TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically, I wiped out on my tw200 today. It slipped under me trying to go up a small hill because the ground was too soft due to rain and mud. My question is, how durable are TW200's in relation to falls? Mind you, where I and it fell was mushy grass and mud, but i'm worried. I don't think it's leaking anything, but i'll have to check again. What should I check to make sure everything is in top shape and the bike is ridable? Thanks guys.

Info: 2009 TW200. Landed on right side, where the rear break pedal is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What should I check to make sure everything is in top shape and the bike is ridable? Thanks guys.

Info: 2009 TW200. Landed on right side, where the rear break pedal is.

Doesn't sound like a big deal (except for the pride, I suppose). Just park it and look for any dripping of oil. Also look the cables over for kinks or cuts and lights for damage. They are designed to get dirty and dropped a lot, so go get it dirty and drop it a lot!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Probably the only damage it could suffer is broken turn signals and bent or broken levers. The bike is more durable than you think

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
As stated above....just check for any leaks,bent levers and the like!......TW is QUITE robust.....to say the least!!!.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Same thing happened to me on Tuesday, except it was on a sand track and a tow truck came around the corner. Luckily I halfway expected it and so I just laid her down. My brother in law behind me was able to stop in time. Picked her up, quick look over, brushed the dirt off and continued the trip. Little pain in the leg but the bike was fine. First "crash" in 14k miles. This bike is quite forgiving.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same thing happened to me on Tuesday, except it was on a sand track and a tow truck came around the corner. Luckily I halfway expected it and so I just laid her down. My brother in law behind me was able to stop in time. Picked her up, quick look over, brushed the dirt off and continued the trip. Little pain in the leg but the bike was fine. First "crash" in 14k miles. This bike is quite forgiving.

Indeed! Before I even went up I knew it was going to happen, just didn't react in time to stop myself. Little ankle pain but it's better than a highway collision and a trip to the hospital.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything seems fine gentlemen. Brake lights work and nothing seems to be leaking. I figured it was quite durable but i wasn;t sure! First drop EVER but glad I only got a muddy ass and a dirty bike as a result!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Typically it's just a little leaked gas and the signals and levers. You heal a lot easier than it, but you break a lot easier than it as well.

If you haven't already, get rid of the stock front tire and put a Shinko 244 on there. It'll make washing out happen a lot less. And try to live on the rear brake in slick stuff, unless you're risking rolling backwards.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Glad you are ok. Don't worry about the bike, so much.

I have fallen more then I care to remember (New York is muddy don't let anyone tell you different). Only issue I had was when I pulled a wheely I came up too high and jumped off the bike and it basically flipped. It cracked the mud guard and the tabs the mud guard mounted to on the sub frame so I lost my tag and tail light, but was able to fix it.

I have also dropped it on pavement trying to pop start it. I bent the front brake lever, thats it.

Hardest crash I had was at about 30 on softish ground. All i needed to do was bend my shift lever back into place and adjust my mirrors. These things are built like tanks.

Reading this now, I think I need some practice.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If I don't drop it when I'm playing in the dirt I'm not pushing hard enough. These bikes are WAY more durable and capable than most riders will allow. Have FUN and push it hard!!!

I strip everything I can off so I don't break stuff. Bark Busters and a functional bash plate are essential. When you're done paying put the legal stuff back on.

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
My son ride my 93 like it was a WR250, and it still holding up well. He's torn off the tail end going up some rocky stuff and lost it, it tumbled back down the 100yard hill and after letting the spilled fuel evaporate, fired right up. He picked a different line and made it the second try. They will drive through hell and back from my experience.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I lost it on a steep V rock, killed the engine, grabbed the front brake as I was sliding backwards.

Down goes the bike on the right side, blinker busted, I flipped over backwards, H2O pack cushioned the backflip,

pride hurt, fired up and tried a different line, tada.

I have a homemade Cyclerack style rack which kept the seat and exhaust clear as it slid down the rock.

VDR

1 - 20 of 27 Posts