TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Base Gasket leak??? SOLVED!!! SEE BELOW

Hey all,
Hoping someone has an answer... Just brought this baby home, checked oil etc. and took it out for a quick ride. Replaced the headlight today and was heading out for some miles... during pre-flight noticed oil seeping at the bottom of the head!! I remember reading somewhere about an updated base gasket but can't locate the post...Checked the bolts and they are tight (didn't check torque, just that they aren't falling out) but I won't be ablr to dig in to her until tomorrow, figured I'd start here. (This is my '89 with 734 miles on it BTW) Thanks in advance!!
base.jpg

Also...noticed this at the same time, pretty sure that tapered spacer was flush on both sides when I brought it home (and I know it is on my '87). Wondering if the leak is related? Bike runs perfect, just don't want to burn up a motor if I've got an issue. Also just confirming that is the timing chain tensioner? Thanks all, I'm still learning!!!

head.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was afraid of :eek:

Guess with that much time parked the gasket dried up? Total bummer, was hoping for a cream puff! Oh well! Another winter project I guess.

Awesome write up!!! Thank you!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aha. I found a pic in the manual that shows it better, I thought it was a separate piece, not connected to the nut on the end. Ill see tomorrow why it's askew. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks elime! Thinking about it there is some oil towards the backof the head, could have originated at the tensioner cap and after the bike was parked migrated up to the front of the head mimicking a base gasket leak. All fingers crossed!! Ill let you know what I find. Thanks again guys.

Update!!!
The cam tensioner cap was indeed cross threaded and totally mangled, guessing it took a hit when the old owner loaded it up and I hadn't noticed it before. Took the cap off and replaced it with the one off the '87 and a new o-ring, cleaned every last drip of oil off the base and lower bolts, couple hail mary's and headed out. 25 min later (lower RPM's, just putputting around town) came back and found the base pristine and free from any oil residue. Great catch elime! Saved me a whole bunch of stressing and laying awake tonight! Chances ar I'd make the correlation after looking a little closer (and laying awake all night) but always nice to get a leg up from the millions of hours of experience we can tap into right here. BEST FORUM EVER!

More ridiculous questions coming you way very soon!
Thanks again everybody.
BF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts