TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Battery is slowly losing charge. Advice?

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  grewen 
#1 ·
Well first of all. Hello to all. Just bought my first tw about 7 days ago. I drove it about 1 mile to closest gas station to top it off. After filling it up. I went to start it and got the famous. Click, click.
Low charge on battery. After roll starting it.And driving the additional 10 miles home. I put the trickle charge on the battery overnight. Which it was green and ready to go. Took charger off for a day.
Then drove it for couple times. Then started it a few more times. Then got the click click again. The guy I bought it off of. Also purchased a brand new battery. Gave me new box. That also came with the trickle charger. When i hook up my volt meter to the battery it does slowly drain. So I dont know what to do next.

p.s. after I unplug the voltage regulator it seemed to stop draining. I ordered a new voltage regulator. Just in case. But I have very strong doubts that this is the issue

Please help

#2 ·
Some cheap batteries are junk from day one. Another possibility is that there is some drain when the battery is in the TW. Take it out, trickle charge for 24 hours, then test voltage every 6 to 10 hours for two days. If it's still good, there is some drain to chase down. This is somewhat unusual in an unmodified TW, as there is nothing electronic to power when off.

If it's a lead/acid, test each cell with a hygrometer. Most likely, it's a bad battery.....it's real easy to fry a new battery by charging at too high a rate. Lot's of battery threads here.

And welcome!

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum!! :D

If you put a Volt meter on it while running above idle, what does it say?

Reactions: jtstdub
#4 ·
If it's a lead acid battery make sure each cell is full of electrolyte. Battery acid or distilled water will work, tap or faucet water will not.

#5 ·
ok checked with volt meter while at idle. 14.2 volts. yes lead acid battery. that came with the juice to fill battery. so i know thats right. i will in the next couple days fully charge the battery. and take volt readings. each day. in the morning and after work. thanks. pretty sure that will determine if the battery is bad. or i have a draw of power happening somewhere in system.

#6 · (Edited)
As an alternative you could try to directly measure any current draws. Check your multimeter for it's maximum rated amperage. You likely can detect a small static discharge rate by putting ammeter directly in series with key and everything turned off.
However I would suspect a bad battery with an internal short as being more likely than an exterior short being responsible for the discharged battery.

Reactions: littletommy
#8 ·
True but a small drain on the battery will not produce a visible spark, well maybe if you do it in the dark.

Any decent DVM, even the good old Harbor Freight meters will do up to 10 amps. Do not attempt amp readings on the small scale. The 10 amp scale requires the operator to move the Hot lead to another terminal on the meter to operate on the 10 amp scale... If amp readings are attempted in the smaller scale it will blow the internal fuse in the meter...

Everyone should learn this technique. It is quite easy.... Always put the probes back into the normal plug after you are done and put the dial selector on a dc voltage. If you do not you could blow the fuse the next time you use the meter and attempt to measure voltage...hahahaaaaa!

Jim

#10 ·
That works too. I prefer measuring current...

Sorry but you have stated a wrong Ohms law...

Correct that you should see no ohms...... but you then state "the more Ohms displayed the faster your battery will die".... Think you just got tongue tied..hahahaaa

"0" Zero ohms is a direct short... Thus the most current! infinite ohms= no connection, no current/amps.

Jim

Reactions: littletommy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.