TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

Registered
My dad was in Korea just south of the DMZ but with weekly excursions into the DMZ. They used agent orange to make sure the DMZ was nothing but dirt. He has cancer now but has been denied benefits from it. Really sucks.

Registered
Interesting and finally a good thing might happen. I was an air crewman on a Chinook back during Vietnam and all we did all day long was sling pallets of that crap under the chopper and drop it on the ships. I honestly can't say I ever even smelled the stuff but those who were In Country where it was used certainly did and a lot of my pals have died from the effects.

GaryL

Registered
Nha Trang AB 196933.jpg

The Kids at Nha Trang would use any old Air Force and Military "stuff/junk" as playground equipment....I snapped many, many, photos, while at Nha Trang{not so may during my time at Tan Son Nhut{Saigon}, and I always wonder how the local kids ended up and if they survived.....as for me? I blame nothing whether my mental illness:eek: or splash of Diabetes 2 or anything else....not blaming those or denying that many have illness related to their service....I can only speak for myself...no a hint of f'ing PTSD or any cancers....but Hell I'm only 66....:p

I purchased my first house through the VA, received a Associate, Bachelors, and Masters degree thanks to the VA Funds, and use the VA as my alternative to that f'ing disaster called ObamaCare.....

I have no bitch at all, Hell for a couple tours in Vietnam and 4 years service I did all right.....

Nha Trang Civilian Gate.jpg Nha Trang AB 196947.jpg Nha Trang AB 196961.jpg Hoot V100 Nha Trang.jpg

Registered
My dad was in Korea just south of the DMZ but with weekly excursions into the DMZ. They used agent orange to make sure the DMZ was nothing but dirt. He has cancer now but has been denied benefits from it. Really sucks.
Not to start a rant.......BUT, I feel it's a travesty of justice when all the guys that served in Nam and Korea, who went through immeasurable hardship and exposed to stuff like AO, came back to less than a heroes welcome and denied benefits. Now I have a 27 year old neighbor who was deployed ONE TIME over in the sand box, never once got into a TIC, never fired a hostile shot and conversely never took enemy fire. Yet now he gets money monthly for PTSD. WTF!

Registered
Not to start a rant.......BUT, I feel it's a travesty of justice when all the guys that served in Nam and Korea, who went through immeasurable hardship and exposed to stuff like AO, came back to less than a heroes welcome and denied benefits. Now I have a 27 year old neighbor who was deployed ONE TIME over in the sand box, never once got into a TIC, never fired a hostile shot and conversely never took enemy fire. Yet now he gets money monthly for PTSD. WTF!
Way to many in my war{Vietnam} who never saw sheet, are getting 100%...like I said, I don't hold it against them, but I know there is a lot of BSing going on....which takes away from the guys that really need it....

Registered
Working the system is the way this world of ours is going and I don't like it one bit. After my service I went to college and did receive OJT benefits when I took a job in Corrections/law enforcement.
I bought my first wife a house with a VA loan and today I get a tiny check for hearing loss and tinnitus caused by sitting under two big engines with BS hearing protection for so long. I see people scamming the system from every walk of life and from every job and don't even think about all who are collecting social security disability benefits who have never honestly paid a dime in to the system.

GaryL

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #8
I was exposed to Agent Orange and also have PTSD. I've never filed for benefits from the Government , nor have they ever handed me any $. They admit I got exposed and am so far an Agent Orange Survivor. I've thought about applying for compensation but figured I wouldn't live long enough to collect it after fighting and waiting for it to go through.

Registered
I was exposed to Agent Orange and also have PTSD. I've never filed for benefits from the Government , nor have they ever handed me any $. They admit I got exposed and am so far an Agent Orange Survivor. I've thought about applying for compensation but figured I wouldn't live long enough to collect it after fighting and waiting for it to go through.
Just my personal opinion here but I think you are being foolish! Every A hole who has nothing wrong is scamming the system while those who have honest issues are too proud to use the money as it was intended to be used. File a dam claim already and I and many others will be proud to pay the bills.

GaryL

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just my personal opinion here but I think you are being foolish! Every A hole who has nothing wrong is scamming the system while those who have honest issues are too proud to use the money as it was intended to be used. File a dam claim already and I and many others will be proud to pay the bills.

GaryL
Gary Sir, I really appreciate that last comment, sincerely bro. You wouldn't believe on how little I get by on. Yes, I am one of those Social Security Disability people who drain the Government. Then I read, they want to take 20% of it away. Gee, my stress level goes way up when I read that kind of stuff. Some of the poorest people in America, (some of them Veterans) barely getting by (really not at all) I sure could be living a better quality of lifestyle if I had those benefits. Besides having only 2 nice things, (my bikes) and a ride on them once in a while, life pretty well sucks. Thanks again for the compliment, it was the highlight of my day G. I've been so close to having to live on the street, a couple times. That's pretty scary at my age and with my health issues.

Registered
Gary Sir, I really appreciate that last comment, sincerely bro. You wouldn't believe on how little I get by on. Yes, I am one of those Social Security Disability people who drain the Government. Then I read, they want to take 20% of it away. Gee, my stress level goes way up when I read that kind of stuff. Some of the poorest people in America, (some of them Veterans) barely getting by (really not at all) I sure could be living a better quality of lifestyle if I had those benefits. Besides having only 2 nice things, (my bikes) and a ride on them once in a while, life pretty well sucks. Thanks again for the compliment, it was the highlight of my day G. I've been so close to having to live on the street, a couple times. That's pretty scary at my age and with my health issues.
LT, as long as I am still breathing and have this roof over my head, you will never have to worry about being homeless bro. The door is always open. I sincerely mean that! You may be better off with agent orange than my cooking though.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #12
LT, as long as I am still breathing and have this roof over my head, you will never have to worry about being homeless bro. The door is always open. I sincerely mean that! You may be better off with agent orange than my cooking though.
Thanks brother Will. I can't cook at all, so it would be living high on the hog for me!! :D I hope my post didn't go over as a "woe is me" story. I didn't mean for it to be. Facts are facts though. Life can be hard. I just wish they would take better care of Veterans of foreign wars without all the hoops to jump through or having to prove yourself and then get the run around...

Registered
Thanks brother Will. I can't cook at all, so it would be living high on the hog for me!! :D I hope my post didn't go over as a "woe is me" story. I didn't mean for it to be. Facts are facts though. Life can be hard. I just wish they would take better care of Veterans of foreign wars without all the hoops to jump through or having to prove yourself and then get the run around...
Not at all and I didn't take it like that, Gary, Hoot and yourself are all correct. I'm sorta in the same boat, I too suffered significant hearing loss from the flight deck on carriers. They didn't have fancy or effective hearing protection in the late 70s. So here I sit with major tinnitus and a constant ringing in my ears for over 35 years, I feel that I wouldn't outlive the battle for the benefits. It's a different day and age now and we were born either a hundred years too late, or 30 years too early.

Registered
I don't know if you both are being too proud or just foolish but I was the same way for over 35 years and never wanted to complain. My wife was the one who screamed on me to go get my hearing checked and the VA Rep was the one who filled out all the forms and set up the appointments. It took over 2 1/2 years from the time I submitted my claim and three different hearing tests and examinations. When I finally got approved for 10% it was retroactive back to the day I filed the claim and it sure was a beautiful day to get a fat check in the mail of close to $4,000 and a guaranteed $130/month plus hearing aids when I need them. Tinnitus sucks and does nothing but get worse as you age. I have to sleep with background noise, TV, Radio, or a fan or AC going or it drives me buggy. There is no such a thing as silence in my world.

If you don't go and file a claim then all I can say is Quityerbitchen and you snooze you lose while others who are undeserving take home your bacon.

GaryL

Registered
When I was was researching it for my dad I found out how easy it is for newer vets to get compensation even for things like..................restless leg syndrome. They do all they can to make sure the older vets get as little as possible.

Im a vet but when I served there was nothing going on 82-86. I dont want and dont think I should get anything. If you ask me if you served while in ANY conflict you should be taken care of medically no matter if the condition was caused by your service or not.

Registered
When I was was researching it for my dad I found out how easy it is for newer vets to get compensation even for things like..................restless leg syndrome. They do all they can to make sure the older vets get as little as possible.

Im a vet but when I served there was nothing going on 82-86. I dont want and dont think I should get anything. If you ask me if you served while in ANY conflict you should be taken care of medically no matter if the condition was caused by your service or not.
As hard as it is to say this and NO, I don't like saying it! The scumbags who burned down Baltimore will get more of our tax dollars than any of those who have ever served in our military and they did nothing for it but cost us more. When the idiots we elect come to their senses and begin to realize the cold hard facts is when I will change my mind. Until then, I would rather see my tax dollars go to those who at least did something for them. Sorry Rog but when you and all the rest of us signed up to serve we all were very well aware we may very well have to pay that bill with our lives.

I did 27 years in the NY prison system to get 50% in a pension that I earned. I know scumbags that got or claimed to get hurt while in the academy and never stepped a foot inside a prison who are getting 75% of what they never earned. I will never advocate taking what is not honestly yours but far too many do and it is our political leaders that allow this crap to happen. It will be the death of America and no one will be held accountable.

GaryL

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know if you both are being too proud or just foolish but I was the same way for over 35 years and never wanted to complain. My wife was the one who screamed on me to go get my hearing checked and the VA Rep was the one who filled out all the forms and set up the appointments. It took over 2 1/2 years from the time I submitted my claim and three different hearing tests and examinations. When I finally got approved for 10% it was retroactive back to the day I filed the claim and it sure was a beautiful day to get a fat check in the mail of close to $4,000 and a guaranteed $130/month plus hearing aids when I need them. Tinnitus sucks and does nothing but get worse as you age. I have to sleep with background noise, TV, Radio, or a fan or AC going or it drives me buggy. There is no such a thing as silence in my world.

If you don't go and file a claim then all I can say is Quityerbitchen and you snooze you lose while others who are undeserving take home your bacon.

GaryL
Honestly, I think I've been too foolish over these last difficult years and should have filed long long ago.

Registered
Gentlemen, i'm 48 and half a world away in New Zealand.
I'm from the generation that has had no major wars (at least any that my country was involved in). We have enjoyed the freedom provided by some of you. it's that simple.
US forces have been our allies here in the pacific, and my children at least are very aware of the debt of gratitude we owe you, and i for one am happy that we - even in our small way - still support you in current conflict.
it's truly humbling to see your respect of each other and the huge open hearts here on this forum. You are certainly my kind of people - even if we are so far away.
Maybe my chiming in is inappropriate, but in case any of you wonder if the people who haven't been called to serve actually understand or appreciate what you gave (and obviously still are giving), please be assured we do.
To see you care for each other as you do is pretty special.

The wonderful human spirit is alive here, and i'm happy to be a part of this group.

Ken

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I know RBM. You guys are right. I have the hardest time even going to the VA because of my PTSD and the fact they have not treated me all that well in the past. (discrimination against my choice of medicine) (a messed up surgery) (them cancelling very important appointments on me) (a doctor who just doesn't listen to his patient) (no follow up and a failure to schedule a very important medical test and an X-ray and a Cat scan, even though I personally went down there and reminded them twice and nothing happened, no follow through, no call, no nothing) These failures on their part have complicated things here and caused needless pain and suffering. I'm as close to being housebound as I ever want to be because of them. I get frustrated with them and I hate going there. I need back surgery again and a hip replacement and a hernia surgery to start and more. I have no family here, have an old pet that needs care and I don't know how well I could recover at home right now without a little assistance. I have about given up. I have to do something soon though, so I will do my part and try again and at least make an appointment again. I will check into filing a claim soon. We'll see how they do this next time..

1 - 20 of 79 Posts