TW200 Forum banner

BEST MOAB DATES FOR THE GATHERING

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 593 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on the discussion in another thread lets use this thread for planning related to a Spring get together in the Moab area for an adventure.

I am in for the end of March and first part of April. The weather is usually stable and not to hot that time of the year.

There are several good resources for information about this area and Off road adventures.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts
I'm going to keep an eye on this one. :) Will have to wait on a confirmed date as I'm going to Malawi Africa next spring to help out a friend who runs https://www.facebook.com/E3Worldwide.....

·
Registered
466 Posts
Just a thought.....the huge Jeep Rally in Moab is on Easter weekend (April 5th in 2015) the entire week leading up to Easter weekend is a bit of a mad house in Moab.
I was in Moab the Monday-Thurs leading up to Easter this year and it became more and more busy as the week progressed. Hotels, campgrounds, restaurants etc are all at a premium the week of the Jeep Rally.
Scheduling around this event is probably best in my opinion.....well, unless you are a Jeeper and bringing your rig.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Larry and I were in the Moab area during the Jeep week last year. Larry is also a Jeeper so he really enjoyed meeting some of those folks. We camped north of town about 10 miles in our self contained rigs. We were able to get schedules for the Jeep events and could plan our rides to avoid being caught up in their events. We did run across a couple of their adventures:
Southern Utah Spring 2013 Adventure Ride Moab
Had no trouble with them at all. Some of their antics were very amusing. Especially when they were upside down. I saw some of the really modified Jeeps and Crawlers climb over stuff that if I had seen it on TV I would have thought it was photo-shopped.

I would really like to see our event set up south of Moab next spring as I did not ride any of that country last year. Some of the guys on Adventure Riders have posted some really neat ride reports about that area. Our TW rider "Smalls" also rode some of that country last spring and his ride report is a very good glimpse of what is down there. His ride reports are epic in that I think he must have a cast iron ass to cover that much country in a single days ride.

I would propose that we should hook up the week before their event but if it turns out that several people would prefer the Easter week for vacation purposes, we can schedule our adventure for when ever we want.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
This probably sounds insane but.......... Does anybody have ANY idea how much it would cost me to ship my bike down there and back from NY? Yes I am seriously entertaining this idea.

Tom

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Tom, how would you get from Dryden N.Y. to Moab and back? Fly to nearest airport then rent truck? Maybe a simpler option might be to rent a moto in Moab. Maybe someone here planning on attending could transport and/ or rent you a bike. Would be fantastic to get a gathering of the tribe and you would be a valuable addition. To paraphrase a recent quote " This ain't no practice life", meaning do not miss opportunities for once in lifetime experiences.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Tom, how would you get from Dryden N.Y. to Moab and back? Fly to nearest airport then rent truck? Maybe a simpler option might be to rent a moto in Moab. Maybe someone here planning on attending could transport and/ or rent you a bike. Would be fantastic to get a gathering of the tribe and you would be a valuable addition. To paraphrase a recent quote " This ain't no practice life", meaning do not miss opportunities for once in lifetime experiences.

By TW of course:D Now this is where things get a bit dicey but stay with me. I could have the TW trucked out to a location relatively close to the nearest airport. Arrive by plane, taxi to my baby, and ride off toward Moab! This is all very rough around the edges but I have plenty of time to smooth them out. I will be flexible along the way if other opportunities present themselves.

Tom

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I wanted to join in but I will be taking a small group diving in the Bahamas. maybe next time.

PHX NAS Phoenix, AZ to Nassau, Bahamas
Thursday, April 09, 2015

NAS PHX Nassau, Bahamas to Phoenix, AZ
Friday, April 17, 2015

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
So Tom; did you mean "arrive by plane" - and then "take a taxi" -OR- "arrive by plane" and "make 'IT' taxi to my baby" instead of the terminal ramp!
Now THAT might depend on how good airport security does their job!:rolleyes: No, I meant Take a taxi to wherever my bike is "received" from transport.

Tom

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Qwerty might know the ins and outs of affordable shipping options, whether to palletize or search internet for some sweetheart private deal each way.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Qwerty might know the ins and outs of affordable shipping options, whether to palletize or search internet for some sweetheart private deal each way.
Qwerty, you reading this? I am all ears if you have any suggestions. Please and Thank you:)

Tom

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Fred,

After much thought and careful consideration I have decided that you need a second TW. It only makes sense if you think about. Your pictures, videos, and carefully planned "easy" rides have persuaded quite a few fellow members to embark on road trips to your area. Now, gas is expensive and time off from work and family are very valuable. I just know you would feel terrible if a fellow member got ALL THE WAY out there and had motorcycle problems that couldn't be resolved in time to salvage the trip. I do not want you to live with that kind of guilt! However, if you had a second TW all tuned up and full of fresh ethanol free gas that would avert certain tragedy. This would allow you to sleep soundly and a wise man once said a good nights sleep is "priceless". Now since we have decided that you will soon have two bikes I would be willing to rent one of them from you? Let me know how much. Thank's.

Tom

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Tom, only my wife could argue with your logic, I am more easily sold.;)
Perhaps TW-Brian could rent you one, he has a whole herd of TWs.
Maybe I could charge Brian to store a few here, his wife might aprciate getting half the garage back.

1 - 20 of 593 Posts