TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I started a thread a few weeks back asking about commuting to work and buying an XT250 or TW200.
So after reading replies and giving some thought I went for a new TW200, a 2015 model (left over)
The bike gets delivered today, yea I know I could ride it home. But the dealer is 100km away and I don't want to ride a new bike on 110kph highways.
Now I am already looking for racks etc, and have read the threads about sprockets.
Will try to post a photo later after work.
Thanks again for the advice folks.

Registered
Enjoy your commutes and since your commuting I recommend this $60 Icon vest its huge in other drivers seeing you.
image.jpeg

Link: if interested, they are cut small, buy the SuperSize they are adjustable

Registered
Congratulations Zippy!
By chance did you read the recent post on break-in and ring seating for modern motorcycles? Basically for the first 20 miles or so you should ride the bike hard so that strong cylinder pressures force rings firmly against cross-hatched hone marks in the cylinder wall allowing those hone marks to machine the rings into a good fit against cylinder wall. If ridden gently the hone marks will get polished away before they can do the cutting of the rings they were designed to do. One ends up with better compression and greater power if done this way...ignore Yamaha's recommendation to "baby" your new baby initially.

Super Moderator
This is correct. You should also do some varying hard throttle runs 2/3, 3/4, and full throttle and quickly let off the throttle after several hundred feet. It will sound counter intuitive to many but I have researched enough recently to agree fully with this concept. It has to do with how cylinders are finish machined today and needing to get the rings seated quickly. Frankly I think this method should/could always have been used and is just catching on do to actual testing of what works best. There is enough information out there for people to do their own research and then do what they want. To each his own.

Congratulations Zippy!
By chance did you read the recent post on break-in and ring seating for modern motorcycles? Basically for the first 20 miles or so you should ride the bike hard so that strong cylinder pressures force rings firmly against cross-hatched hone marks in the cylinder wall allowing those hone marks to machine the rings into a good fit against cylinder wall. If ridden gently the hone marks will get polished away before they can do the cutting of the rings they were designed to do. One ends up with better compression and greater power if done this way...ignore Yamaha's recommendation to "baby" your new baby initially.

Registered
Way to go Zip!

Registered
Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah!!

Super Moderator

Registered
Hey, your zipper is open. lol Have you had enough Zipper Zippo Zippy cracks? Okay, I'm done. Hope you have a great time and experience with your new TW. I never have to worry about break in as I always buy used. Now, how do I break in my Stihl 026 chainsaw that my neighbor and I rebuilt????? You about have to run a chainsaw hard. This is not a threadjack. Just ramblings of an old fart!

Registered
The problem with this information is that the TW does not have "new engine technology", ours is 1970's technology, and we simply don't know if the "finer honing" is used in our bike, nor if newer metallurgy is used in the rings, at least I don't. :confused:
There are two things that virtually all motorcycle mechanics agree on, and that is don't let it get real hot and change the RPM's a lot.

Now I broke in my 2010 TW with lots of the above, plus gradually increasing the max RPM's to redline by around 800 miles, changed to full synthetic at 2,000 miles, and at 12,500 miles I use only about 1/4 qt. between 2,000 mile oil changes and get around 70 to 85 mpg. This tells me my procedure was correct.

The BMW manual, on the other hand, said only "vary the throttle opening and engine speed range frequently; avoid driving for long periods at constant speed" + keep it under 5,000 RPM for~500 miles. The original synthetic oil went to 6,000 miles as per the book recommendation. At 24,000 miles it uses exactly zero oil every 6,000 miles....apples and oranges, except that the admonition to keep the RPM's moderate for 5 to 8,00 miles and vary the throttle a lot is identical. It worked for me, and the same basic ideas have also worked in every new motor I've ever had in fifty years. I won't drive or ride a new engine of any kind like I stole it until it has around 1,000 miles, then I take it to redline a few times and call it good. Generally I don't take my engines all the way to redline very often, just a few times a year after break-in. Shifting so that you remain right in the middle of the best torque range actually produces faster acceleration in most machines.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So far I have 31 km on the clock, I have been not gentle with the rpm and not hard either. Going up and down the box regular. Just a short ride with a 60kph top speed for a short time. It came with zero km on the clock and boy does it smell when getting warm.
I intend to drive it to work a few times and then change the oil.
But getting back to the ride, it did just what I hoped and I have not done this for over 25 years....totally enjoyed the ride :D I have not rode for pleasure for so long, just a work commuter.
I went on 3 short runs, and never even realized it was 10 pm when I got in.
Pentax Q7,08 lens by ronald embree, on Flickr

Super Moderator
Awesome! You will be dreaming about it now and get no sleep for a week! And... That's just how it should be!

So far I have 31 km on the clock, I have been not gentle with the rpm and not hard either. Going up and down the box regular. Just a short ride with a 60kph top speed for a short time.
But getting back to the ride, it did just what I hoped and I have not done this for over 25 years....totally enjoyed the ride :D I have not rode for pleasure for so long, just a work commuter.

Registered
So far I have 31 km on the clock, I have been not gentle with the rpm and not hard either. Going up and down the box regular. Just a short ride with a 60kph top speed for a short time. It came with zero km on the clock and boy does it smell when getting warm.
think you're having fun now, just wait!!

Super Moderator
Awesome! You will be dreaming about it now and get no sleep for a week! And... That's just how it should be!
haha. I actually dream of riding bikes often. Quite often in fact. :D

And then I always wake up wanting to really go ride my bikes!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts