TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought an 1989 tw200 the other day for $200 it has been siting for quite some time i have drained the tank cleaned it out, changed oil and filter, spark plug made a gasket for it and fired it up started on the second kick i have changed the oil again because it picked up a bunch of sitting particals lubed everything and so on. The question that i have is this the bike runs but if i give it gas to quick it dies i have to roll on the gas, second question crusing around the nieghborhood is easy on it until forth were i believe what is going on is the cluth plates sticking cuz when i release the clutch the rmps stay the same for a few seconds then fouth goes and fifth is fine. Any ideas what i could be looking at.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Open the pilot jet screw 2 1/2 turns. It is called the idle mixture screw if you are over 50. Check out the carb tuning tutorial. This was the only adjustment I made on my carb and it made a huge difference and the engine runs perfectly.

BTW, a most excellent score! Congratulations!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I guess I had made a big mistake (possiably) apperently I put my synthetic in for my truck instead of the yamalube from the dealer so I removed the oil cleaned clutchs rapleced with oil and now it revs fine and does not try to pull with the clutch in. But still slips in fourth so I think I am going to order a new clutch kit for it next week. (well see how that goes)but I have another question my tw has an XT tank on it the seat does not fit all to well, it could be a different seat as well, but I was wondering if antbody has tried putting on an xt desert tank, it hold 4.1 gallons vs. the oversized tw tank that only holds 2.7g any input will help im just getting back into bikes after a long time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Any thought on what could cause this
Hard to really tell much based on the little of the video that actually loaded, but sounds like the basic idle speed is way too low which keeps the engine from being able to transition correctly when the throttle is applied. I keep my idle up to help the beast maintain a bit of oil pressure.

·
Registered
166 Posts
carb could use a good cleaning.

Also the cables made need to be adjusted or lubed.

Also grab some seafoam and drop it in the gear box, change the oil after you ran it on a short trip.. see if the clutch gets better.. I bet it doesnt need a rebuild.. how many miles are on the bike?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok so i tried to adjust the pilot jet screw and at 1 turn fuel started coming out of the overflow hose so i but it back opened the carbs and they are clean and functioning put it back together and raised my idle a bit and it helped a little but the problem is still not completely resolved and i think my idle is too high now. where to go now?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so I have adjusted it correctly and fiddled with it some more but STILL having the same problem what to do next where to look.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Over the years I've found there really are no shortcuts to returning a neglected bike to service.

Start with fresh oil and filter. I usually use a cheap motorcycle dino oil while doing all the other work, then run the bike to temp, then change to synthetic.

Dump and, if necessary clean the tank. Fresh gas, preferably 87 octane without alcohol, if it is available. New spark plug, properly gapped. Clean and oil the air filter, set the valves and properly adjust the cam chain. Check all electrical connections for corrosion and tight fit.

As for the carb, once everything else is up to snuff, take it out, fully disassemble, clean, and carefully inspect all components. Reassemble with proper settings. Generally, proper settings on any bike sold in the North American market built since 1980 is main jet 2 sizes bigger than original, 1 washer under the needle, pilot screw open a full turn from OEM setting. This has always been close.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts