TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I'm going to replace my drooling base gasket soon. Was considering the ProCycle top end gasket kit. Called them and they said it is an aftermarket brand.
Should I stick with genuine Yamaha parts ? I was thinking about buying the ProCycle kit and also buying and using the Yamaha Base gasket (2010).
Recommendations will be appreciated:).

Thank you kindly, MAC

·
Super Moderator
18,061 Posts
I have that gasket kit. No problems so far. I do usually prefer OEM gaskets though. Just make sure that base gasket is the new and improved one....

Reactions: Turtle Chaser

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I use Athena cylinder foot gaskets and never had problems..
The number is: S41 0485 006 067
But I am not sure, that them available in the US.

Don't forget to change/replace:
- o-ring cylinder
- o-ring oil line (the small one)
- cylinder head gasket (must have, if you remove the head)
- o-ring oil line
-->> this one:
ad56f73a465a44854763f9ddaf201558.jpg

·
Registered
7,155 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have that gasket kit. No problems so far.
I use Athena cylinder foot gaskets and never had problems..
I used the procycle kit and never had a problem.

Thank you kind sirs for the great advice and recommendations:icon_thumright:.
My '06 has 11,500 miles on and is running perfectly.
I 'm on a bit of a budget but am tempted to put a Wiseco piston in there. I would go at least to 67.5mm.
I suppose I could hone it myself. On the other hand I probably have another 11.5k on the original top end.
Probably be better off spending the money on a new seat. I could really feel the difference then:D.

best regards, MAC

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
I but a 68mm piston in one TW and a 70mm in another TW and I think the 68mm is working out better. Given that, your plan for a new piston I would say avoid the 70mm piston.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
I can't agree with you.
I've used for along time the 70mm (and now 71mm) piston and I've never felt bad/strange.
Did you weigh the piston and match its weight to the original piston? The engine with the 70mm piston seems to vibrate more at high RPM (8,000+ RPM) than the 68mm piston engine. I have some new jets ordered and will try them out and see what happens.

The stock Yamaha 67mm piston, rings, pin, clip weighed approx. 232 grams.

The Wiseco 71mm piston (I don't have a 70mm to weigh) weighed 259 grams.

I don't know if 27 grams will make a difference.

And it could very well be something else. I hope a little carburetor works solves the problem.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If your on a budget/don't mind a little work....gasket material from an automotive supplier is quick and handy for some applications. Beats waiting for delivery and is much cheaper.

I used to do that all the time working on cars and trucks, tap tap tap tap:).
I need a full set however for this job. But, do you all use any gasket glue/goop on the base (foot) gasket ?
Seems like it might be a good idea, or maybe not:unsure:.
I'm hoping the bore and piston look really good or you guys will have to turn me over and shake:happy8: .

MAC

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
13,727 Posts
I used to do that all the time working on cars and trucks, tap tap tap tap:).
I need a full set however for this job. But, do you all use any gasket glue/goop on the base (foot) gasket ?
Seems like it might be a good idea, or maybe not:unsure:.
I'm hoping the bore and piston look really good or you guys will have to turn me over and shake:happy8: .

MAC
Turtle Chaser (MAC), when I replace my gaskets I have used both grease and gasket sealant in a very extreme small thin (very thin) amount just enough to hold the gasket in place. If the gasket will stay in place by itself, then I don't use anything. I hope this answered what you were asking about.

Take Care

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Did you weigh the piston and match its weight to the original piston? The engine with the 70mm piston seems to vibrate more at high RPM (8,000+ RPM) than the 68mm piston engine. I have some new jets ordered and will try them out and see what happens.

The stock Yamaha 67mm piston, rings, pin, clip weighed approx. 232 grams.

The Wiseco 71mm piston (I don't have a 70mm to weigh) weighed 259 grams.

I don't know if 27 grams will make a difference.

And it could very well be something else. I hope a little carburetor works solves the problem.
No, I haven't compared the weights of the pistons.
One of my customers has ordered a 67.50 mm Wiseco piston:
236 gr. with rings, clips and pin
176 gr. only piston

I've found in my "useless parts box" a 68.00 mm TW200 piston:
183 gr. only piston

I am sure, basically the size makes the weight difference.
If you would use a Yamaha 71,00 mm piston you would have the same "problem".

Oh, I've found something:
234 gr. - 74,00 mm Yamaha piston 250 cc
231 gr. - 74,00 mm Wiseco piston Raptor 250 10.5:1
-->> I need it for my winter project.

·
Super Moderator
18,061 Posts
I would think normally 30,000 to 50,000.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I used a Winderosa gasket kit when I did the Wiseco piston in mine. No problems with leaks before or after. If your base gasket was weeping a little before I might suggest using a little Yamabond (or failing that, Permantex gasket maker #2 is very similar and available at any parts store) to help account for any irregularities in the case that were probably causing the slight leak. If so, use a very thin smear. Glob it on and it'll squish out and end up in the motor, not where you want it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts