TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to put the Ceros on the TW rim and I'm pretty sure I pinched the intertube. One can tell there may be a leak as it sounds like a jet engine inside the tire! I have lots of cuss words to add at this point, some directed at me, some directed at the tire, and some directed towards the tube. I tried to be careful but must pinched it.

I'm trying to get one side of the tire back over the rim so I can change the tube. Once I get a section of the bead over the rim it's too tight and I can't get another tire spoon under the bead. Any ideas before I totally ruin a TW rear rim?

My son works at a tire shop and they won't touch do it and I'm not even asking them to air it up, just remove it.

I'm getting to know my shop chair pretty well as I sit in it all limp and stuff from the agony of defeat.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I am not looking forward to the day I have to remove the Duro.
Do you have a pic of the problem?
My brain keeps thinking push the opposite side you are trying to spoon off to the centre and once you have part of the tire off there should be some give, but I also think you will need to have the other side bead broken and in the centre.

·
Registered
13,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not looking forward to the day I have to remove the Duro.
Do you have a pic of the problem?
My brain keeps thinking push the opposite side you are trying to spoon off to the centre and once you have part of the tire off there should be some give, but I also think you will need to have the other side bead broken and in the centre.

So far I can attest it would not be fun having to change a flat out in the sticks.

Both sides of the bead are broken, but the tire bead is so wide I can't get both in the middle, not at least with only 2 arms so far. I had seen video's to zip tie the tire together so it would rest in the center of the rim, but this tire is to big and tough for that.

Still working on it...when I'm not on the computer!

·
Registered
13,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Place 3 spoons under the bead at the same time, about 8" apart. When you pull the first spoon up the other two are already in place ready to go -- at least in theory they are.

It works for me on a stock tire.

I have tried this with 2 spoons at a time and got it over the rim similar to one spoon but that wasn't quite enough. I'll give 3 spoons a try, hadn't thought of that...which is why I humbled myself and came crawling to the forum for help.

The stock rear tire was very easy to remove (and put on) compared to the Ceros so far. I even struggled quite a bit just getting the tire onto the rim. Because of the inner tube problem I haven't even got to the bead popping on rodeo!

Thanks everyone for the input so far.

·
Registered
13,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Place 3 spoons under the bead at the same time, about 8" apart. When you pull the first spoon up the other two are already in place ready to go -- at least in theory they are.

It works for me on a stock tire.
If all I had to do was post the question on line and I could get the tire off, I would have done that 2 days ago.

Anyway, I got the bead over the rim so I can replace the innertube. The method I used I'll best describe as the "accidental elime 3 spoon method". I could not really get 3 spoons at the same time to work. I did get 2 spoons separated by 6-8 inches to work and get the bead started over the rim. Now what. There is no way and the bead was too tight to start a 3rd spoon from outside of the already started area...per se.

My dad is here and suggested I start immediately next to one of the 2 spoons (on the outside). When I slipped the 3rd spoon in the opening between the stationary spoon the bead, the bead started slipping up over the rim. We slowly worked our way around the rim and the tire kept slipping up over the rim very easily. It didn't any effort to do it this way, very easy.

Now I'll way for a new inner tube and then the bead seating rodeo can begin!

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
I would have taken problem to different tire shops until one was found willing to R&R ( remove and replace ) the tube. Of course here "policy" is for motorcycle service shops to replace rather than patch customer's tube so cost of tube plus labor would need to be considered.
If my Duro ever get a flat I might have to just Sawsall through the spokes and send the hub for TW-Brian's trailer wheel conversion.;)

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I feel your pain sort of! I tried replacing my old Bridgestone with a new one, same tire. After about an hour using all my too;s and knowledge I was unable to even break the bead to get the old tire off. I accepted defeat and drove the wheel and tire to the shop and paid the $25 to have them do it. They even had a hard time with their machine getting the old tire off. The guy said it was as if they glued that original tire on to the rim because it came off in chunks.

I do wonder if a wheel shop could make a special tubeless wheel for our TWs that would easily fit the Duro or Ceros tires and not have to deal with the spokes and tubes at all? Bet they could sell a bunch of them.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I feel your pain sort of! I tried replacing my old Bridgestone with a new one, same tire. After about an hour using all my too;s and knowledge I was unable to even break the bead to get the old tire off. I accepted defeat and drove the wheel and tire to the shop and paid the $25 to have them do it. They even had a hard time with their machine getting the old tire off. The guy said it was as if they glued that original tire on to the rim because it came off in chunks.

I do wonder if a wheel shop could make a special tubeless wheel for our TWs that would easily fit the Duro or Ceros tires and not have to deal with the spokes and tubes at all? Bet they could sell a bunch of them.

GaryL

Jeeze just ust what I want to hear with a new tire on the way... Wait I'll use the backhoe lol, no... The loader blade :)

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have used wood working bar clamps to squeeze the beads together on 1/2 of the tire to force the beads to the center of the wheel to help.
I tried my wood clams, the kind that are off set with two twist handles and look like an F. I could not twist them hard enough to break the bead. My opinion is that Duro or Ceros should just make a tire with the correct bead that will fit on our rims easier so we can all use them without going through all the BS and danger associated with over inflating them to pop the beads on.

GaryL

·
Registered
13,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to old w/2 many guns & bikes I was able to continue this ATV Tire mounting rodeo adventure. A replacement tube for you is on the way old/2 many guns & bikes.

With mom & pops in town, I haven't been able to dedicate a lot towards mounting the tire but do have it mounted and sitting over a space heater covered with a tarp in the shop. I don't think the space heater gets hot enough, though. I have deflated it once and re-inflated and gained only a little more bead. Realized I needed to adjust the compressor after I couldn't get more than 50 psi. in the tire, which still seemed like a lot. Up to 70 psi. now. Hopefully, the heat will do the work for me.

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
Thanks to old w/2 many guns & bikes I was able to continue this ATV Tire mounting rodeo adventure. A replacement tube for you is on the way old/2 many guns & bikes.

With mom & pops in town, I haven't been able to dedicate a lot towards mounting the tire but do have it mounted and sitting over a space heater covered with a tarp in the shop. I don't think the space heater gets hot enough, though. I have deflated it once and re-inflated and gained only a little more bead. Realized I needed to adjust the compressor after I couldn't get more than 50 psi. in the tire, which still seemed like a lot. Up to 70 psi. now. Hopefully, the heat will do the work for me.
Ka...Boom!!! :p

·
Registered
548 Posts
Slow and steady..... and dont forget the lube, lots and lots of it. It is well worth the trouble to mount that beast as I truely love mine, its has changed the whole ride and handling of the bike. Only thing is I now have to deal with suspension as the longer swing arm has more force on the stock spring. I did talk to Denice about her and I lossing a bit of weight to off set this problem..... and when I came too and got up off the floor the spring swap seemed to be the right choice for "us".

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
This much pressure and that much heat has me a bit worried that something may let loose on you. If your still at it lay a heavy blanket over everything.

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
13,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Slow and steady..... and dont forget the lube, lots and lots of it. It is well worth the trouble to mount that beast as I truely love mine, its has changed the whole ride and handling of the bike. Only thing is I now have to deal with suspension as the longer swing arm has more force on the stock spring. I did talk to Denice about her and I lossing a bit of weight to off set this problem..... and when I came too and got up off the floor the spring swap seemed to be the right choice for "us".
I need a good bit of work on the weight thing myself. Swingarm, Swing & Arm, weight, and wife...subjects should be how nice the tree's look and avoid any weight related topics!:D

Can't remember from your great story about the process, but did you try to rotate the tire on the rim during any of your "deflated" moments?:p On mine so far the part which won't seat is the same area around the valve stem. Still I think I'm gaining ever so slowly. Oh, and did you beat the tire with a hammer to help it seat, if so, at what psi. were you doing this and did it have any positive affect?

·
Registered
13,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This much pressure and that much heat has me a bit worried that something may let loose on you. If your still at it lay a heavy blanket over everything.

So far I don't think the heat has been a problem as I don't thing the space heater gets hot enough. Right now the tire is in the back of my old car. Temperature outside can be coolish but inside still hot.

I admit I'm a bit nervous when around the tire at 70 psi. so I make my time around the tire short. I air it up with an extended hose with one of those locking air chucks. I might add some straps slightly wrapped around the tire/rim. Just enough. I missed the episode of Myth Busters when they tried mounting an ATV tire on the TW :p, so not super confident in the whole process until I have success...and hopefully not failure. I keep my distance.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
So far I don't think the heat has been a problem as I don't thing the space heater gets hot enough. Right now the tire is in the back of my old car. Temperature outside can be coolish but inside still hot.

I admit I'm a bit nervous when around the tire at 70 psi. so I make my time around the tire short. I air it up with an extended hose with one of those locking air chucks. I might add some straps slightly wrapped around the tire/rim. Just enough. I missed the episode of Myth Busters when they tried mounting an ATV tire on the TW :p, so not super confident in the whole process until I have success...and hopefully not failure. I keep my distance.
I'll throw this out there for what it's worth. I'm a jeep nut, been a rock crawler etc. I used to mount tractor tires on a cj8 with a 351 Cleveland built to 600 HP for Mud Hops when I was young. We fought tooth and nail as they say to get them on there and it was always a nightmare, talk about stiff tires, we got them used off of old farm equipment, never new...just kids in our 20's and broke mostly. Once we got them on and loaded with enough air to support the jeep we would drive on them doing "burn outs" to get the damn things to seat. Just a thought, lower the pressure and try driving on it a bit, the flexy side wall might just walk over and pop on.. I don't see you doing burnouts though! :)

Reactions: littletommy
1 - 20 of 44 Posts