TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a camping geek. Mon-Fri 8-5 I work as a programmer but on the weekends I'm usually camping and far away from technology. I'm looking for a good backpack that that I can use for both. Ideally I would want something that is highly visible especially at night and that can hold my gadgets, gear and helmet. Right now I'm thinking about the Icon Squad 2 Mil Spec Backpack http://www.revzilla.com/product/icon-squad-2-mil-spec-backpack. Has anyone used this backpack and have any advice?

Currently I have 6 normal backpacking bags (kinda have addiction to gear) but I would like something more suitable for riding. Normal trips are about 6 miles in town or 30 off road. Night trips would be almost daily. Everyday gear would be laptop, tablet, jacket, small sleeping bag, hammock and misc gear. I have been using a 40L osprey for 2 years and its worked great but does not hold a helmet and sucks for visibility at night.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have not used this backback, but I would say you got it covered. This sucks does appears to do everything you need. In fact, it looks so cool I am now considering getting one...

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Backpacks and riding offroad generally don't mix. You'll want your gadgets in something hard with padding when you take a spill such as Pelican cases. Anything much bigger than a day pack is likely to hang up on low branches, which is a ticket to injury. A hard frame extending over your shoulders is the worst. Just my observations of the experiences of others who broke their toys and their bodies. I've found the only way to to keep a backpack from interfering with the ride when the rider goes gymnastic is to cinch the straps uncomfortably tight. This I know from experience.

If you have or find a pack you really like but it's not high vis, you can make iy high vis. You can buy 3M Scotchlite reflective material and sew it on anything. 3M also has a new material that heat transfers, if you know anyone with a transfer press.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
I know lots of folks on all sorts of motorcycles wear and use backpacks, but as mentioned above they can be tricky, especially if worn in the woods. On a street bike I used a backpack (for a short while), and my experience was load shifting in the backpack which I didn't care for and quit using one and strapped stuff on the seat/rack.

For me, I don't think I would like the backpack you are considering wrapped around my shoulders like this one. Again for the reasons mentioned above. Also, in hot weather I don't like so much wrapped around me. Too much constriction makes me sweat too much. But I haven't seen this product in person.

On my TW, until recently the only thing I wore on my back was a camelbak. I could easily sip water while on the go, on an appropriate road surface where I could remove my left hand off the handle bar. I was careful when traveling, but most often I took a sip while stopped.

I don't think this item is for you, but right now I'm trying out a bird hunters suspender vest system. In the back where the birds would go, I attached my camelbak. I have room to place some other items in it, but again, gotta be careful of things shifting in the back which can be uncomfortable or dangerous due to shifting. It also has some zippered pouches for small items, which when riding hang about lower belt level. I've only put gloves and my cell phone in them so far. The front just has suspenders about 2 inches wide. I've only rode one time with it on so far with no issues, but it was not in the woods but on treeless BLM land.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Mor,

Greeting from a fellow gear junkie. I also suffer from this affliction and have an advanced case where I really only like very functional quality gear.

At your leasure, please Look Here and see what you think.

I have the Lightning and the Storm and my Wife has the Lightning strike. (Sounds like the Storm would be the size you would want) These are phenominal packs, you can not find one better made or thought out. TAGear is also a superlitive company to do business with, they have perfected customer service.

Some very good points have been made about wearing packs while riding (especially off road) I assure you that these packs have been engineered specifically for riding. They don't hit the seat, or your helmet, they don't stick out and you cant hurt one. I have thousands and thousands of miles wearing these packs, and the Storm glove also awsome, and I have always been comfortable and not experianced interferance from the packs.

Anyway, you asked, here's my answer, have fun!

Bag

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I have a mesh hunting vest with lots of pockets! Great idea, admiral!

Well, whaddayano? Bagger to the rescue with packs designed for dualsporting! Another WIN!

I'd still caution against loading anything sharp or solid in a pack or pocket. You can easily land on anything you carry on your body, and it doesn't take much of a lump to bruise, cut, or break something. I know one guy who broke a couple ribs when he landed on his phone.

This would be a cheap option for a few pockets and visibility.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I, too, don't like riding offroad with a backpack. As far as load shifting, I've learned a trick or two about that: I carry thick plastic shopping bags with me all the time to put everything I own in so it doesn't get trashed in the inevitable rain. If I'm wearing a backpack, I'll move them around to keep the load where I want it in the backpack. So far so good, but again, no real offroad miles with this concept.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wear a backpack most of the time while riding. It is a great way to carry what I need and a lot of my 'off-road' rides also include a little hike. I use a couple of Granite Gear packs and they are great. Very adjustable, stay in place, comfortable and hold a lot. I use the Jalapeno-bigger and the Chilaca-daily.

Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly magazine did great review,here, of some Granite Gear stuff.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I have a Gregory G-Pack that I wear backpacking and it works pretty good on the bike, I just keep it light.

I use a Blaze Orange Pack cover to keep everything dry and this is very visible.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/JGHPC.htm

This thing has a bunch of uses. I think it is worth the money. I got it from Jacks R Better. I also use one of their quilts in my Hennessy Hammock. My whole back pack setup, Hammock, MacCat Tarp, Quilt, Camp stove and pot etc weighs about 12 lbs. Just add food and water and I'm ready to go. Most stuff for Ultra Light backpacking works nicely on the bike.

I am in no way associated with any of these companies, just like the stuff, even though it can be pricey.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/

http://hennessyhammock.com/

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/vargo_triad_titanium_stove.html

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
n2o2, how deep have you been?

You make a good point about the ultra-light backpacking stuff being good for motocamping. The problem I have with the good stuff is it costs way too much for my occasional use schedule.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
n2o2, how deep have you been?

You make a good point about the ultra-light backpacking stuff being good for motocamping. The problem I have with the good stuff is it costs way too much for my occasional use schedule.

qwerty, backpacking I have gone as long as ten days about 140 mi on the Alabama Pinhoti Trail. I also use the same gear when I do over night canoe trips. It gets used a lot and now that I've got this bike it will be even more.

So far on the Bike I have just done two separate over nights, still testing the waters with the bike. I've only put 500 miles on it so far.

Your are right about the price of good light gear but I am finding I take better care of it, in return it last longer lol. I always shop around and wait for a deal. Like my hammock was a miss match, top was a different color than the bottom, close out sale on the quilt etc. I buy plenty of cheap stuff too though especially if it is something I'll only use occasionally. I don't mind paying more for quality multi-use gear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have one. A dirt helmet with visor will not fit in it. A regular helmet will take up most of the space (it does open in the bottom to make more room for a street helmet). There is some room, but not much. It is good around town and back and forth between the office. IT has a computer sleeve should you need one. Good bag and I’m glad to have one. Please note that for packs, the bag is on the heavy side.

For camping, I would look at wearing your helmet and packing your gear in a quality pack (lots of options there), but try to keep it light. Put heavier gear on the bike. Cover the pack with a reflective vest or pack cover and wear reflective clothing for the front and sleeves.

·
Registered
112 Posts
qwerty, backpacking I have gone as long as ten days about 140 mi on the Alabama Pinhoti Trail. I also use the same gear when I do over night canoe trips. It gets used a lot and now that I've got this bike it will be even more.

So far on the Bike I have just done two separate over nights, still testing the waters with the bike. I've only put 500 miles on it so far.

Your are right about the price of good light gear but I am finding I take better care of it, in return it last longer lol. I always shop around and wait for a deal. Like my hammock was a miss match, top was a different color than the bottom, close out sale on the quilt etc. I buy plenty of cheap stuff too though especially if it is something I'll only use occasionally. I don't mind paying more for quality multi-use gear.

i think he meant diving.
that must have been an awesome back packing trip though

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm a camping geek. Mon-Fri 8-5 I work as a programmer but on the weekends I'm usually camping and far away from technology. I'm looking for a good backpack that that I can use for both. Ideally I would want something that is highly visible especially at night and that can hold my gadgets, gear and helmet. Right now I'm thinking about the Icon Squad 2 Mil Spec Backpack http://www.revzilla.com/product/icon-squad-2-mil-spec-backpack. Has anyone used this backpack and have any advice?

Currently I have 6 normal backpacking bags (kinda have addiction to gear) but I would like something more suitable for riding. Normal trips are about 6 miles in town or 30 off road. Night trips would be almost daily. Everyday gear would be laptop, tablet, jacket, small sleeping bag, hammock and misc gear. I have been using a 40L osprey for 2 years and its worked great but does not hold a helmet and sucks for visibility at night.
Laptop? Tablet? I thought you said your camping to get away from technology? I would just get a military alice pack( All-Purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment)get a camel pack and reflective tape.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Laptop? Tablet? I thought you said your camping to get away from technology? I would just get a military alice pack( All-Purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment)get a camel pack and reflective tape.

On weekdays I need to carry all my tech gear and on the weekends I need my camping gear. One back that works for both would be handy.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I only use a small backpack with a rehydration bladder, and a Cyclerack mounted with Chase Harper paniers and a hard Givi 36 liter monkey on the rack.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
i think he meant diving.
that must have been an awesome back packing trip though

Doh! I'm not to smart am I!

In that case 130 feet max depth that I have been on a wreck dive.

Can not really dive deeper on mixed gas because the oxygen becomes toxic. You can however extend your bottom time at shallower depths, it is a give and take.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts