TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -
With year round riding in AZ including desert & mountains, I'm soliciting interest in posting group rides in the area. Looks like a dozen of Phoenix based plus 30ish more T-dubbers just in AZ. The thought was primarily dirt routes (forest roads & single track). If any interest, send me some good rides & any dates you like & I can post them. As starters I'll throw in a few - Crown King from Lake Pleasant of from Prescott Valley, 4 Peaks & Rolls, FS Rim roads 300 & the other million up there, The Boulders, Vulture Mine, Box Canyon. Any others....any interest?
TomT

·
Registered
94 Posts
I need to spend some time up north of the San Francisco peaks. I found some decent riding up there a couple or 3 weeks ago. Been too busy to ride more than a mile or 2 a day the past 2 weeks. I'm in though. I don't check on here every day though.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Some nice riding on forest service roads around Ash fork and strawberry crater. Did those a month ago on ebikke. Picked up literally 50 goathead stickers in each tubeless tire. Amazed that the Stans goop inside sealed em all

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was elk hunting up out of Tusyan one year and actually rode an ATV into the park. ( just to be able to say I did). The back road into the park doesn't have a ranger station and you can just drive right in. I am sure you can ride all the way there on FS roads but that would be a long ride. I trailered to the gas line road and went in from there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I need to spend some time up north of the San Francisco peaks. I found some decent riding up there a couple or 3 weeks ago. Been too busy to ride more than a mile or 2 a day the past 2 weeks. I'm in though. I don't check on here every day though.
I used to live up in that area, theres a lot of interesting FS roads out that way. Would love to get back out there tooling around. I moved away in '89.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was elk hunting up out of Tusyan one year and actually rode an ATV into the park. ( just to be able to say I did). The back road into the park doesn't have a ranger station and you can just drive right in. I am sure you can ride all the way there on FS roads but that would be a long ride. I trailered to the gas line road and went in from there.
There is a great trail from Flagstaff following an old stage coach route that ends up at the Canyon going in at Grandview watchtower. It's a pretty good day getting up to the Canyon and a camp up there would be my recommedation. A run out to Ruby point would be a nice additional day of riding.
Mikey

·
Registered
392 Posts
It has been several years now, but I have ridden in that way, which is east of Tuscan, but I have also ridden in to the west into the park. This follows the train route.

i did take the train ride from Williams, and saw lots of potential ride from the train.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Arizona has this forgotten corner around Holbrook, Winslow, St. Johns. Very easy riding, flat, dry, soft sand. A developer subdivided this area called Sun Valley and there is a lot of dirt roads without any people. If flat plains are your thing this your spot. Riding to Blue AZ from Alpine is a lot of fun and very pretty. Look for a sign "blue river 22 miles" from Alpine. I have moved away but I do miss these places.

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
How many more months are you folks going to chat about various places you've been in the past and instead actually go riding?
TomT is a great guy. We buddied up for a ride around Moab's White Rim Trail, really a good riding companion. Why not risk a bit and meet someone new?
It would really be disappointed to come across this thread in the future still with nothing but more comments of "I went to such-and-such once".
I think Tom just wanted to go riding with some of you folks, perhaps start a group ride tradition like we see elsewhere.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Now Fred......Seems to me like most of us who have replied to this thread are retired.... live outside of Arizona.... snowbird travel plans are uncertain... etc. Glad you vouched for tom t, though sure he probably didn't need it.
This thread is probably doing exactly what it should be....keeping the interest and idea alive.
TomT I'll give a shout when I get down there...probably early November...but maybe not till feb...and then I may not even bring the tw.... just the ebike this trip, as more mobile with out the tw on front of the truck?
Thanks to everybody who is sharing their rides and ideas for rides.

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
Point taken Allan. My apologies to anyone offended.
Just trying to shame some of the dozen Phoenix TW riders that were alluded to into getting out. Take them fancy JNS headlights out for an after dark meet-n-greet cruise even if only out Estrella Mountain way or other cool evening destination. Night trail riding out away from the urban borealis of city lights with others is a good way to enjoy a star filled night sky.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Between Williams and Flagstaff, there's a zillion miles of FS roads and trails. It would be nice (and a ton of fun) to get a group of T-dubs cruising around on many of those, sometime in the future, preferably without SNOW!
Scott

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have ridden once with Tom. We had a great day. It is hunting season and I have been too busy hunting and guiding to do any riding. I did throw it in the back of my truck yesterday and drove to my buddy's garage where I pulled my transfer case and tranny out for a rebuild. I had transportation home afterwards!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts