TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems the forum got reborn. That time of year, with a ride coming up and got the bug to rekindle the TW. I was out for a year or so due to a bad accident, but now I'm ready to ride again.

Anyways:

Name's Steve

50 in May

Live in San Jose, CA

Have a 2001 TW with about 500 miles on it

Have a ride (and general beer drinkin', meat eatin', gun shootin', story tellin' gig) scheduled with a bunch of friends next month up near Indian Valley Reservoir (boondocks East of Clear Lake).

Anyways, been perusing the new site, getting some ideas. Had just got the TW when I got hurt so never did anything but add some Cycleracks to it.

Anyone developed some good rifle/shotgun carry methods? I can kinda mount a cased longarm through a "hoop" in the cycle rack and secure the tip near the passenger footpeg. Looking for something better though. Had a steering head mounted one on a Trail 90 which paralled the forks. That was pretty handy. Ideally, I think I'd like something pretty rugged like the plastic scabbards on ATV's. Something that's gonna offer some protection if I dump it.

I'm pretty good with tools, but know little/nothing about bikes or ridden them much. Machinist for 20 years with mill and lathe at my disposal still. The dual sprocket idea look kewl. I may just go with a bigger rear though as I don't expect to run much blacktop. Maybe I can help someone with some machining for a similar project though. 45 mph still seems pretty fast to me and blacktop is just a way to get to a trail, or between trails in general. Mostly forest roads (some no longer valid for Jeeps), a bit of single track, etc. planned.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts

I have a front rack that I modified to carry saddle bags with fuel cans in them.

You could easily modify one of these to carry a plastic rifle scabbard.

Phelonius

BTW glad to hear you are back.

I had one of those dead things in 09, woke up three and a half days later in an ICU with tubes running in and out of every orfice and even some orfices I wasn't supposed to have. Couldn't move anything but my left thumb.

All just because a deer ran into my bike.

I just hate waking up like that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha...see you have a cane on yours. Fortunately I was able to put mine back in the closet (along with the walker and crutches).

Short version: Breaking up a dog fight. When my buddy came to lend a hand, he forgot his shotgun was in his other hand. Full charge of 20g mag in both legs. Life Flighted out. 20 days in the hospital and 7 months on disability. Issues are now minor.

Where were the pics taken?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Ha...see you have a cane on yours. Fortunately I was able to put mine back in the closet (along with the walker and crutches).

Short version: Breaking up a dog fight. When my buddy came to lend a hand, he forgot his shotgun was in his other hand. Full charge of 20g mag in both legs. Life Flighted out. 20 days in the hospital and 7 months on disability. Issues are now minor.

Carrying the gun might not be too bad if you are only going to ride on groomed trails. Here in AZ we don't have too many of those as the flash floods pretty much destroy them. In my old age, I have to keep a bottle of aspirin close by for my chronic headaches and arthritus. I opened my bottle of aspirin while on a ride last week and it was all powder from the joshling about on the rough trails. Just make sure the scaboard protects it well and isolates it from the extreme vibrations.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts

Northern tip of the big island where I now live in retirement but still ride.

The pic below is what I use for a p/u truck.

Shotgun to the legs, that will leave a mark! Just curious, did the blast stop the dog fight?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Gelcap meds survive on the trail. Tablets can be wrapped in paper towel. Carry only enough for the trip, as wrapping only slows degradation, but does not stop it.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Gelcap meds survive on the trail. Tablets can be wrapped in paper towel. Carry only enough for the trip, as wrapping only slows degradation, but does not stop it.

I carry a Encore 270 in my hydration back pack and no one can tell.

Ronnydog

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ha....if you'd had that when the deer ran into your path, there mighta been a different outcome. Deer get scarce with Ma Deuce around.

A bit different than I was intending with asking about gunracks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
glad to see your back!!!!

i havent got into a accident yet and im counting my blessings... last thing i want to do is crash

1 - 12 of 12 Posts