TW200 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm still fighting a surge/misfire under full throttle on my 1987 TW200. I've done some carb work and replaced the CDI and it runs better, but still has the full throttle issue. So I started testing EVERYTHING, and found infinite resistance on the secondary ignition coil.

I ordered a new coil, but now I'm doubting myself. How would this thing even run if the secondary coil had infinite resistance? It ran pretty well at idle and low throttle. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For anyone searching this - I figured out the issue. In one place in the manual it lists the secondary coil resistance in ohms, and in another place it lists it in kiloohms. I had the meter on the wrong setting, and my original ignition coil was likely fine. Oh well - now I have a new one and an old spare.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
FYI - the resistance of a coil may be normal at ambient temp, but a coil usually fails when it is hot, and then the numbers drastically change. A normal reading at room temp does not necessarily give the health of the coil.
Just for laughs, since you already got the new coil, replace it and see what happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts