TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help a brother out. I am absolutely technically challenged with this stuff but need a new I phone and have to get answers from someone who is not trying to reach into my pockets.

The major network here is Verizon but the I phone is Apple. Both companies want to sell me a new phone and both are feeding me their own lines of what may or may not be BS.

Thanks

GaryL

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Hey Gary, Verizon is most likely your best bet for a service provider in your geographical area. Are you wanting the iPhone for the user interface, do you currently have an older model? The age of your current device and your needs would determine if you need to upgrade or not. What are you using now?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Everyone with more money than me or younger than me has an iPhone. I have an android (Samsung 6) and it works great for everything (net, camera, phone, memo pad, alarm clock, and flashlight)What more is there in life?

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Gary, Verizon is most likely your best bet for a service provider in your geographical area. Are you wanting the iPhone for the user interface, do you currently have an older model? The age of your current device and your needs would determine if you need to upgrade or not. What are you using now?
I have an I phone 6 that is nearing the end of it's battery life. Wife has 6s that is only a few months old. I have no clue what the "User Interface" means but with me being at home with zero cell signal and her at work with full service we can only communicate by text as I Messages over WIFI and that is from a satellite internet service here at home. Verizon will gladly sell me either a new I phone 6s or 7 for $449 and $549 but specifically Verizon network phones. Apple has the exact same prices but asked if I want a Verizon specific phone or an "Unlocked" version of those same phones. Apple claims they work the exact same and the unlocked one is the better option so we can switch service providers any time we want. Verizon of course says get the Verizon specific phone. ???????

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I'll add, if you are happy with the iPhone and would like to upgrade to a newer model, I would play Verizon and Apple back & forth to get the best deal you can. Threaten Verizon with leaving for another carrier to get a better deal on the phone & service even if you have no intention of leaving, I've done this in the past and gotten free or highly discounted upgraded hardware.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I have an I phone 6 that is nearing the end of it's battery life. Wife has 6s that is only a few months old. I have no clue what the "User Interface" means but with me being at home with zero cell signal and her at work with full service we can only communicate by text as I Messages over WIFI and that is from a satellite internet service here at home. Verizon will gladly sell me either a new I phone 6s or 7 for $449 and $549 but specifically Verizon network phones. Apple has the exact same prices but asked if I want a Verizon specific phone or an "Unlocked" version of those same phones. Apple claims they work the exact same and the unlocked one is the better option so we can switch service providers any time we want. Verizon of course says get the Verizon specific phone. ???????
If you can't get a discounted phone from Verizon or other carrier I would go with the unlocked from Apple. I would also investigate other carriers service in your area; if you have no signal at the house but can get another carriers signal where you now have service with Verizon it may be time to change. Also, look into the prepaid version of Verizon, may be Cricket?, if you are not under contract it can be much less per month on the service charge.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everyone with more money than me or younger than me has an iPhone. I have an android (Samsung 6) and it works great for everything (net, camera, phone, memo pad, alarm clock, and flashlight)What more is there in life?
Ha! Any smart phone in the hands of a dummy is still pretty dumb. Apple phones with their continual IOS updates and then the three update fixes after we do the dumb half baked update is a royal PITA and sucks all the data off my satellite internet which has data caps. As far as I know only Apple I phone can do the Text via WIFI but only between other I phones. I am still living here at home in the 19th century but 10 miles up or down the road they are well served and in the 21st century with all the techno devices and cellular signals. I rarely ever make or receive a voice call on my cell phone but I do text between friends, wife and other family who all use I phones.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll add, if you are happy with the iPhone and would like to upgrade to a newer model, I would play Verizon and Apple back & forth to get the best deal you can. Threaten Verizon with leaving for another carrier to get a better deal on the phone & service even if you have no intention of leaving, I've done this in the past and gotten free or highly discounted upgraded hardware.
I did this all day today and there is absolutely no difference in the final OTD price between any of them. Verizon does not give a shit if we leave and the other provider that is just OK, AT&T will promise the sun and give us a 100 watt light bulb. Apple determines the prices of their phones and that is PERIOD!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I use a Samsung S7 thru Verizon. I can text via wifi. I do not have service at work, however I can text when connected to wifi. I could not do this with my old S4.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I did this all day today and there is absolutely no difference in the final OTD price between any of them. Verizon does not give a shit if we leave and the other provider that is just OK, AT&T will promise the sun and give us a 100 watt light bulb. Apple determines the prices of their phones and that is PERIOD!
Another thought; look into upgrading with Verizon through one of the big box stores that either give some sort of discount or a gift card with the purchase of a phone. Sam's Club, Target, and others offer these. Not really a discount on out of pocket cost nad you'll have to spend the gift card with the vendor but it's something.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have both an iPhone and Verizon and up until some jackwagonsh*tbagjerkoffsob at the Verizon store ripped me off on an iPad, I have been very happy. Of course I can't change simply because Verizon has by far the best coverage and they did fix the issue... Now, as far as the iPhone. I have an 8, but only because I trashed my 6 when I decided to soak it for a few hours in a puddle... ugh. Anyhow, I am not nearly as pleased with the 8 as I was with the 6. I am not tech savvy, and really liked the iPhone for it's ease of use, but this new 8 and especially SIRI are just not as easy, at least not for me. If I could go back I certainly would.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
To everybody following this. If you have a fairly recent model phone then WiFi calling is already baked into the software. You may have to contact your service provider and have "advanced calling" features enabled. After that is done you can call or text anyone anywhere just as you would with a traditional cellular signal.

Tom

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
To everybody following this. If you have a fairly recent model phone then WiFi calling is already baked into the software. You may have to contact your service provider and have "advanced calling" features enabled. After that is done you can call or text anyone anywhere just as you would with a traditional cellular signal.

Tom
Good to know, thanks! Do you have any idea how data intensive the calls are for someone in Gary's situation with data restrictions?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Good to know, thanks! Do you have any idea how data intensive the calls are for someone in Gary's situation with data restrictions?
Calls would use a fair amount of data however he is only interested in texting from home and texts use very very little data.

Tom

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got off the phone with Verizon CS. When I try to turn on advanced WIFI calling it says I have to contact Verizon. Just my luck I have to get the idiot who can't speak English and has less knowledge about I phones than I have. She keeps telling me I have to have WIFI turned on on my phone. No shit and it is turned on. I need to turn on WIFI Calling which is found when you scroll down to the phone setting. I turn it on and press Enable and get a message to contact Verizon. Instead of getting a Verizon/Apple I phone expert I have to get Maxine who does not know her ass from her elbow. :mad:

Back to the Verizon store tomorrow.

Thanks Tom, good talking tonight and with a little luck I might be able to send you a text tomorrow if the idiots can turn advance calling or WIFI calling on for me. If it actually does work I may just shove these I phones right up some idiots nose and buy some other android like a Samsung S7.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
I just got off the phone with Verizon CS. When I try to turn on advanced WIFI calling it says I have to contact Verizon. Just my luck I have to get the idiot who can't speak English and has less knowledge about I phones than I have. She keeps telling me I have to have WIFI turned on on my phone. No shit and it is turned on. I need to turn on WIFI Calling which is found when you scroll down to the phone setting. I turn it on and press Enable and get a message to contact Verizon. Instead of getting a Verizon/Apple I phone expert I have to get Maxine who does not know her ass from her elbow. :mad:

Back to the Verizon store tomorrow.

Thanks Tom, good talking tonight and with a little luck I might be able to send you a text tomorrow if the idiots can turn advance calling or WIFI calling on for me. If it actually does work I may just shove these I phones right up some idiots nose and buy some other android like a Samsung S7.

GaryL
Just tell them you need the feature added to your Verizon plan. Someone should be able to figure it out for you tomorrow. Tell them AT&T offers that feature for free on new contracts! :director:

For your next conversation with Verizon tell them you want HD Voice enabled. I just found out from their online support that it SHOULD be free.

Tom

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You don't need a new I-phone, just a new phone.

I would recommend a Samsung J3 Eclipse for about $180 thru Verizon. To get the low price on the phone, you need to make 24 monthly payments on the phone and probably sign a new 2 year contract. The phone is great but doesn't have the latest and greatest picture quality of the $700 phones but is much better than the old Galaxy 3 that it replaced. The battery is removable unlike many of the new expensive phones and that is important to me as I like to carry an extra one.

Apple ( I stuff) and Samsung (Android) are like Ford and Chevy ( and there are many more phone makers) but you will still need to stay with Verizon to get the best service because of your location.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts