TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I'm almost done with my hollow modd and one of the last projects is the battery. I've searched the "new" forum and the "old" forum but have found mixed conclusions. I have a 91 and would love to eliminate the battery, put a capacitator in its place, and be done with it but I have found mixed opinions on if this will work or not. Some people say it will and some say it will not. Some say it wont run the lights and some say it will. Has anyone actually done this? Does it work? Does anyone have a topic on this that they can post here so I read it. Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Your lights will dim and blinkers may not work at low speeds and when idling. You may be able to compensate by changing everything but the headlight to led's.

Also a minus if you ever want to add a 12v power plug for running a gps or mini air compressor since the voltage would be swinging around with rpm's

http://tw200forum.co...5/ShowPost.aspx

On early TWs, where the battery doesn't power the headlamp, you probably won't notice the difference, since the headlamp dims a bit at idle anyway. However, you will have to replace the flasher if you want your turn signals to work at idle on either the old or late models.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Gentlemen,

I'm almost done with my hollow modd and one of the last projects is the battery. I've searched the "new" forum and the "old" forum but have found mixed conclusions. I have a 91 and would love to eliminate the battery, put a capacitator in its place, and be done with it but I have found mixed opinions on if this will work or not. Some people say it will and some say it will not. Some say it wont run the lights and some say it will. Has anyone actually done this? Does it work? Does anyone have a topic on this that they can post here so I read it. Thanks a ton!
It works. The aftermarket part is called a battery lesser. The reason why it came about was when the first "hollow mod" or "naked" TW's came out they didn't think of a smaller battery but just to get rid of the huge one it came with and to make it vintage style only kickstart. The stator is enough to run the bike and lights. The lights dim a little but nothing too big.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is a "battery lesser" the samething as a capacitator? Almost everything I have read says the capacitator will work in place of an actual battery but then you find the occasional it can't work story. So confusing. I just want my headlight and blinkers to work when the bike is on.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Is a "battery lesser" the samething as a capacitator? Almost everything I have read says the capacitator will work in place of an actual battery but then you find the occasional it can't work story. So confusing. I just want my headlight and blinkers to work when the bike is on.
The battery lesser is probaly a capacitor. The battery lesser is probabaly a fancy brand name for it. I guess some forum members say older model TW might have a problem with it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thx. Well all my new light will be here in the next day or two so I'll find out then! I hope it works!!!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Battery "lesser" is just a poor translation of "battery eliminator". It's just a capacitor, or a` series of capacitors.

Personally I'd look into running the smallest, lightest battery possible before I'd dink with a capacitor, but they'll work if you're not picky.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I want to make sure is that all my lights function correctly during riding at night or during the day. If they will do that once started with just a capacitator then awesome! If I have to use a battery Ill have to find something super small so I can hide it. Ugh... once I get all my new blinkers and headlight installed we will find out!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
MJlater I'd love to see some pics of your build!

You should check out some of the other hollow mod builds here under performance and customization

In Catamount's thread he used the sealed RBC10 battery and hid it in a tray... says it has enough juice to start the bike too

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you lay that battery flat? Also as an update I went and got a capacitator and will recieve all my new lights Wednesday. Ill post some pics tonight of the build so far. I went flat black with the entire bike and had a custom exhaust exhaust built. Im running tw 203 and 204. Jetted with 128 and 2 1/2 turns open. New seat chopped to show more tank and a strip of chord running along the edges. Should be awesome!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

My bike's lights will not work w/o battery. They wont blink and the headlight barely lights up. Dang it!!! So I installed the battery using a custom box I had already fab'd up and I hope to play with the capacitator this weekend. I hope it works!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts