TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a Huge Fan of Abraham Lincoln. Do we have any one here especially interested in history and in particular Abraham Lincoln??

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I am a huge fan of the era. I have been to many of the Civil War Battle sites. Went as a kid and then took my kids too. My father did reenactments. He has quite a few period pieces including an original Remington Zouave (pronounced zoe - ahv) in pristine condition as well as a number of accoutrements from the 1st Michigan Infantry, 24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry and the 1st, 5th, 6th and 7th Michigan Calvary (General Custer's Brigade).

As a man I have some reservations about President Lincoln. I am registered as a Republican and when ever I hear statements about Republicans are racist it's, well just so hypocritical. It was a Republican that freed the black man from slavery. But as much as that was a part of the Civil War there was more to it than slavery. In fact the root cause was state rights over a centralized large Federal Government power. In this regard I think I wish the Rebels would have prevailed, but God only knows where that may have let this Nation. He was more of a hands on person during the war and did tend to micro manage at times but then would ignore certain incompetent generals in his ranks that let to many unnecessary deaths of the Union Soldiers. On the other hand he would field test rifles, weapons and equipment for adoption for the troops.

What do you need to know?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I am looking for my brother, is a person who would appreciate a book I have that is possibly a first edition written around the turn of the century. I have a few rare old books that I have loved though the years, and I know that when I pass on, there will be no one in my family who would appreciate them as I did, so I am looking for a like minded person who would love and appreciate this book. I bet your Dad would love it and I'm sure you would too.

The book is:
Lincoln's Own Yarns and Stories by Col. A. K. Mc Clure.

It is a complete collection of the funny and witty anecdotes that made Abraham Lincoln famous as America's Greatest Story Teller during his time. It is illustrated beautifully and is filled with short stories of how he dealt with politicians and those he came into daily contact with. It is really quite unique and very interesting. It gives you some great insight into how his mind worked and how very smart he really was.

Have you heard of this book or read it? How about your Dad?

It is a book that was republished over the years and can be found online, but this is one of the first ones ever printed.

Would you like to have this book bro? I only want to give it to a fan and someone who would appreciate it like I have.

PM me your name and address if you feel you meet my expectations and it's yours.

Sincerely,
littletommy

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have read a bit about Abe. Too bad his life was cut short. I have a distant relative, Nancy Ann Brumfield that married a Lincoln. She was an aunt to Abe. When the population was very small, talking 1607, the first one of my clan came ashore.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have read a bit about abe. Too bad his life was cut short. I have a distant relative, nancy ann brumfield that married a lincoln. She was an aunt to abe. When the population was very small, talking 1607, the first one of my clan came ashore.
We should be calling you Sir Plumbstraight then!! :D

Reactions: Devils Advocate

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Devils Advocate, just sent you a PM.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Got it and replied to you. Thanks so much. Can't wait to get it to my father.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Plumb, If you are interested when my father is finished with it I'll get it back and pass it onto you. I'm planning on giving it to him for his birthday which is in May. This way we keep it littletommy's family.;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
I enjoyed reading the book "The Lincoln Myth" by Steve Berry.
Historical fiction with lots of very interesting citations from his speeches and writings.
The myth being that he saved the union, whereas he actually formed the union.
Very interesting.

·
Registered
159 Posts
A few years ago I read the book Team of Rivals. For an American with even the slightest interest in your own history, I'd say it's required reading.

It's unbelievable from the level Lincoln came, you could barely be any lower. Educated himself while he worked his ass off on a farm as a young man. When he did get into politics he was incredibly loyal to his party and always put it first rather than his own ambitions. This loyalty was rewarded later down the track but if he pushed he could of run for the presidency years earlier but didn't. He was also constantly battling prejudice from his lowly background.

The thing I learned from the book was that political rivals are usually just as bad, if not worse, from within your own "side". Ambition, ego and the perception of inherited privilege at the time was unbelievable. Problem was this got in the way of good governance then, as I'm sure it still does now. He appointed all these men who despised him and coveted his position when he did become president, he refused to have "yes men" around him and wanted debate and alternate views to help his decision making.

Can you imagine managing a young country, then trying to keep it together in a civil war, physically seeing the young men killed who you had a big part in sending to their deaths, managing the childish, squabbling (although talented) men who you appointed to help you run the government, a fruitcake wife and your dying children. I think he was a special person and a rare one that gets to the top from his background and character.

As the book moves on, you can see a change of attitude in the letters and correspondence from the men he appointed, a grudging admiration for Lincoln's intelligence, character and leadership. And nearly to a man, all these bastards cried like babies when they heard he died. The same old story with man's history of politics & leadership...if only they had all worked together during the good times...

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You'd enjoy this book bro. Perhaps Plumb can send it your way when he is done with it. It's rather unique.

A few years ago I read the book Team of Rivals. For an American with even the slightest interest in your own history, I'd say it's required reading.

It's unbelievable from the level Lincoln came, you could barely be any lower. Educated himself while he worked his ass off on a farm as a young man. When he did get into politics he was incredibly loyal to his party and always put it first rather than his own ambitions. This loyalty was rewarded later down the track but if he pushed he could of run for the presidency years earlier but didn't. He was also constantly battling prejudice from his lowly background.

The thing I learned from the book was that a political rivals are usually just as bad, if not worse, from within your own "side". Ambition, ego and the perception of inherited privilege at the time was unbelievable. Problem was this got it the way of good governance then, as I'm sure it still does now. He appointed all these men who despised him and coveted his position when he did become president, he refused to have "yes men" around him and wanted debate and alternate views to help his decision making.

Can you imagine managing a young country, then trying to keep it together in a civil war, physically seeing the young men killed who you had a big part in sending to their deaths, managing the childish, squabbling (although talented) men who you appointed to help you run the government, a fruitcake wife and your dying children. I think he was a special person and a rare one that gets to the top from his background and character.

As the book moves on you can see in the letters from the men he appointed, a grudging admiration for Lincoln's intelligence, character and leadership. And nearly to a man, all these bastards cried like babies when they heard he died. The same old story with man's politics & leadership...if only they had all worked together during the good times...

Reactions: Dryden-Tdub

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks for the offer Tommy, but I am done with that time of the worlds history. Going deep into the time around the Civil War (I also own and have read Shelby Foote's 3 part Military Narrative), particularly the last year, is a bit like going deep into the last years of WW2. You feel the whole world was going mad!

I'm betting most of Lincoln's most insightful and entertaining anecdotes were in Team of Rivals so I think I'll leave it at that.

Thanks again for the offer.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're welcome bro. I might have to check that one out. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts