TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Im in Miramar, FL, I don't suspect I'll be seeing any trails anytime soon, at least not without having to carry the bike somewhere, so here are the 2 options I'm looking at:

Modifying the bike strictly for street, i.e. tires, sprocket, and the list goes on

or

Just selling it and getting a road bike.

I haven't ridden around here yet to see if it can really handle the traffic or not. I don't plan on hitting any interstates and the area around where I live, west of turnpike and I95, have all speed limits set below 50. I could to a full mod to the bike I guess, I just don't know if I want to spend that much time in the garage working on it.

thoughts? Is this bike even sellable down here?

Super Moderator
A TW will sell anywhere I think. With 50mph speeds around you, I'd probably keep the bike. It's cheaper than getting a new one, unless you really want one. I would leave the tires on the bike and use them rather than buy street tires for now. Eventually you will find if you like the TW riding there and can decide from there. You could just leave the bike with 14/50 (if that's what you have) since it does well with stock gearing at those speeds or just change the rear sprocket to a 47 or so. Just my opinion.

Registered
If you can have only one bike, and you are sure that you will be doing only on-road riding, I suspect you will be happier with another bike.

IMO, the problem with the TW is not the top speed, but the time it takes to get up to speed.

jb

Registered
Here in California anyway, 55mph means everybody travels 60-65. Right around reasonable
top speed for a TW. No reserve for passing and you can't maintain speed on a hill. Not a safe
situation IMHO. The lowness of the TW is great for riding but not so great for being visible
to vehicles trying to kill you. So if your doing much riding at all on 55 mph roads, you'd do better
on a different bike. Even a 250 dual sport with narrower tires would be fine.

Registered
If you are planning on riding with the Blue Hairs and Crazy Drugged ups in Florida, that is taking your life in your hands, regardless of what you are riding....Street Riding in Florida is akin to being a Christian tossed to the Lions back in the Old Biblical Days....:eek:

Registered
I know it is like blasphemy on a "real motorcycle" site. But for around town my ride of choice is my Zuma 50 scooter. No registration, or insurance, reasonable storage for a couple bags of groceries, a hook to hang a couple more if needed. Fuel injected, 130+ mpg, good acceleration off the line (for a scooter) about 40 MPH top speed. Even does a little gentle offroad.

Banned
A lot of the bike company's have low down and interest right now, I would get a Honda CB500 and sale the TW if it was me. but if was me I would keep the TW.

Registered
The beauty of Florida is there are tons of places to ride. Not only the typical "off-road" areas, but also lots of abandoned housing developments, backroads, and secondary roads.
For off-road, check out: Where to Ride / Off Highway Vehicles (OHV) / Recreation / Florida Forest Service / Divisions & Offices / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services
The only BAD part about Florida... besides the oppressive heat and humidity in summertime, is the wintertime Blue-Hair-Bobber season. Between college students forgetting how to apply brakes and octogenarians forgetting where the accelerator is located, traffic can be hell.
My personal opinion... keep the TW until you decide you want to ride a motorcycle there at all. If you do decide to become one with the seasonal road hazards, then gear that puppy up for the road and enjoy the ability to whip out of the way when needed.

Registered
My bike is as fast as a 1200cc Sportster up to about 40-45mph. Isn't that fast enough to keep up down there? :eek:
C'mon LT, matching the performance of an HD Sporty isn't exactly anything to brag about! ;) (Sorry TWROG, just pokin' fun!)

I'll add my voice to the chorus and say that for a street-only bike, there are many, many better choices than the TRAILway 200. I can see how a street-oriented TW would be a great bike in a major metropolitan area like NYC or Tokyo, but for anywhere with higher prevailing traffic speeds than 25 mph something with a lot more HP and bigger, better brakes is going to be a lot more fun to ride most of the time.

Keeping up with traffic is one thing, but being on a powerful street bike that can dominate traffic is something else entirely. I suppose it comes down to personal preference, but for me slow-poking on the pavement just isn't where it's at.

Super Moderator
:D I knew someone would have something to say...maybe the Harleys are slow..but they "sound" like they are hauling A.

Still though for a 200cc, our bikes don't do soooo badly, do they?

I'm just trying to keep nunya from selling his TW and regretting it later and going into debt possibly on a new bike. But yes a larger bike would be safer.

Registered
Still though for a 200cc, our bikes don't do soooo badly, do they?

I'm just trying to keep nunya from selling his TW and regretting it later and going into debt possibly on a new bike. But yes a larger bike would be safer.
Honestly no, they really aren't BAD in traffic. I usually leave the Trump (with the extra 120 HP) sitting in the driveway at least once or twice a week to brave my commute on the TW just for the extra smiles-per-gallon. That said, I still opt to saddle up the bigger bike for street duty more often than not. Right tool for the job, and all of that.

There's definitely something fun about riding the same bike to work during the week that you ride the trails with on the weekend, I got the same kick out of the same thing back when I had my lifted 'zuk.

I for one am very glad that I held on to my TW as I have added bigger bikes to the stable. More bikes is always the best solution!

Registered
If you can have only one bike, and you are sure that you will be doing only on-road riding, I suspect you will be happier with another bike.

IMO, the problem with the TW is not the top speed, but the time it takes to get up to speed.

jb
That's actually funny. I got the finger today from a Harley rider...I paced him; we were both ten mph over the speed limit; but I guess my pickup wasn't fast enough for him.

He was about four car lengths in front of me; and since I was pacing him, we held. But of course he had the BIGGER MOTOR - so I got the finger.

To the OP. If at ALL possible, keep the TW; explore another bike for your needs. Store it, if need be; but you'll eventually want to get back to it.

Most cases I'd say, sell it and buy another; but I really think the book is about to be closed on bikes like this one. Carb? Fat tires? Miinimal electronics? Almost as light as a mountain bike?

Keep it. Preserve it. The TW used market is healthy and may get healthier. This is really the last of a dying breed...the new, chipped, hyper-electronics models may look somewhat the same but they are not.

Super Moderator
ha ha What can I say? Me and a buddy race almost every time we go out. Me on the 87 TW, him on the 2012 1200cc Sportster. Every time, same thing, up to 40-45 neck to neck, then he walks away. Happens every time. I give the mighty little TW a lot of credit for that. Of course the 87's were the fastest year, they were wicked fast and dangerous, somewhat like the old Mach 3's, that's why they had to tone them down in 88. ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Too many things to quote here, but I appreciate the feedback. I'm still settling in and unpacking an enormous amount of [email protected], but wanted to start thinking about it. As for the financial situation, I won't be in debt either way, if I wanted I could drop $10K plus if need be. I had thought of a ducati scrambler, but again, not really sure I want to drop that lump of change. I haven't started work yet, so I'll probably drive to the base tomorrow morning when the traffic is negligible to get a feel for it. I have noticed a lot of morons riding down here in sneakers, shorts, tshirts, no gloves , no helmet??? I understand it's hot as hell, but still.....

I wans't looking to make a snap decision on anything, just wanted to see what you guys thought. I can easily get another bike and just keep the TW for the time being. So if I go down the road of another bike, I'd want something between a cruiser and sport, something to get into traffic with minimal effort? new/used? Not sure if I'd know what to look for on a used bike, unless said used bike came from a dealer.

Registered
C'mon LT, matching the performance of an HD Sporty isn't exactly anything to brag about! ;) (Sorry TWROG, just pokin' fun!)
Haha.........am I gaining a reputation? :)

I say explore before you do anything, you might find some nice places to get off road on the TW.

Registered
I know it is like blasphemy on a "real motorcycle" site. But for around town my ride of choice is my Zuma 50 scooter. No registration, or insurance, reasonable storage for a couple bags of groceries, a hook to hang a couple more if needed. Fuel injected, 130+ mpg, good acceleration off the line (for a scooter) about 40 MPH top speed. Even does a little gentle offroad.
I do heavier off road on my Razz I do donuts:cool: and even wheelie over:p I run that thing so hard!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts