TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride my 2010 tw 75% of time on beaches in soft sand and have experienced chain stretch and breakage of stock chain /
Please advise what would be good choice for chain ,sprockets number of teeth and tires for these conditions.

saludos

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
Bienvenidos! Sand riding is so hard on any bike, not surprised at the accelerated wear you are seeing. I have no perfect answer but you might enjoy current thread "sand or no sand" which discusses sand riding techniques and equipment. You probably already know more than most of us. Baja beaches indeed! I am jealous already. Send us a picture sometime of your TW on a warm beach while we shiver here in the cold.

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
13/55 is my preferred way to roll. It does sacrifice top speed though as 18.46% gear ratio change means engine needs to turn another 18.46% faster to achieve any given speed. But so what if it takes 18.46 % longer to get from beach to cantina?:D Just drink 18.46% more beer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good stuff amigos /

is there a specific manufacterer for the chain that is stronger and last longer?

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
Most posts here recommend a quality o-ring chain. I do not know how well they hold up in sand but hopefully this will go to the top and others more knowledgable might post a helpful response. DID makes some pretty good quality chains.

·
Registered
330 Posts
@Fred, it ain't Baja, but we have year round summer down here in Durban South Africa too.
My beach rides are very short, but they are technically illegal bar a few spots.
IMG_4200.jpg

Hope it warms up for you guys soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info i ordered sunstar 14-50 stock teeth setup 15.99+29.99 and DID oring chain79.99 from motercycle superstore/

this is where the drama starts iv carried the parts on board to cabo and discovered the 120 link chain is SHORT i carried it back to san diego and mailing it back to Oregon and my lil tw is still sitting with no chain.After lots of research and no help from the tech guy that sold it to me the stock link count for 14-50 sprockets is 122 links which they tell me doesnt exist in oring DID chain/my options now appear to be buying a 130link and cut to fit??

any comments advice?iv already installed the sprokets and did tear the case gasket which i failed to order .Im staying with stock gearing because on occasion i do jump on pavement and dont want to get run over

1 - 11 of 11 Posts