TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TW has gone down a couple of times and has never had the engine casing scratched, possibly due to the luggage rack on the back . Does anyone with the rack still recommend engine guards?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I have them. I believe they offer the best protection out of all of the skidplates I've seen offered for the TW.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I really like my richochet engine gaurd. Once you bend the tab back under the frame it is very easy to mt up. I think you could set off a landmine under it and it wouldn't scratch it. I did run a piece of foam between the rear of the frame and skid plate to dampen out some of the engine sound. Very happy.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The answer really depends on what kind of riding you do. Orbit has a modified cycleracks rear rack and the TCI pan/guard set. I got convinced of the need for the engine side guards once I saw how thin the engine side covers are. There's no strength there- they are very easily punched open. But, I do lots of fairly serious off road or cross country riding. The pan & guards are now fairly deeply scraped up, demonstrating that they have been doing their job. If you hole your engine in the outback, you're walking out. I like hiking- but not 50 or 100 miles. My type of riding= more than worth it.

If you're mainly riding gravel roads, you don't need the TCI gear. Certainly not if the bike is mostly on pavement.

Reactions: DonBenito

·
Registered
976 Posts
The answer really depends on what kind of riding you do. Orbit has a modified cycleracks rear rack and the TCI pan/guard set. I got convinced of the need for the engine side guards once I saw how thin the engine side covers are. There's no strength there- they are very easily punched open. But, I do lots of fairly serious off road or cross country riding. The pan & guards are now fairly deeply scraped up, demonstrating that they have been doing their job. If you hole your engine in the outback, you're walking out. I like hiking- but not 50 or 100 miles. My type of riding= more than worth it.

If you're mainly riding gravel roads, you don't need the TCI gear. Certainly not if the bike is mostly on pavement.
What Vagabond said.

Personally, I've never been too thrilled with the hassle of installation-removal-reinstallation required with the TCI (other plates have an oil drain hole and don't need to be removed every 1000 miles).

Still, with rock rash like this on the engine guard I can't imagine the side cover would have fared too well. If you need that kind of protection, it's surely better to have it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts