TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello TW Riders,

Greetings again from Ulaanbaatar.
There was a light snow overnight here; I had just about been off of my TW hunt, due to finding some nice, small Jap dual sports locally. However, I imagine a TW would handle snow riding much better than any other small dual sport motorcycle. I would love hear your snow riding tales, especially if you can include pictures. Also, do any of you think snow riding is just completely ill-advised all together, on any bike? Please share those experiences as well ;)

Thanks for your thoughts,

MP

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
We dont get snow around here but a few members use snow chains. If it does snow around here I will be sure to take the tw and bw out in it. Seems like the tw would be the next best thing to an atv in the snow.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just watched way too many videos of snow riding.

I'm excited for this winter. Gonna have to pick up some ice screws in a while.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too funny! Well, I guess it truly is snow-worthy. Now, do they make gear that would make it comfortable to ride when it's -35 :icon_biggrin:

Thanks guys.

Time may tell,

MP

·
Registered
385 Posts
Maybe a battery on a rack in the back to power ...

Electric underwear
Heated grips
Faceshield defogger

Of course charge the extra battery at night. Not to mention the weight will help with traction.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think snow riding would be great fun. I rode to work yesterday and it was 34dF which is totally tolerable. However, what is not tolerable is driving in traffic where car exhaust has condensed and frozen at every intersection. Uggggg....

·
Registered
188 Posts
A modified TW200 was ridden to the North Pole, so I think that would qualify the answer as "Yes.!"

HISTORY

View attachment 1528
I read an article that really slammed in to this story. Apparently, the person who wrote the story, claimed it was not a TW, but some other type of bike with a TW rear wheel and swing arm with some other misc TW goodies. Either way, he picked the best rear tire for the job :p

On a related note, I rode ALLLLLL last year in CO in snow. I had a snow chain for a very small car that I strapped on once. Never actually needed it. It scared me that it was gonna catch the swing arm. Cleared it fine, but my nerves were still going. It's a blast, but ALWAYS be ready to go down. I've fallen twice in the snow, never hard, never fast, never any damage. Just be prepared. The biggest scare is cars around you. As for staying warm, I'm cheap and just layered up :) Enjoy the winter riding and be safe!

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
Mongol Pete, not sure if you can view youtube 'er not, but I do quite a bit of riding in the winter, some of it in snow. I put a set of tire chains on my rear tire and this past winter I used some SHORT sheet metal screws placed on the lugs of my Shinko 244. Chains work great, in the country not city, and the sheet metal screws worked well in packed snow and ice, but not deeper snow. This year I'm gonna rig up my front tire with chains as well.

For your viewing pleasure...or not!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I live in Maine and the winter riding is unreal. I almost like it better than summer riding as there are no bugs, mud, roots and rocks. On my KTM put about 750 Kold Kutter ice screws in a pair of almost new tires to make sure there is enough knob on them so the screw doesn't puncture the tube. You can line the tire if you want, but you don't need to if they are new enough. It only took about an hour or so to stud both tires and its kind of fun! I wouldn't mess around with chains because the studs I can ride through 15" of fresh untracked snow with ease and on ice they are amazing. You probably have more grip with studs on ice than with regular tires on pavement. I wish I had pictures but we rode down about a 600yd step waterfall that was ribbon of blue ice. It was almost surreal and by far the coolest ride I have ever done. Another misconception people have is that you get cold, you don't. It's kind of like riding in sand for 4-5 hours straight and you are working hard at all times. Even on the coldest days you end up sweating. You don't need fancy heated grips or suits, just put duct tape on your helmet vents and throw you gloves on your pipe when you stop. It's actually best when you ride at about 15 degrees or below as the trails get hard packed and you can fly! We actually get pissed because sometimes it is too warm to ride...

I haven't ridden the T-Dub in the snow but I'm sure it would be fun. The only downfalls would be the bigger tires aren't very good in sand and that would probably mean the same for snow. Also, the clearance and the lack of power make a big difference. Riding in deep snow puts strain even on the KTM 250 4T I used to ride. My friend has cut more than 30 miles of real single track (not four wheeler trails) that he leaves 20" plus logs in tight places and 70-80 ft hill climbs with no run-in that aren't for the faint of heart. I see 16hp being limited in those situations but for cruising down groomed out snowmobile trails the TW would be a blast! Here are a couple pics of some winter riding and the tires I studded (I can't believe my wife lets me do it in the kitchen, but it's cold as hell in the garage and she's pretty cool!) Winter0.jpg Winter1.jpg Winter2.jpg Winter3.jpg Winter4.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts