TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

There isn't much in this forum about sissy bars for TW's sorry to say, but I wish there was, I love ape hangers and sissy bars!! :p

Has anybody ever experimented with a sissy bar/back rest for long trips? I've done quite a bit of searching and can't seem to find much of anything.
Cheers!:cool:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The closest I have ever came was packing heavily for a camping trip. The logical place for the sleeping pad (rolled) was tied immediately in front of the large mass on the rack and hence it became a backrest. There was not room for a pax. It was nice to have the pressure on my back when I needed it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm I really like the idea. I'm planning a trip from washington to mexico this fall and I'd like to be as cozy as possible (while looking like a hilarious micro easy rider).
A guy on craigslist had one for his tdub but he wasnt willing to part with it. The quest continues!
Any diy'ers out there have advice for what i might use as a metal to rig up my own? Would conduit be too cheap? That guy (yankeeprepper?) who made a cycleracks style rear rack out of conduit made his look pretty damn sturdy.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Hard to find more fun than the "mighty TW". I'm no help on your project, but wish you the best. To each their own, as I don't like ape hangers or sissy bars. However, a back rest is nice on long trips, and you're talking about a long trip. Best of luck.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
928 Posts
Back Rest Idea.jpeg

I'd saved this picture for future reference. :D Conduit should work just fine for your application. You're not applying a great deal of force on it - just enough to support your back. The guy who built this appears to have welded the clamp onto the end of the tubing, but I bet you could flatten the end and attach a hose clamp to help hold it in place. Extend a secondary brace backwards to make 4 points of contact and it shouldn't go anywhere (see sketch below).

backrest illustration.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Personally, I worry about a sissy bar or stuff piled too high on the back for offroad. There are times when the bike is going down and the safest thing to do is to step off and let it go down without you.

I just worry about being trapped by anything too tall on the back. Seems like the stage could be set to really wrench one's back going down and unable to step off.

But That's Just Me!™ It does not seem to bother others as much.

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
I rode one of Plumbstaight’s TWs equipped with a solo seat and and a backrest. It was a homemade conversion. It worked well.
Very comfortable for lazy cruising. On bumpy trails however the backrest would mildly attack me as the bike rotated under me in respond to trail irregularities. The fixed seating position does not allow much weight shifting front or rear for cornering or loose hill climbs either. No problem if you are the sort of rider who stays planted in the same position. Thus a good cruiser conversion but very
slightly limits the off road versatility.
As far as building one with EMT conduit I would think some sort of triangulation with a compression strut would be required to minimize the chance of the thin wall tubing buckling. Much better to simply start with material with a greater wall thickness and avoid the zinc fumes associated with welding galvanized steel.

EDIT: Fast Eddies observation is a good one, hard to get a clean ejection sequence off the rear in an emergency with any sissy bar or big pile of gear on the rack. images-2.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I definitely agree when it comes to bailing. I'm really focusing on a long cruisy 80+% on paved backroads though. I'd lighten the load and get rid of the big ol mouse trap if I planned on more trail riding for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And thanks for all the input! part of me is just excited to have goofy unique look to it. I'll report on its practicality if/when I get it plunked together!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts