TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a big believer in triangulating headlights to increase our visibility to other drivers. I installed Motolights on my BMW several years ago and I am very happy with them.

But the Motolights are kind of pricey and I am looking for an alternative on my son's T-dub.

What have you guys done to increase your visibility?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't think the electric system of the Tdub can handle any extra incandescent bulbs. Maybe if you can find a LED solution....

On a recent trip my buddy had an electric problem with his head light (the switch malfunctioned) so we put a couple of LED flashlight tight with ziptights in his side guards. We were extremely surprised that you could see them even in daylight and they provided enough light to get us to a local shop to fix the switch.

Some of the new CREE LEDs are very impressive.

Maybe you could use a halogen fog light housing with these LED Lamps. They use only 2.1 watts.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't think the electric system of the Tdub can handle any extra incandescent bulbs. Maybe if you can find a LED solution....

On a recent trip my buddy had an electric problem with his head light (the switch malfunctioned) so we put a couple of LED flashlight tight with ziptights in his side guards. We were extremely surprised that you could see them even in daylight and they provided enough light to get us to a local shop to fix the switch.

Some of the new CREE LEDs are very impressive.

Maybe you could use a halogen fog light housing with these LED Lamps. They use only 2.1 watts.

I agree, the TW alternator output is very limiting. LED solution is a good idea.

In order for me to use an electric vest I had to install LED bulbs for the turn signals and brake light, I also had to lower the headlight wattage from 55w to 35w using a scooter bulb. And then I can only use the vest when rpm is above 5000 (when cruising-in town stop and go I turn the vest off). I have looked into a higher output alternator but sofar have not been able to find a supplier.

Output ratings are: (multiply by 12 to get approximate wattage).

1500 rpm- 1.5 amps

5000 rpm- 11.0 amps

8000 rpm- 20 amps

I also have a Battery Bug (lower right) that monitors the bike's electrical system (volts/cranking power/battery condition)-since I have worn down the battery several times and not known it until too late.

Mike

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ha ha ha ha, that's a ton of equipment on the Tdub!

True!

This bike has been many remote places; Pony Express Trail, Utah Desert, Great Basin in Nevada, various Nevada mines, traveled from Washington (State) to Minnesota pulling a single-wheeled trailer, and explored the forests of the Pacific Northwet.

A good reliable machine.

Next year I hope that I can go on another long ride or reprise in part the WA to MN ride and travel more dirt roads.

The main purpose of the Vapor Gage is TACH and CHT-which I might switch over to oil temp this winter or maybe add another gage???

The Vapor Gage and GPS draw very little electrical power and at times I operate them off their own battery power.

Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
VisionX USA has LED lights with low amp draw that will fit in with the TW profile. Solstice solo 2"

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Switch everything but headlight to LEDs. Convert headlight to HID. Add LED auxilary headlights.

I don't worry about being seen by people in front of me. I can see them and take action to get their asttention, such as weaving in my lane, flashing headlight, blowing horn, etc. It's the idiots behind that I worry about.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have some extra reflectors and a LED receiver hitch brake light on the rear. But my main concern is being seen from the front. I have been using a Comagination headlight modulator and an OSRAM 70/65w bulb for about two years. It was very easy to install and has been trouble free so far. It is an absolutely amazing bit of safety equipment. I wish I had a dollar for every driver that started to pull out in front of me and then suddenly slams on their brakes wondering what is coming their way! Many drivers give me double takes or just sit there paralyzed thinking "what the heck". I'm just fine with that, heh heh. BTW the OSRAM rally 70/65 watt bulb is a tremendous improvement over the stock bulb. It is just pure clean light, no foo foo blue plasma krypton hyper-gas. Also some here have suggested that a modulator may decrease the electrical load. I can only report zero charging/electrical problems so far with my modulator and slightly oversize halogen bulb. Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
VisionX USA has LED lights with low amp draw that will fit in with the TW profile. Solstice solo 2"

++1 on the visionx. Mounted 2 on my bonnoeville windshield aimed for spotting deer-critters, and does the job. Also added in o-rings so can adjust on the fly. That with an oshram bulb in the headlight, gives me all the light I need. Plan on doing the same on the Tdub.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Those of you who like to run a lot of gadgets may also want to consider having your Stator re-wound for more power. Ricky Stator seems to have a pretty good reputation though I've never personally dealt with them and I'm not sure if they work on TW Stators (though I don't know why they wouldn't) if anyone could get the stock Stator to work better it would be these folks. Website: www.rickystator.com

--Kevin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts