TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- Recalls and safety alerts

Just wanted to bring attention to this opportunity for a brand new replacement shock for your Tw200. I came across this while travelling the internet. It's also been covered on the forum, but worth repeating... http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/3075-free-rear-shock-recall.html My 1989 received a brand new rear shock right before xmas. The local dealer performed the entire task for free. All I did was drop it off and pick it up.

The recall is old, but does come up in the system. It took the guy a little while to get the paperwork, and they "highly doubted it would be valid" I had to stand my ground and sound intelligent (exhausting) but it worked.

It's easier than rebuilding an old shock... and for me the stock unit is fine. Heck, you could even get it done and then remove it and sell it on ebay. Your call.

Most importantly, it's a safety issue. The rear shock has a tiny little weld holding the bottom bracket to the shock.. it can fail :/ Get it done!

Maybe we could make the recall a sticky? I don't know if there have been any other recalls for the tw200 but it's worth having up and available for new members.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Unfortunately, this recall was only in Canada :(.

Is there any chance that a Canadian dealer would exchange just a 1987-2000 shock for a new one without doing the actual replacement? If so, I (might?) be happy to pay shipping both ways if one of our Canadian forum members would be willing to do the exchange :D!

I realize that this scenario is probably highly unlikely to work, but I just thought that I would throw it out there for consideration.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Welllllllllllll the shock would at least have to be charged to a bike with a Canadian VIN and I already did the recall on my 99. Canadians are nice but not that nice lol.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I don't understand why it only applies to Canadian bikes. It's dangerous at worst and inconvenient at best when it fails. LuvNot's bike had a rear shock mount failure at the 2017 Green Ridge ride so it does happen. Fortunately it didn't result in a bad crash.

Reactions: Peterb

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
If there's any logic to Canada recall only ...it could be that a batch shipped to Canada was found to have the defect. But that is a lot of years there....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just saw this and phoned my local dealer, they are ordering and will swap out the rear shock on my 1990 TW, they did ask for the vin to verify it hadn't been done already. Its pretty cool they are honoring this

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Amazing that they would still do the recall on a 1990. Got my free shock when I bought my 99. Broke my mirror off about a week ago and was looking for a used one then decided to call the dealer... OEM for $25. I really like Yamaha some days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts