TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo TW-community. I am living in Africa and need new tires soon. Two options seem to be available: Bridgestone Trailwing 203/204 or Dunlop K 180. Any experiences about traction and how many kilometers/miles they run on tarmac? Are there big differences? Safe journeys always!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I don't know much about the Dunlops but I've been running the 203/204 combo for some time now. First for pavement use they give a smoother ride and more traction than the stock tires. For hard pack dirt roads they do ok but they are not well suited for sand or lots of mud. Also wet grass feels like riding on a slip and slide.

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
The 203/204 combination is good for the road, and can cope with “gentle” trails – but take it easy on loose surfaces

The Dunlop K180 (the same tire that is stock on the rear of the vanvan) is about the same – 80% road based

The problem of your choices starts with the tread pattern – you would be well advised (in my experience) to match the tread pattern of both front and rear

The issue is that the 203/204 are matching road tires – the odd one out here in the K180, which is semi-knobbly, and shares a tread pattern with the stock front TW31 (which is death on a stick)

I’d go for the TW203/204 combo myself – just take it easy in the sand …… ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hallo TW-community. I am living in Africa and need new tires soon. Two options seem to be available: Bridgestone Trailwing 203/204 or Dunlop K 180. Any experiences about traction and how many kilometers/miles they run on tarmac? Are there big differences? Safe journeys always!
Adventurous continent you picked.

May I ask where you ride?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure, I use the bike mainly in Kampala, the capital, and Jinja, a town 50 miles east, where I live. Because of the traffic jam only a bike makes sense if you regularly cover long distances. WIth a car the average speed would be 10miles/h! Sometimes I also use the bike for the "back yard", with murram roads, paths, etc. Very ideal to have a TW here... It is small, light weight, strong enough and has a low seat, as you know.

·
Registered
548 Posts
View attachment 160729 DSCF4047.JPG DSCF4046.JPG IMG1180.jpg
I love the Maxxis Ceros, best thing I have done to the bike so far. So far this tire has taken everything I have ran it over, just one small problem with snow (but we don't talk about that anymore). Not sure how your riding is over there, but here on the coast of Canada we have lots of gravel, rocks, mud, water, slime and moss on the trails. The Maxxis compound of rubber must be 50% glue as it sticks to everything (except snow) and the only negative to the larger than stock diameter is that you will require a gearing change to swing this tire. The tread throws out the mud unlike the stock that packed up and it was like running on an inner tube, this ability to clear the tread makes it very aggressive on the trail (not so much on snow) and has allowed us to ride to places the stock tire would never have gone. This tire was truly a pain to mount and adapt to the TW but if you want to have a fun time on the trails this tire will do that and more (no snow!) Denice says it has made trail riding more enjoyable for her as the bike stays straight and upright more (just not on snow) and she is more relaxed as a passenger knowing we have the grip to get where we want to go......long as its not deep snow!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Adaptations

View attachment 160729 View attachment 160737 View attachment 160745 View attachment 160753
...This tire was truly a pain to mount and adapt to the TW but if you want to have a fun time on the trails this tire will do that and more (no snow!) ...

THanks for the infos, very helpful. Now, if I manage to import a tire from US (I doubt whether I get this type in EU) what changes are necessary? For me here, in the middle of nowhere it might be dificult to make changes e.g. on the swing arms, etc. ...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hello Hans. I ran a stock tire for years and it limited me to where we could go. My wife always doubles on our bike so with both of us and all her fishing gear strapped on the back we always ride "slightly" over the TWs' recommended capacity. I chose this tire after reading and inquiring what would work best for our needs and for us this was the best tire. HOWEVER.... getting onto the bike was a chore I never want to endure again.....ever! There is a write up somewhere in here as to the steps it took to successfully mount this beast of a tire. One downfall of this tire is if I ever got a flat on the trail we would be walking home and the bike would be up for sale "as is where is", pay me some money and here is a map of where you will find your new bike! It does fit the rim, but it is so tight on there it becomes one. I was going to extend my swing arm before I got this tire due to the "rear" weight I packed which caused the front wheel to leave the ground on many an up-hill climb. Purchasing this tire made that a necessity due to tire rub/clearance issues. I added just over 2" to the swing arm, did a gear change and new chain, extended the brake rod, and bought us both body armour now that we could ride to heights we could never climb before. This tire totally changed our ride and comfort on the bike and we still can cruise at 110 Km on the highway. It did require a new front tire as well so we could turn but all and all it was well worth the effort for our terrain.

There are many write-ups on here for tires and sources for them. Every rider has a different style and surface they want to ride on, so it comes down to a personal choice and ones comfort level. For me it was both a safety concern and desire to climb to higher heights and this tire has definitely allowed that. If you are a "Sunday" driver and not looking for the rush of breaking thru the clouds on top of a mountain, you have lots of tire choices that aren't so drastic. The Duro tire is similar to the Maxxis but it can be installed with minimal changes to the stock bike. Then there are the trials type tires that have excellent grip but still good on the highway. I will try to find some links to write-ups that may help you in your choice. My advise to you would be to read all you can and research each tire before making a decision as this choice will make or break your riding experience as it takes along time to wear out a tire you hate to ride on. This forum is a great place to gain knowledge before you buy and you can learn from our "mistakes" and "why'd I buy that" experiences. I found my tires thru a parts store called "Canadian Motorcycle" and they were great to deal with and helped me make my final decision, then they shipped them so fast I didn't have time to change my mind.
There are lots of guys on here that run different tires and most have success, so read their threads and ask lots of questions as we are all here to help fellow riders. Good luck on your quest and let us know what you decide on in the end. Happy and safe riding to you, Chris.

Front tire choices : http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/3635-front-tire-choices.html
Rear tire choices: To follow....cant find the link yet!

ATV tires: http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/2734-handy-dandy-atv-tire-fitment-chart.html?highlight=rear+tire+choices

For Peterb : This is the tire I run : https://fortnine.ca/en/maxxis-mu07-ceros-front-tire (26x9x14 and ran my stock tube)
Here is a link to installing the mother of all tires : http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/18262-done-last-now.html

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I just mounted my rear Shinko street tire today. What a pain in the butt. I need to get my bike inspected and new tags. I guess it is far enough between tire changes that I forget how hard it is. I think car tires are easier to mount. I had slime in my old tube, no leak, no mess. I don't know how anyone would ever repair trail side. I think I would bring a can of expanding foam and just squirt it in the tube, ha ha.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts