TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
That is amazing. Brackish water. You'll never know what you will find.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Are hippos afraid of sharks?

Yes.

Otherwise they would not try to kill them.

Are sharks afraid of hippos?

I don't think so. They have no regard for what they encounter. They just want to eat it.

Hippos have brains.

Sharks,?

Not so much.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If you have ever swimmed with sharks, or been in the presents of any major carnivore in it's natural environment, you would realize they have no animosity towards you. They look at you as you look at a steak at the grocery store. They don't hate you. They don't fear you.

You fear it.

It just wants to eat you.

It's hungry.

·
Registered
976 Posts
If you have ever swimmed with sharks, or been in the presents of any major carnivore in it's natural environment, you would realize they have no animosity towards you. They look at you as you look at a steak at the grocery store. They don't hate you. They don't fear you.

You fear it.

It just wants to eat you.

It's hungry.
I think that's what makes hippos so dangerous. Hippos do hate you. Hippos hate the idea of anyone or anything coming into what they have decided is their territory, and they have the chops to back it up. Hippos hate you, and they will kill you.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
I figure you are safe so long as you don't resemble a white marble.....

Tom

Reactions: DonBenito

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
The Bull Shark is hungry and hunting for food that is the reason it is in fresh water, the visibility is zero in dirty water that is what you see playing out.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Tis a fine point Phelonius, but depending on how you split the hairs, Doc can be right or you can. Mosquitoes in sub-Saharan Africa do indeed spread diseases that ultimately kill more people than Hippos. On the other hand, the mosquitoes themselves do not kill, the mosquito borne disease does. I think it will have to come down to how people want to look at it. With proper prophylactic medication the mosquito risk can be reduced to moderate to none. On the other hand there ain't no pill in the world that will protect you from a pizzed off hippo. :D So, you are both right depending on how you define it.

For those who are interested, here's the list of the World's most dangerous animals. And in terms of the African Continent hippos do indeed take the blue. (mosquitoes excepted of course.)

The World's Most Dangerous Animals: Top 10 Deadliest Animals | Animal Danger

My closest calls when living in the bush of S.A. were with Boomslangs. Generally a shy animal, I had more than one occasion of finding them directly in my camp, and once had one directly outside my tent door one morning when I woke. If I hadn't been well trained to carefully check outside the tent screen before emerging I might have had a problem...even then I had to pee, and the derned thing simply didn't want to move off. The Boomslang venom is slow acting, and in today's S.A. one could generally reach medical help before succumbing. Still, a nasty pre-coffee experience. With hippos, I had no near misses, I was ever on the alert for them, and gave them wide berth. Closest mammalian call was with a buff. A bud and I were out with the rifle looking for a reported rabid dog. We had worked up a valley and upon cresting a ridge found ourselves face to face with about one hundred buff working our way. They saw us before we saw them and the sentinels went on alert. A handy tree with low limbs proved salvation. We were in that tree for what seemed like hours.

Lovely country South Africa, simply lovely. I look forward to the riding stage that takes Doc and I back there.

View attachment 23075

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nah, Doc, a mosquito is an animal.

Kingdom: Anamalia

Phylum: Arthropoda

Class: Insecta

Order: Diptera

Suborder: Nematocera

Infraorder: Culicomorpha

Superfamily: Culicoidea

Family: Culicidae

But like I said, mosquitoes don't kill. The disease they transmit does. Sort of like saying a human kills by transmitting ebola. True, but not true.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Well I guess it boils down to which would you rather be bitten by? A hippo that can mash you into jello with its' jaws, or a mosquito that had previously bitten an ebola patient, or maybe a black mamba?
These are some of the reasons I have never ridden in Africa.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Uhmm. RIF.

Hippos aren't carnivores.

Sharks are.

Why would a vegetarian attack a carnivore?
Hippos attack everything, including inanimate objects. They have an incredibly aggressive and unpredictable nature. They are extremely territorial, and are well known for taking out large crocodiles. Videos on that subject abound, including one that appears to be a hippo taking out a crocodile to save an antelope. Maybe they were trying to save the antelope, but more likely just being mean as is their nature. They are fun to observe...from a distance, but as I've said, they are incredibly dangerous because you simply can't anticipate what they will do, and thus the only safe assumption with a hippo is that it will attack if it has the opportunity.

Interestingly, at one time the Catholic church reclassified the hippo as a fish so Catholic settlers could eat them during Lent. They did the same thing to beavers and capybara.

And yes, you are correct, RIF. On the other hand, personal observation can be instructive too.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bull Sharks are known to frequent brackish water to mate and give birth. And as noted, they are present in lake Nicaragua which is freshwater. Most likely the shark in the original video was trying to get fish that were either attracted to the food stirred up by the hippos from the bottom or fish attracted to the hippo dung. (studies have now proven what was suspected, that certain species of fish feed on hippo dung.) The bull shark got too close and the hippos just did what hippos naturally do...attack.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts