TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello knowledgeable ones!. I'm preparing to replace my tub drain,one question however. I'm going to use Oatey plumber's putty on the new drain for a sealant , but, the container say's not to be used on plastic ? ; I presume that tub's or shower stall's are fiberglass correct,this would constitute plastic?. I did contact Oatey's 1-800 number and the chick on the other end said not to use "regular" Oatey's putty ,but to use their Stain-free type of plumber's putty. I presume the stain-free stuff does not have a caustic value to it ?.:eek:nthego:

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I'm going to use Oatey plumber's putty on the new drain for a sealant
If you are totally intent on doing so, I won't try to talk you out of it, otherwise I would use silicone sealant.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I would go with the stain free on anything other than porcelain coated iron or steel just to be safe. Silicone could also be used but it will be more difficult to clean and re-apply when it fails.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I use the standard gray putty on all my installs and never had an issue with staining on plasti or fiberglass. Once you tighten the drain down so the putty oozes out you remove any excess. With silicon sealant there is just as much chance of mold and mildew dis coloring it as the putty has of staining. Also, if done right, the drain will be there for 30-40 years so who really cares as long as you get a proper seal.

GaryL

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the responses. The current drain has only been in the tub for 10 years , but, some of the metal has deteriated and I feel it is better to be safe than sorry and just change it out. This is not a cosmetic venture , but a functional and preventative measure. I'm alway's leary when two dissimiliar materials (metal drain engaging "plastic" drain pipe , add in chemical laden putty...know what I'm sayin?). Thanks

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are totally intent on doing so, I won't try to talk you out of it, otherwise I would use silicone sealant.
I thought that is what the putty was for ?....I'm no plumber,not by a long shot !.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I ain't no plumber either. I was always told to use silicone on fiberglass or acrylic. Guess I never asked why, just followed the rule. No leaks in 24 years since installation, so even if I was told wrong, it appears to work.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Use a silicone based stain free plumber's putty. Duh!

Seriously, read and follow label directions. Plumbers have been arguing about what to use as long as I can remember. Read and follow label directions to the letter and anything will work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts