TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I bought a 2008 TW about 2 weeks ago - clean'ish bike with 6600km on (about 4200miles) WITH papers!!!! :cool:
You will wonder why this makes me so happy - about 80 - 90% of TW's in South Africa are being bought for farm applications, and never used on open roads, so they do not need to be roadworthy or to be registered, thus finding a decent example WITH papers is HUGE!!!!!

My plan is to do a "army bike" but not in the US army green, but proudly South African -matte earth brown.
I will build a carrier rack, fit an old army ammo box, and some jerry cans.
Replace the indicators with something more applicable to the theme.
Replace the front headlight and fairing with an old tractor light.
Also fitting a US made old siren below the headlight.
Also some LED spotlights, old army saddle bags, old army (NOS) tool tube canisters.
And painting the bike in official army brown.
The brake light will also be replaced by an old army vehicle light.

Attached some pictures of the accessories that will be going on.

Thanks for watching

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I am sure you will have a lot of help from the guys in here if you need it.

Always good to see another Saffa around! Where are you based? I am in Durban.

I am excited to see how this comes out, there is good potential for a great looking bike. That tractor light in particular is very cool.
Keep us posted as I am very interested.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
welcome!
i like anyone modding their bike to be their dream bike.

seeing your broke brake lever... i'd recommend bark busters. i never had them before this bike, and i've never busted a lever since.

ride on!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
welcome!
i like anyone modding their bike to be their dream bike.

seeing your broke brake lever... i'd recommend bark busters. i never had them before this bike, and i've never busted a lever since.

ride on!
....the previous owner had a couple of falls, thus both the brake and clutch levers are busted, hopefully I'll stay on better than him....

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Hello and Welcome it looks like you guys in South Africa have it going. I like the accessories for your build especially the tool holder. I'm assuming you keep tools in it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Interesting project,tw200southafrica. What is the object with the twin bulbs inside the perforated housing-a 'marching lamp' ??

·
Registered
589 Posts
Howzit boet, welcome to the forum, I live in Centurion not too far from you.
I'm busy fixing up a 1990 TW200 so that I can use her for everyday commuting around the city of Pretoria.
She was standing in a shed on a farm for the most part of 20 years, when I started cleaning up the fuel tank was rusted inside and carb was clogged-up and there was a layer of dust and mud all over the bike.
The previous owner did not bother with an air filter so you can imagine how dirty the carburettor was.
I bought a new battery, spark-plug and oil filter, took the carb off to thoroughly clean all the jets and grime and handed the fuel tank in to get the rust treated.
Just some minor work and modifications left to be done, she's running beautifully already

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Cornelis,

Lekker man, local en lekker.
Mine is luckily running, just doing some repairs, full service, brake pads, timing chain etc.....

Then all the painting and mods.... will be using it in town and offroad....

Cheers, Johann

1 - 20 of 46 Posts