TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took the new (well, new to me) tw for a run today, up a few pretty steep hills, through the forest then back down. On downhill 2nd gear seemed to hold it best without riding the brakes too much, but at higher RPM I was getting what I guess I'd describe as mild backfiring... but not really a loud pop just mild pop-pop-pop. With a little throttle it goes away.

Anything I should check or is this pretty normal? '05 just over 2k miles. Valve adjustment maybe? Only had the bike since last week and LOVING it so far. We have a cycle shop in town was thinking about bringing it in for a full checkup, but I dunno, I'm pretty mechanically savvy and wouldn't mind saving a few bucks for my rear racks and other wish list mods.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Valve adjusting and an oil change won't hurt..! So you can keep track on maintenance schedule of the bike without asking the PO when he did the last oil change or valve adjustment..!

lil backfire on a low gear on downhill sounds like mine..! Mine does that too..! I can only hear hear it if i concentrate very carefully..! even then i'm not sure it's really backfiring..!
I've ridden it nearly 4000 km after i got it and so far no issues..!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
A bit of quiet popping on decel is probably nothing to fret over. Does it respond to the throttle well and run good overall? Valve adjustment wouldn't hurt especially if you don't know the last time it was done. Same for the oil change and servicing air filter, chain, etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Overall it runs really well. Starts right up every time, idles fine, plenty of power & throttle response. Gonna go ahead and change the oil & check the valve adj, check exhaust, etc. Don't really want to dive into the carb yet as it runs fine overall, but this will be a good opportunity for me to get familiar with the bike mechanically anyway I guess. Appreciate the input!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a new bike and it back fired when decelling down steep hills. After about 9 months it graguly got worse. Old school, it would be the timing but that was 40 years ago. Nothing to adjust today, except the spark plug. I pulled it and closed the gap one size smaller. That made it worse. Then adjusted it one size larger. That made it better. Adjusted it one more size larger and no more backfire. Also noticed more power going up the hill.

Took the new (well, new to me) tw for a run today, up a few pretty steep hills, through the forest then back down. On downhill 2nd gear seemed to hold it best without riding the brakes too much, but at higher RPM I was getting what I guess I'd describe as mild backfiring... but not really a loud pop just mild pop-pop-pop. With a little throttle it goes away.

Anything I should check or is this pretty normal? '05 just over 2k miles. Valve adjustment maybe? Only had the bike since last week and LOVING it so far. We have a cycle shop in town was thinking about bringing it in for a full checkup, but I dunno, I'm pretty mechanically savvy and wouldn't mind saving a few bucks for my rear racks and other wish list mods.

·
Registered
19,760 Posts
Stock California model TWs come set up lean and one can expect them to backfire as reported near sea level (Kernville).
Simply adjusting the mixture screw to about 2 to 2.5 revolutions from fully seated cured the backfiring by enriching the fuel mix slightly (they usually are found to be from factory set at 1.5 to 1.75 revolutions out). No need to tear into carb to change jetting for most TWs. Many here consider this one of the basic first steps when getting a TW right up there with setting the correct amount of oil in the forks.
This minor change should still permit the TW to operate well at higher elevations without being overly rich yet lessen the annoying but harmless backfiring on downhill decelerations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts