TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone traveled in Baja with the TW? Mexico’ speed limits are lower than ours, is it doable?
Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have not road tripped Baja on my TW, but am bringing it down as a trail bike and to do short trips. The biggest concern of trying to ride tip to tip on a TW would be fuel. There is a approx 340km stretch from El Rosario to just befor Guerrero Negro that has no gas stations. Sometimes there are people selling fuel in jugs near the Mission Hotel and a couple other spots, but not always. Be sure you have enough fuel for that stretch and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Both Gerry and Rodetrip have done some Baja trips. I plan on doing some in the near future.

·
Registered
19,404 Posts
340km, or ~211 miles, with a touring load could gobble up another two gallons beyond the stock tank's capacity. While a 4 gallon Clarke tank theoretically can do it there is not much reserve for side-adventures. I'ld also be a bit nervous tipping bike on side with a touring load-out to periodically slosh remaining liters of fuel over the saddle to the petcock. When the petcock runs dry on mine there is still a crudely estimated liter or more hiding on right side of saddle. blue gizmo.jpg

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
340km, or ~211 miles, with a touring load could gobble up another two gallons beyond the stock tank's capacity. While a 4 gallon Clarke tank theoretically can do it there is not much reserve for side-adventures. I'ld also be a bit nervous tipping bike on side with a touring load-out to periodically slosh remaining liters of fuel over the saddle to the petcock. When the petcock runs dry on mine there is still a crudely estimated liter or more hiding on right side of saddle. View attachment 184622
Thank you gentlemen. I’m not planning on riding the whole thing and back. Too old and too much of a wuss but I’d like to do Sn Diego to S, Felipe sometimes with very light load as I like motels. I was concerned with speed. Impeding traffic in Mexicois not healthy.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have not road tripped Baja on my TW, but am bringing it down as a trail bike and to do short trips. The biggest concern of trying to ride tip to tip on a TW would be fuel. There is a approx 340km stretch from El Rosario to just befor Guerrero Negro that has no gas stations. Sometimes there are people selling fuel in jugs near the Mission Hotel and a couple other spots, but not always. Be sure you have enough fuel for that stretch and you should be fine.
Barrel gas in Catavina.

Barrel gas at the turn-off to Bahia de los Angeles.

There is a real Pemex at Villa Jesus Maria north of Guerrero Negro.
We have Clarke 2.8 gal tanks on our bikes... no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Wow there use to be Pemex stations at both Catavina and near LA Bay turn off. I do remember waiting at a station one time when they said they were out on a holiday weekend. A National pulled up and they hooked up a generator on the pump to fill his vechicle. I was able to fill up after that and made it out to Santa Roselilita where some friends had gone. Lack of tourism must have killed these stations. We hauled a sail boat back from a race to Cabo by trailer a few years ago and I don’t recall having trouble getting fuel. We did go through 13 military check points with three being along the Ensenada to TJ toll road. Every stop we had to unload a ladder so they could climb up and look inside the boat. A squad of 18 yo‘s with auto M16s.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Border Patrol Checkpoint in Arizona. Officers armed with m16s.

Baja Military checkpoint. Officers armed with m16s.

Hard to tell the difference.
There are not as many checkpoints as there once was. The only ones we encountered were north of San Felipe, East of Baja line in Sonora, and outside Guerrero Negro, but that one wasn't manned when we went through. They did look in our bags in Sonora because they are supposed to be checking for guns and drugs. San Felipe they just waved us through, we didn't have to stop.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I didn’t mind the Baja check points. They are trying to stop the drug cartels and make things safer. Although I have never felt unsafe in Baja. Thinking back it was probably @ 2007-2010 when we trailered that boat back.

·
Registered
19,404 Posts
I used to pass through a US Border Patrol I-10 checkpoint on a daily basis. Back then they were armed with just radios and 9mm sidearms. Later would trip their cadence & metal detectors, cross their drag lines and otherwise probably get in their way as I went about my bush job in heart of a smuggling corridor as they interdicted human trafficking. Wish there were more checkpoints both then and now. Once a fellow was murdered and his body set on fire on my route out. Not a smell soon to be forgotten.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts