TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This subject line almost sounds like it could have been a song on Side B of the Chuck Berry record Johnny-B-Goode! But oh how I date myself digressing to 45 records!

OK, so a few months back I bought a 91 TW ostensibly for my future Daughter-In-Law to learn to ride. This bike was intended for her as I have always ridden elime’s (Tony) Parts Bike known affectionately as T2.

As you may recall it was rather purple, although with my eyesight I just thought it was an odd shade of blue!

285cropsm.jpg

So fearing an uncomplimentary nick name may follow this bike, related to its unique purple color, a change was in order. Thanks to some parts from several forum members, I have completed the transformation (see subject line to get the drift!),. And the one person who went on record affectionately calling it “The Barney” will no longer have fodder for making jest! (No I won’t mention his name evan).

Joeband was quick to point out the purple overtones of the bike. But like all good school teachers, Joe also knew the correct answer! He just so happened to have an extra XT225 tank and shrouds in white with blue and black decals that would go nicely with the white plastic of my 91. A deal was struck and although I was happy, poor old (yes pun intended) Joemama who also had interest in the tank came up short by about 150 miles!

The tank did have some dent's on one side that looked like they could be made less conspicuous. So with the help of a cheapo Dent Removal kit, I made the one side presentable.
238sm.jpg 237sm.jpg 261sm.jpg

Also thanks go to elime who supplied me with a number of parts including a swing arm, brake perch, chain guard, and more.

So enough of the story telling and on with the current pictures! (In next post.)

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
barney looks real spiff with that new tank, nice job sir! did tony hook you up with some of his fancy "new tread" tires? i know how much you liked those.

can't wait until your daughter-in-law lets you ride him.... ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've got this stock one......and I'd like a black one instead. I'm thinking about changing the fork-tube covers to black, too.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
WS23
Why don't you plan on showing up at Santa Margarita KOA June 12, and show that off to everybody in person?
Mel

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Mel. I did attend last years event riding elime's Parts Bike. It was a great event, besides the nice people, your cooking was also a big hit! I will discuss with elime about the possibility of us attending this years event. (He has the trailer, tow car, Parts Bike, and driving skills. I am just the passenger and tag-along.) ;)

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Nice job!! looks very nice and by keeping that seat color Barney lives on.......

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
you love me
i love you...
we can see
that seat ain't blue...

BARNEY LIVES!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I've got this stock one......and I'd like a black one instead. I'm thinking about changing the fork-tube covers to black, too.

I just traded fork boots with another member. I am interested in trading seat covers though if yours is in great shape. Mine is great shape. Good as new, perfect condition. Shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
I think Barney looks great as is. The tank improvement is very nice.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
elime (Tony) has donated a number of parts to me to get this bike to this point. They are much appreciated. I think he has some brand new tires in his garage, and he knows mine are age cracked. I wonder if he has any bark busters laying around........;)

One of the things he gave me recently was the windshield he won in a raffle at last years Russ Memorial ride and camp out. So here it is installed.

394visor.jpg

396sm.jpg

398crop.jpg

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
That windshield looks great on Barney! I think I won a blue windshield too and I think Mel ended up with it. I still have some parts left over from rainbow warrior (may he rest in peace...) so let me know if still looking for any parts.....

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
With everyone's help that bike is really starting to look fantastic. The silver wheels, fork tubes, engine and swingarm come together in a nice consistant look. I like that my '03 has black wheels and engine, but wish swing arm and forks were maybe black too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK I get it now. The more I try to kill the Barney name, the stronger it comes back! Maybe a new strategy is in order: Acceptance.

On behalf of myself and “Barney” we want to thank you all for the positive and funny comments. Seriously, I have enjoyed every one of them and they have kept me laughing and smiling.

The whole point of my post was not so much to show off Barney, but more to provide some entertainment. I know I have been entertained, so I think I can say: WAD (Worked as designed)!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts