·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah riding in formation may look cool but isn't the smartest thing to do.
Dang rights!

Haw, noticed you have a NC700x... Son has one even 2014! Great cycle. Fixed up for dual sport... We towed it up to AK in 2014 and he flew up, met us and he did over 2,000 more miles than we did with our Truck n Camper....All nasty mud n dirt... All the way to Prudhoe Bay. He did the Conol Rd to Ross River, then the Robert Campbell Hwy to Watson lake... <>400 miles.

If interested here is a blog. Go to Archive and go to the beginning. You will love it:

https://northtoalaska2014.tumblr.com

Jim

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
It's terrible, just terrible.
The vulnerability of riding a motorcycle vs. something coming at you in your own lane, and it doesn't matter in formation or not.
I rode into work today (Manhattan/NYC) which I seldom do on a commuting day no less a Monday morning. This accident was surely on my mind.
So sad.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I didn't read where they were riding abreast. It's fairly hilly so if the truck had any speed, it could have run through a staggered formation just as easily. However, my spidey sense is tinglin like there is more to this story. Not sure what rumble strips would have done, they aren't down the center line.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sounds suspicious. I read the original article. I'm always keen on accidents and have lots of questions to determine if something could have been prevented.
In this case, all Harley's? I have ridden Harley's for years and with many groups. I choose not to ride in groups because of the guys who come along in those rides.
Never ride in a poker run, beer and riding does not mix. But many HD riders refuse to take a MSF or other safety course, they know it all and that makes them more
than dangerous. I'm on a BMW R1200 GS Adventure now and I ride alone. Even older BMW guys don't ride safe enough for me.

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
We’ve had two fatals so far this year (cars), where someone simply hasn’t taken the bend (for unknown reasons), resulting in a head on

There’s little you can do about it, other than to drive a tank

Single file – abreast – it all comes down to circumstances and timing (assuming the car and trailer was on the wrong side of the road)

However you look at, it’s an absolute tragedy for all involved …..

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds suspicious. I read the original article. I'm always keen on accidents and have lots of questions to determine if something could have been prevented.
In this case, all Harley's? I have ridden Harley's for years and with many groups. I choose not to ride in groups because of the guys who come along in those rides.
Never ride in a poker run, beer and riding does not mix. But many HD riders refuse to take a MSF or other safety course, they know it all and that makes them more
than dangerous. I'm on a BMW R1200 GS Adventure now and I ride alone. Even older BMW guys don't ride safe enough for me.
Haw agree about the MSF... Amazing to ask those riders that have not taken the course certain questions... Even the big one about counter steer. They will even argue with you.

I too am not a fan of road group riding. Dirt/trail is ok.

If you look at the layout of the cycles it is apparent that it was 2 abreast and traveling very close together. 6 cycles down in about 100ft. Oh well we will never learn the details of the accident.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
The trucker was obviously at fault....pick up with empty car hauler is a script for disaster, especially on winding, curvy, 2 lane roads....on the other hand, even in my street bike days, I hated group riding....anything more than 3 is to many, IMO, just to many distractions.....:( Of course trail riding is another thing all together ;)

Moab Mel's Ride.jpg

·
Registered
19,561 Posts
Don't worry, with the open borders policies being proposed by the opposition soon no one will be in the US illegally. To be politically correct maybe rather than saying "illegal" we should refer to Volodymyr and others simply as "awaiting amnesty" while also waiting for promised free health care , a free college education with a sex change operation, fertility treatment and then an abortion thrown in just for good measure.
My sympathy for the Marines, their families and their riding club. Another group of good people pay the price for some questionable policies.

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
Questionable policy? How about using the tragic death of seven motorcyclist as an opportunity to spout off one's political opinions?
And how about we all wind our paranoia back a bit here

Sure, Fred is being a bit “cheeky” slipping in a political comment – but calling him out on it just turns a cheeky comment into an argument – and that gets you (both) “me”

Feeling lucky ?

Either we live in peace, or we die by (your) first amendment – one of the rare times when you are at risk of being hoisted on your own petard

I tried leaving this in “General” – it now goes to “Off Topic” – my fault …..

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
As far as I’m concerned, politics inevitably creeps into much of what we think, say, or do. To try to keep that from a board with over a hundred posts a day is impossible. But, there’s a place for political opinion (no matter how gentle), and that’s in “Off Topic”, where the rules are “relaxed” a bit

Like I said, my fault for not moving the thread earlier, but it was a judgment call, as much of this stuff often is

“Above ground” is strictly TW business - in the basement, we make allowances for opinions

No criticism is aimed or intended at anyone on this thread – sometimes it’s simply easier to fire a shot in the air to remind everyone to keep the peace – and I’d rather that than see this thread closed down

This board is for all of us ….

1 - 20 of 26 Posts