TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a TW200 a few months ago and took it to the AZ Strip for its first outing. The AZ Strip is the portion of AZ that lies north of the Colorado River. I camped out in Houserock Valley which is on the east side of AZ Strip. There are free ranging buffalo there, but I did not encounter any on my trip. I used my camp as a hub for exploring and predator calling.

One of the places I visited was North Canyon. I decided to use this picture for my avatar.

North Canyon is a little tributary that drains into the Colorado River. The cliffs at the top of the picture is where the Colorado River is located. North Canyon is also part of the Grand Canyon National Park.

This is looking upstream into North Canyon where it starts as a box canyon.

The farthest I could travel south of camp was to the boundary of the Saddle Mountain Wilderness Area. I came across a wildlife water catchment there maintained by the AZ Game and Fish Dept. The high mesh wire fencing was to keep the buffalo and deer off the water collection structure.

The notices in the area stated this was a “controlled burn.” The burning was being done on the Kaibab Plateau near Saddle Mountain.

A few days later I needed to get some ice. The closest place was Cliff Dwellers Lodge which was about 65 miles round trip from camp. I used the TW200 to get the ice and haul it back to camp. I found out the action packer box holds two10 pound blocks of ice perfectly inside. I quickly learned it also makes the front wheel lighter and the bike handled much differently on the washboard road back to camp.

I did try to do some predator calling, but had no luck. My problem was that I was having so much fun riding the TW200, I did not spend much time predator calling. On the last day I got a flat front tire about 1 mile from camp. Drove the bike back to camp on the flat. Broke camp and headed home.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I just got a TW200 a few months ago and took it to the AZ Strip for its first outing. The AZ Strip is the portion of AZ that lies north of the Colorado River. I camped out in Houserock Valley which is on the east side of AZ Strip. There are free ranging buffalo there, but I did not encounter any on my trip. I used my camp as a hub for exploring and predator calling.

One of the places I visited was North Canyon. I decided to use this picture for my avatar.

North Canyon is a little tributary that drains into the Colorado River. The cliffs at the top of the picture is where the Colorado River is located. North Canyon is also part of the Grand Canyon National Park.

This is looking upstream into North Canyon where it starts as a box canyon.

The farthest I could travel south of camp was to the boundary of the Saddle Mountain Wilderness Area. I came across a wildlife water catchment there maintained by the AZ Game and Fish Dept. The high mesh wire fencing was to keep the buffalo and deer off the water collection structure.

The notices in the area stated this was a “controlled burn.” The burning was being done on the Kaibab Plateau near Saddle Mountain.

A few days later I needed to get some ice. The closest place was Cliff Dwellers Lodge which was about 65 miles round trip from camp. I used the TW200 to get the ice and haul it back to camp. I found out the action packer box holds two10 pound blocks of ice perfectly inside. I quickly learned it also makes the front wheel lighter and the bike handled much differently on the washboard rode back to camp.

I did try to do some predator calling, but had no luck. My problem was that I was having so much fun riding the TW200, I did not spend much time hunting. On the last day I got a flat front tire about 1 mile from camp. Drove the bike back to camp on the flat. Broke camp and headed home.
Great pics, and sounds like you had a fun time. Kind of cool up there now isn't it?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
seeing the rifle, i'm guessing "predator calling" is to draw them in for depredation? what kinds?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Predator hunting and a tw....if you had tits id be calling you over to **** you, but instead, ill ask how you made out. Heard theres some big yotes up there. Ive been stuck down here in the valley tryin gmy luck for fox and coyote. Have a few kills this year but nothing special.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the TW200 primarily for predator calling and I am still getting it set up for that purpose. I custom made the tail rack so I could carry a long gun, folding chair, and storage box. The storage box is used to carry an electronic call, decoy, shooting sticks, and other accessories. I have a low profie folding chair mounted on the tail rack opposite of the rifle. I will be installing a 12 volt power supply inside the box to charge my electronics, and putting a GPS unit and windshield on my TW200 soon.

AZ has a diversity of predators and possibly more different species than any other state. Coyotes are the most abundant. About 30,000 to 40,000 coyotes are taken annually in AZ by sport hunting. This does not include coyotes taken by trapping and depredation (aerial gunning). http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/game_coyote.shtml

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
call me odd... i like seeing them alive and keeping them that way. one of the most magical sounds i've ever heard was a choir of coyotes singing in death valley. nice set up for your t-dub though.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I got the TW200 primarily for predator calling and I am still getting it set up for that purpose. I custom made the tail rack so I could carry a long gun, folding chair, and storage box. The storage box is used to carry an electronic call, decoy, shooting sticks, and other accessories. I have a low profie folding chair mounted on the tail rack opposite of the rifle. I will be installing a 12 volt power supply inside the box to charge my electronics, and putting a GPS unit and windshield on my TW200 soon.

AZ has a diversity of predators and possibly more different species than any other state. Coyotes are the most abundant. About 30,000 to 40,000 coyotes are taken annually in AZ by sport hunting which does not include those taken by trapping and depredation (aerial gunning).http://www.azgfd.gov...me_coyote.shtml

I was thinking that gully in the background of your avatar was a little bigger than the washes we have around town here!

Sounds like you might not be as much of an off-road novice as you've been saying.

Thanks for the ride report, and happy hunting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts