fingers and toes and halos on both his hands and feet, and had ripped all the skin from the tops of his hands and feet. At 23 his useful working life was over, and he will require years of cosmetic and reconstrctive surgery. All from an accident that in all probability he could have walked away from.

Proper boots would have saved his feet, and even a thin pair of gloves would have at least saved him from the torn arteries and years of plastic surgeries on his hands.

Your friend's logic stinks. By his own logic he shouldn't be wearing a helmet, either. It impedes your hearing and limits your vision, and messes up your mullet.

"I'm on a motorcycle. What could go wrong?"

·
Registered
663 Posts
As a fire-medic I have seen what lizrdbrth describes and worse. Guys I work with refuse to wear helmets when they ride despite what we see. Their logic is as flawed as your friends.

I just hope I never have to scoop up anyone I know.

Like PSC says, I guess those Moto GP guys have no need for "fine throttle control" with those gloves they wear. /sarc

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GKefi2ZwHA&feature=player_embedded[/media]

·
Registered
918 Posts
Tactile feedback of the throttle is not felt through the hands, it's the G's. I never think about the amount of degrees my hands twists the throttle, it's the positive and negative G's I feel in my body that tell me I'm accelerating or decelerating, my speed relative to the rest of traffic, feedback from the road through the suspension and rest of the bike, noise of the exhaust and engine, and quick glances at the speedometer. But, that's just the denial speaking from him. It's hard being on the outside looking in on that state of mind. You could go as far as buying the gloves for him, but it's still up to him to wear them. I'd recommend being persistent but not annoying. There's a fine line between getting the light bulb to click for them and a rebelliousness to not wear them because they were told so many times to wear them. (And not just gloves, anything safety related).

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I'm getting old, I reckon. I don't wanna be the one to inform anyone's mama that their idjit child is dead from his own hardheadness,ignorance or vanity. Been there, done that.

Show up for a ride with me or mine and have skin showing or don't have at least the minimal gear for the risks and you can just get back on your bike and head home. I'm still your biggest fan and I wish you well, but someone else can contain your body fluids, collect your missing fingers and teeth or notify your next of kin. I'm done with that. Ride with someone else. Not open to discussion.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I have a friend that rides a big Kawasaki but is a total squid. Cycle Gear had their annual between Christmas and New Year sale and had gloves for $10, $13, and $15 so I sent my friend the flyer hoping he would head to CG and at least look around and hopefully start getting some safety gear. I figured gloves were cheap and maybe he would start there. I was wrong.

I have edited the emails to the pertinent parts.

To him: The (CG) flyer says gloves on sale and they show some for $10, $13, and $15.

From him: Thanks for the heads-up. Problem with gloves is that they reduce the ability to make small adjustments in throttle position. Gotta get a proper jacket, though. One of these days.

To him: I don't know where you got the idea about "reducing the ability to make small throttle adjustments" (which I told Dan about and we both think is bogus), but hitting the ground (asphalt, concrete, dirt, rocks, etc.) with unprotected hands is going to reduce your ability to use the keyboard, feed yourself, get yourself dressed, wipe your ass or any of the other zillion things you use your hands for. Think about that for a while.

From him: As for gloves, I don’t disagree with the safety aspect of them, but don’t you find that wearing gloves reduces the amount of tactile feedback and fine throttle control? It’s not bogus at all. Without a glove, my hand is directly on the throttle grip and is “one” with it. A glove adds a layer of flexible material between my hand and the throttle grip which adds a small but definite amount of slippage, “wiggle room” or “play” between the hand and the throttle grip as the leather flexes or bunches up, thereby reducing the amount of fine control I otherwise would have. I might open or close the throttle a quarter of an inch but the flexibility of the glove absorbs perhaps an eighth of an inch of that motion, resulting in only an eighth of an inch of actual throttle movement. Or similarly, I might move the throttle an eighth of an inch and the flexibility of the glove absorbs that motion and results in little or no throttle movement at all. I’m surprised you think that’s “bogus” but I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.

That was the final communication on the subject. Some people you just can't convince of anything and one shouldn't even try.

Funny how all those MotoGP and World Superbike riders wear gloves. Maybe that's the secret to winning the championship - take off your gloves so you can have better throttle control! Someone quickly go tell Rossi to take his gloves off next time he races! While you're at it, tell him to take off his helmet because he will be able to get more oxygen to his brain if it isn't blocking the air flow, thereby decreasing his reaction time and improving decision making!

Seriously, the "wiggle room" (minimal as it is) from your glove "bunching up" as you twist the throttle is pretty much automatically compensated for, without the slightest conscious thought. It will have no affect on a person's ability to control/manipulate the throttle.

Some people just see things a certain way and set their mind on that angle. Nothing you can say or do will have them seeing reason. If they won't think about it themselves, then they won't change their minds.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Next time you see your friend. Tell him to run down the street and fall on his hands.Then ask him if he thinks wearing gloves is a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
I could not be friends with your friend. His ludicrous explanation of the impediment of gloves is simply self serving, pathetically constructed to justify not wearing protection. If gloves were not "tactile enough" why do sport racers perform (I would suggest much better than your friend) so well? I would have more respect if he said "call me an idiot, but I don't like wearing gloves", but when people come up with these bizarre scientific reasons.....whew.

That's like saying wearing a seat belt constrains the flow of oxygen to my finger tips and cause us to have less tactile feel on the steering wheel, so simply for the safety of others, I choose to ignore the law and not wear my seatbelt - it's a small sacrifice to pay for the safety of my fellow man.... Utter crap.

Natural selection has stopped working....too many good doctors....

·
Registered
200 Posts
Two time AMA Grand National Champion Gary Nixon was known for not wearing a glove on his throttle hand when he was flat track racking.

Even he had the good sense to wear both gloves when he was older and wiser, road racing.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Honestly, I'd take off my glove and slap him like a nobleman or something. I can't imagine what sort of challenging riding he goes through that requires him to be so diligent. Commuting, perhaps? I'm sure the greatest racers on earth lose the gloves for such arduous tasks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Some people just don't have a good grasp on reality until it bites them in the arse. Ask the friend how he feels about wearing gloves after his first getoff at 60 mph.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Why do you even bother to argue your point or even talk to those people? They have no concept, their beliefs are ingrained into their ignorant mentality, and cannot be reasoned with. After hearing something like that, I would probably just walk away shaking my head and leave then to suffer their own consequences, also realizing that the rest of us will probably be paying for it, as I bet they have minimal insurance too.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great responses from all but especially xdac! I laugh every time I read it. Anyone else that wants to add more please do.

I am sending my friend the link to this thread. Maybe he will join the forum and you all can argue with him directly. Now that would be fun to watch!

·
Registered
26 Posts
So does he drive all his vehicles barefoot, as well? That's some seriously flawed logic mixed in with a dangerous amount of sheer ignorance.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Let him not wear gloves he hasn't experienced a fall before. On a bike its on if you fall but when. I use to race motocross and supermotard. I crashed a few times really bad and if I didn't have the proper gear Helmet,gloves and boots I can guarantee you I would be a vegitable today.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts