TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Awesome old-schl Jeep-platform "side by side" -- 4x4, diesel, low range t-case, 5 spd

The Mahindra Roxor! I am in love with the design philosophy of this vehicle (IF it were street legal...) -- 100 percent bare-bones, old-school, minimalist, absolutely NO extra crap added onto it, and sensible and simple mechanical components. If it were street legal (and IF it's reliable), I'd have it over a brand new Rubicon JL any day! Some quick highlights (from the video and Mahindra official specs sheet):

--2.5 liter 4-cylinder direct injection turbo diesel: 144 foot pounds at 1,400 RPM!!! (I bet it feels like a a smaller version of the old 4.2 liter straight six on the bottom end! , much like my 4Runner's 2.7 I4 feels a whole lot like a small version of the XJ 4-liter I6!), 62 horsepower (fine by me...!)

--classic five speed manual transmission

--solid front axle

--3.73 gear ratio and proper low range transfer case (good old 2 hi, 4 hi, and 4 lo)

--3,035 pound curb weight

--3,500 pound towing capacity (apparently only in first or maybe second gear, LOL, but hey, I'll take it)

--rear drum brakes...undoubtedly garbage. God I hate drums.

*Note: The video presenter claims this is the only side by side with a 5 speed and manual clutch; that's not true: there's the Yamaha YXZ1000.

Personally, I find it totally asinine that our government allows us to ride motorcycles on public roads but not one of these, because it doesn't meet automotive industry safety standards. Sorry, but come on, that is stupid. If we can ride a motorcycle legally, there is just no reason not to be able to drive something like this! How seriously cool would it be if you could buy one of these (or something like it) brand new and use it on the street.

I don't know about the reliability. I might assume that it would be pretty good, but I just do not know. And I guess that's the big question. For me personally, it would need to be able to last AT LEAST 100,000 miles without issues. Also, I wouldn't buy it as an off-road-only toy, unless I were very wealthy and already had lots of toys. Then this thing would be a nice novelty piece. Without street legality and extreme reliability, there is just absolutely no competition whatsoever compared to the Yamaha.

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
Top Gear rated the pre-Roxor Mahrinda Jeep years ago as one of the worst vehicles in the world. Better now.
Yet somehow KJ, wouldn't you rather have a Shaman?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Fred: Hmm, interesting. I wonder how the Roxor would compare. But yea, that and legality would be the two big hurdles for me. The Shaman is pretty nifty LOL but too slow and...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...haha ;) I know the Roxor is not a realistic possibility right now, I just like the minimalist approach to design. It doesn't have any stupid, boring, overweight, overpriced "features". I hate features. They are just extra weight and a grand waste of time, space, and money, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe some time in the next couple decades I can find an old YJ or CJ in someone's barn and do a mechanical restoration with replacement engine, trans, axles, suspension, etc. I actually roughly calculated that I could do that with all brand new components for like 16 to 18 grand (right around the price of a new non-legal Roxor, coincidentally) including the purchase of a broken-down pile of a beater YJ (basically would only need a half-decent frame and body -- not really an issue in SoCal).

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
delete

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
Good plan to do your own reliable simple build. These already well built Suzukies can occasionally be found for reasonable money, or start with a stock and up the 2.5 inch suspension travel with some coils and Dana 44s. I've seem a few really move quicker than any jeep over broken rocky Sierra terrain. Suzuki.jpg

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
The Roxor review video was unfortunately filmed in rather mild terrain I would not hesitate to take a Crown Victoria through. Something requiring 4-lo would better demonstrate the differences and strengths of a Jeep like vehicle compared to the competing off-road only side-by-sides ( which are legal around here for road use in municipalities with less than 40,000 souls).
Day play is great, and perhaps by far the most common use of 4x4s and UTVs here in America. However there ability to carry camp gear, pets and family on overnights deep in the Nasties seems to be best demonstrated by true, or skelonized 4x4s.
My childhood was flavored by stock CJ5s, perhaps towing a 4x6 trailer full of camp gear, through what is now considered some really worn out Sierra Extreme Jeep routes. Old narrow jeeps like the Mahindra could fit between obstacles that thwart their modern interpretations. A new jeep will not fit between many a tree!

·
Registered
805 Posts
My buddy and neighbor has a Samurai and it convinced me to get my own. I have $8,000 into it and it's now bone stock. Runs GREAT!
His is all hopped up and he's wanting to sell his for $8,000. The guy is a machinist and knows what he's doing when it came to modding his Zuk. Here's a video;

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
If I was inclined to get a UTV Side-by-Side, I'd get one of these because they look cool and are smaller than an present day Jeep. I wouldn't care if they were street legal or not, I just love the looks. Of course I do have ample places out here to drive them were that may not be possible in many other parts of the U.S.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ski Pro 3, our bud in the video and I are all Suzuki Samurai owners. Mine is a tin top and is in very good condition.

I took the video.. This is with 4.16:1 transfer case.. He now has 6:1's... Nice.

0112181552.jpg

Jim

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The Roxor review video was unfortunately filmed in rather mild terrain I would not hesitate to take a Crown Victoria through. Something requiring 4-lo would better demonstrate the differences and strengths of a Jeep like vehicle compared to the competing off-road only side-by-sides ( which are legal around here for road use in municipalities with less than 40,000 souls).
Day play is great, and perhaps by far the most common use of 4x4s and UTVs here in America. However there ability to carry camp gear, pets and family on overnights deep in the Nasties seems to be best demonstrated by true, or skelonized 4x4s.
My childhood was flavored by stock CJ5s, perhaps towing a 4x6 trailer full of camp gear, through what is now considered some really worn out Sierra Extreme Jeep routes. Old narrow jeeps like the Mahindra could fit between obstacles that thwart their modern interpretations. A new jeep will not fit between many a tree!

It seems like this vehicle is catching on really fast in spite of real and potential shortcomings (who doesn't want a brand new Willy's Jeep LOL?). So there seem to be a bunch of videos popping up fast. To be fair, I think we have to keep in mind that this doesn't have side by side suspension or anything; the Roxor is sitting on like 26" all-terrain tires, has open diffs front and rear, and is only rockin 9 inches of ground clearance. My mods would be 1) protection, 2) front and rear lockers. I might just leave it like that or might do a small/moderate lift, tires, and gearing. I really enjoyed some of the stuff on Dirt Every Day (now Motor Trend wants people to pay for it LOL...good luck to them...), and the smaller guy in this video was (is?) one of the presenters on that show. I, too, would like to see it do some more difficult stuff. I have little doubt that it is quite capable, even bone stock. My only questions are the reliability and if it could possibly ever be legitimately 50-state legal from the factory (doubt it!).

I just watched another video of a plated one in Montana. The poster said she was getting 30 miles per gallon! I believe that was with the ECU flashed and the top speed de-restricted.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ski Pro 3, our bud in the video and I are all Suzuki Samurai owners. Mine is a tin top and is in very good condition.

I took the video.. This is with 4.16:1 transfer case.. He now has 6:1's... Nice.

View attachment 187260

Jim

That is a beautiful little rig. I love the look of the hard-body Suzukis. Also, those high-reduction transfer cases are awesome. IIRC, the case in the Cherokees is like 2.72:1, and those are seriously low in first gear (of course, the transmission's actual gears are quite low there, too). You know about the new Jimney, right? I've been seriously drooling over it since it was introduced. I think there is definitely a market for it in the U.S., and I think some manufacturers are starting to catch on to the real demand that's out there for something different.

·
Registered
507 Posts
KJ, I too like the Jimney a lot! Let me tell you what you could do with the $20,000+ you would spend on that ROXOR to completely fix up a Samurai! I have about 7K in mine. Engine, 4.16 Transfer Case gears and a few other things. I do not crawl the rocks like my bud. I do desert, forest roads etc.

Jim

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you want to cure yourself of the Mahindra fever, just go to Sri Lanka or India and drive or ride in one for a while... I wanted to like them, but couldn't. Then again, I'm not a real big Jeep fan.

My daily driver's since 1986 have been a Samurai hardtop, a 77 FJ40 LandCruiser and a 88 HJ61 LandCruiser. Still have the cruisers, wish I kept the Sammy too.

If you really wanted an old school Jeep, just import a Mitsubishi J53 or J54. You'd be Waaaaay ahead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts