TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg
I am adding hand guards and upon cutting the throttle end off the throttle sleeve looks like this. My first time doing anything like this and being a bit nervous of goofing up anything I wanted to ask, do I hack saw off the end of this sleeve? All of the tutorials that I have looked at show an open ended sleeve.
I thought of shining a light from the bottom to see if I can tell how far off the end of the handle bar this goes, is this a good idea. Upon preview sorry for the sideways picture.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Yes, you will need to cut the end off of the white plastic throttle tube. It is best to trim it off such that approximately 1/8" of the handlebar protrudes beyond the trimmed end of the plastic throttle tube.

I have successfully used a tubing cutter to trim this throttle tube and also a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel.

Your idea of using a light to see the end of the handlebar is a good one. It might save you from having to make two cuts (which I have had to do several times).

Tubing Cutter.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brian, I will have to go get that nifty tool. Getting it back from the edge of the bar suggests that a hack saw might be overkill.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Since you are just cutting plastic, you could just pick up a cheap tubing cutter from Harbor Freight, or I think that I may have even seen them at the dollar stores.

You may also be able to just roll your handgrip back far enough to use this type of cutter and not have to remove and replace the grip.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friend has the cutter so I am going by his house tomorrow to do this and he can keep an eye on me to make sure I don't muck it up. He is also the reason I got a TW, he has an 06 and we are headed to Richloam WMA this Saturday to get lost and muddy.

·
Registered
779 Posts
i just did it the same way HKLBRY described to,put on my TUSK hand gaurds last week, worked like a champ. Don't over think it :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
I loosened the throttle then pushed it out as far as I could. Then used the power sander to take off the end and smooth it. Then I loosened the throttle and pushed it on as far as it would go and picked up about 1/8 in clearance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts