TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I am thinking of purchasing a TW200, and as I couldn't find any used ones within reasonable driving distance, I visited two local motorsports dealers.
They both had 2018's in stock... and dealer "A" listed the 2018 at $4599, and dealer "B" at $4099.

Dealer "A" out the door was $5300, and dealer "B" was $5100. The extra charges included plates, sales tax, and other fees like document fees, processing fees, dealer prep, etc.

Seems a little high to me to pay 15% to 24% of the listed sales price. For reference, our sales tax in Michigan is 6%.

If this is normal, then I don't have a problem with it. Love to hear what you think!

-Dave

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
It's not unheard of at all, they will jack you if they can. Take your time shopping and looking around. Some dealers will throw in a little incentive with a helmet or some gear of some kind... for whatever that's worth. Ask for a different front tire if they will do it.

Welcome to the forum and please keep us posted. :D

Reactions: Cornelis and Ken

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm also wondering if it's the wrong time of year, after all spring and motorcycle season is on it's way... and perhaps prices too?

Littletommy, on the front tire comment, do you mean like a more knarly "trade up" tire per se?

·
Super Moderator
5,325 Posts
If you can find a dealer with last years bike still unsold, you can normally grab a bargain - they have to buy them in pairs - not unusual to find one left over

Unsold old stock does a dealer no favours - but as far as your concerned, it's still the same bike - only the paintwork gives it away ....

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
If you plan on going off road much, the stock tire will wash out on you, leaving you on the ground. It's happened to almost all of us. They make such better tires now days. A Shinko 241 works very well. If you plan on only street riding, the stock front seems to be ok. No worries about the rear tire, it's ok. And if they will wheel and deal, why not ask? ;)

You might find 2017's cheaper at the dealer and they usually want to move old stock...
I'm also wondering if it's the wrong time of year, after all spring and motorcycle season is on it's way... and perhaps prices too?

Littletommy, on the front tire comment, do you mean like a more knarly "trade up" tire per se?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it on the front tire. I intend to do about 99% off road, and maybe 1% getting off the road (campgrounds close to trails). I'll look into the tire swap.

I've been looking for 2017, used, etc., but nothing in my area.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
You might just for the heck of it contact forum member Placerlode. He usually has several for sale. He only buys low mileage nice bikes and travels across the US a few times a year delivering or buying them. Look at the top where it says Private Messages, click on it, select send new and send him a message, certainly can't hurt and you might save big $$$. Just a thought...
Got it on the front tire. I intend to do about 99% off road, and maybe 1% getting off the road (campgrounds close to trails). I'll look into the tire swap.

I've been looking for 2017, used, etc., but nothing in my area.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Hello I'm just getting back from a long driving trip to bathing my rig and my body here tonight

The average out the door price I see when people show me their original paperwork is $5600

If I understand your location you are in luck because some of the lowest prices on used TW's occur in the Great Lakes region

Hold off on buying new and just keep a daily watch on CL, possibly facebook sales groups and the classifieds here on the forum

I bet yo can buy a nice TW with under 1000 miles for around $3k maybe a tad lower depending on accessories

Have patience and never give up because the day you decide to stop looking is the day the deal will show up

Have cash in hand out of the bank ready to jump in your truck like a firefighter the deals will sell fast often within 15 to 45 minutes from listing somebody is on the way

I've seen several nice TW's around $2500 in your area the past few years

Heck in Phoenix this past week there was a nice 2006 with 4500 miles and cycleracks for $1200 and a 2013 with 43 miles for $2200 but I was out of town and missed both

Good luck on the hunt its normal to miss a few deals but eventually you'll be the one who gets the deal!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
In Nevada:
Base price
Freight
Dealer set-up (remove from crate, assemble)
Title/processing/paperwork (these fees just keep getting higher and higher)
Sales tax (no negotiating there, but NV reduces base price, to calculate tax, by trade-in value)
License

·
Registered
302 Posts
Check around and find a decent dealer. The dealers will pool together in an area to maintain price levels. Dealerships my be hundred miles away but have the same owner controlling things. May also be best buddies price fixing half a state.

Example I just picked up a 2018 CRF250L. Price was $4299 plus tax lic, $4608 out the door loaded in the truck. Dealer was 135 miles away. Advertised on CL. "ALL" the local guys are at $5299 or more. Plus tax, lic and some wanted a $250 set up charge on top. So I have been telling everyone I can about the other dealer and what crooks the local guys are. Nice way to ruin a business. 270 miles and saved over a grand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I have been getting quite an education! Great forum and great advice.

I'll be on the lookout, and we'll see how fortune favors me!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Bought 2 bikes in 2017. A rebel 300 and the Africa twin. Both off the show room floor and they threw in the set up and destination. So I payed Msrp plus tax and the paper work. The other 500 bucks per bike was bogus and removed. I did pay cash though so I had some leverage and both times it was a in an out deal. If it’s a fight it’s not worth it. Being that there all over the place I was prepared to walk into dealers cash in hand with my offer till I found one.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I am not actively selling mine, I go back and forth for all sorts of reasons, but I would sell mine for $2k. It's a 2002, 7k miles and had several of the most popular upgrades. Bar risers, carb mod, MT21 front tire, all balls steering bearings, new rear tire (stock), ride on in tires, forks serviced last year, oring chain, AGM battery. I change the oil every few hundred miles. It has one dent in the tank (dropped it doing the fork %@#@*#@) and the trip meter isn't working. That is the sum total of problems. Usually they go 25k miles between rebuilds, so maybe 1/3 of the service life of the motor is used.if I do sell it, it would probably be to a forum member.

·
Registered
69 Posts
OP,

You’ve got great advice from everyone so far. But, as said, this time of year is when dealers make their money because everyone gets the ‘fever’ to buy a bike. Be patient and keep looking for a used one in my opinion. It took me a few months before I found the right deal on Craigslist.

Also, I’ve bought several bikes from dealers over the years and I have never paid for ‘extra’ fees other than tax and title, I refuse to pay the setup or destination fees or whatever they call it when they’re trying to screw you. Luckily, I live in an area where there are quit a few dealers within a 20 mile radius that I can bargain with. Your situation may be different...good luck with your search and stay in touch with the good folks on this forum, they’re a tremendous help!

Reactions: littletommy
1 - 20 of 40 Posts