TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I want to do a baja tour. I once rode my honda xl250 from San Filepe to Gonzaga Bay with a group on 400 Huskies back in the day. I want to start near Tecate and head south not sure yet of itinerary. Maybe Mikes sky ranch, over to the coast and down. Some cool areas past El Rosario. Maybe over to Bahia de Los Angeles and then up to San Filepe and then back to US near Tecate.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Not a TW, but it was rolling on knobby's front and rear. Tecate, Ca to La Paz. Took about a month at an average speed of likely 8 mph. All pavement except for a couple of side trips to see whales. Don't like to thump my chest but it is nice to think back on the 'big wins'.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
:victorious: You'll always be a winner in our eyes Gerry!!
:headbang: We admire you and love you brother!!

By the way...
Happy Birthday!! :hello:

Not a TW, but it was rolling on knobby's front and rear. Tecate, Ca to La Paz. Took about a month at an average speed of likely 8 mph. All pavement except for a couple of side trips to see whales. Don't like to thump my chest but it is nice to think back on the 'big wins'.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Nice ride Gerry. I love Baja. I once bought a Motobecan had it a month and rode the Tecate to Ensenda ride. That's only 60 miles nothing compared to your accomplishment. That's a big hill outside of Tecate. It was a crazy year over 10,000 riders it took me 20 minutes to reach the start line.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

Noting wrong with Nostalgia Lane!
Is that 80 miles down the coast or 68 miles inland (highway 3)?

Reactions: Ken and littletommy

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
South of San Flippy:

Puertecitos

Alfonsina's at Gonzaga Bay

sunrise at Gonzaga Bay

heading south towards Coco's corner...

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
They do Volkswagen beetle on the Baja 1000. Has anyone considered doing the Baja 1000 on a TDUB? I can't even stay awake 20-24 hrs.
I've always wanted to compete in the Baja in class 11.
airborne480.png

But I think the TW is too capable to be a comparable race. I think the motorcycle equivalent would have to be racing Honda Cubs or mopeds or something.
images (2).jpg 1977-newport001.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
I want to do a baja tour. I once rode my honda xl250 from San Filepe to Gonzaga Bay with a group on 400 Huskies back in the day. I want to start near Tecate and head south not sure yet of itinerary. Maybe Mikes sky ranch, over to the coast and down. Some cool areas past El Rosario. Maybe over to Bahia de Los Angeles and then up to San Filepe and then back to US near Tecate.
Here you go, Dave puts on some good rides. We have used his CD for the Olympic mountain rides we do.

GripTwister Dual Sport Adventure Motorcycle Tours

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
RT great writing on your trip. I love Alphonsinos. No two story back then. It was dirt from outside San Filepe down, one section of pavement on the top of the Tres Marias grade. I guess I've been there three times once on a bike. Did a Baja 500 prerun in a baja bug I made came up from the south and the wife and I drove a Luv truck down the east side on Easter break to LA Bay and back home to SD.

Thanks for the tour guy info. I am kinda a do it yourself tour person with friends.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Butch thanks for digging up that thread. My wife worked for Unique Metal products and they used to run a class 9 buggy. We would pit on some of the races like the Mint 400. They used to prerun the 500 on bikes, I chased them in my baja bug one year. It was pretty slow but I got no flats and I passed a lot trucks with flats. Looking back I am surprised I didn't have more trouble. I was driving to keep it together though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts