TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's another hot one here in Southern Arizona today, 106 for the high, so I thought I'd hit the highway for Sonoita and AZ wine country to cool off a little. The higher elevation down there combined with traveling at highway speed really did the trick. I just did a simple there-and-back kind of route between Tucson and Sonoita.

I also wanted to take this highway ride to really get a feel for my new Jimbo shield. Whereas I'd been pretty uncomfortable and heavily buffeted at anything over 50mph before, with the shield I was comfortable cruising between 60 and 65mph. I was having so much fun just cruising the country highway that I passed by a lot of great scenery without stopping for pics, but when I reached Las Cienegas National Conservation Area I had to pull in for a photo-op!

And for those who would doubt me, proof that there is such a place as AZ Wine Country!

On a clean, straight highway like that one, I'd reckon that a TW equipped with a Jimbo Shield and a tucked-in rider could get up over the 75mph mark! Pure speculation, of course!

People like to take pictures of themselves in front of the Sonoita Inn because it's more scenic than the Shell station and liquor store.

Being on a Dual-Sport bike and all, I just had to take a little detour off of AZ 83 to ride the FS roads back to Kentucky Camp. The last 1/4 mile was closed to motor vehicles, but I still enjoyed some pretty nice scenery.

It was about 120 miles all in, a nice way to spend my morning. I also noticed a ton of OHV access points to the National Forest down that way, so once I've gotten around to purchasing my OHV decal I'll definitely be revisiting the area.

It's nice to know that my little T-dub can keep up with (or even pass!) traffic on these country highways. Today's ride let me know that the bike and I are up for some more adventurous routes in the future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
wow, looks like a great ride. I will have to look for fun rides up north of you in Prescott. I am still getting my gear so have only taken short rides. Once I get my pants I will be good to go. I am looking forward to enjoying my TW and the sights. Only 97 here today. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Awesome! Glad to see that you're enjoying the TW, and that you don't melt away like an ice cube. Beautiful country, I hope to pass through Tuscon some day in the next few years. Thanks for sharing your ride!

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
i've been birding in that area before and agree it would be great for a TW, though not in summer! yikes! thanks for the report.

btw: they say all 50 states have some form of wineries.... not that all would be of quality. as i haven't tasted any from arizona yet, i'll withhold judgement.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It was about 120 miles all in, a nice way to spend my morning. I also noticed a ton of OHV access points to the National Forest down that way, so once I've gotten around to purchasing my OHV decal I'll definitely be revisiting the area.
I don't think you need an Arizona OHV decal on your street licensed TW200 to access federal lands. The OHV decal is for vehicles like quads and dirt bikes that are not street licensed. The OHV decal is put on recreational vehicle plates, not motorcycle plates. A current motor vehicle registration tab on a motorcycle plate should be all you need.

To access AZ State Land you may need a state land recreation permit. If you have an AZ hunting license, it doubles as your access permit. You do not need a gun to be hunting. Picking up lizards with your bare hands requires a hunting license in AZ.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Sounds like you're excited about riding your TW. Anyone who rides in that heat has to love riding. I do it too! Giggle!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think you need an Arizona OHV decal on your street licensed TW200 to access federal lands. The OHV decal is for vehicles like quads and dirt bikes that are not street licensed. The OHV decal is put on recreational vehicle plates, not motorcycle plates. A current motor vehicle registration tab on a motorcycle plate should be all you need.

To access AZ State Land you may need a state land recreation permit. If you have an AZ hunting license, it doubles as your access permit. You do not need a gun to be hunting. Picking up lizards with your bare hands requires a hunting license in AZ.

Hope this helps.

For forest service roads, you need the same licensing, plates, and insurance that you need for any other public road.

To use designated OHV trails, you need an OHV sticker whether your vehicle is street legal or not. Street legal bikes and quads still require the OHV sticker.

My link

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the link about the OHV decal and clarifying the requirments. You are right. I just got a TW200 and only have the temporary registration from the dealer. I will make sure I receive everything needed from MVD.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the link about the OHV decal and clarifying the requirments. You are right. I just got a TW200 and only have the temporary registration from the dealer. I will make sure I receive everything needed from MVD.

What part of AZ are you riding in? I haven't run across anyone around Tucson on here yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts