TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Battery needs water?

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  amishgeoff 
#1 ·
I’ve got a 2003 and the battery is dead so I went to the store and the guy said my battery was bone dry and I was supposed to have been adding water to it every 3 to 6 months. I asked if there was a replacement I could buy that I didn’t need to check the water level and he said that was the only one that would fit. Anybody have a suggestion for a non water filling battery?

#2 ·
Among the very first things I did after buying my TW was lose the stock "wet" battery. I don't even know why they put one in a Dual-Sport that might from time-to-time be on it's side if you really do you it off-road. I went with an AGM YTZ72 which was much lighter and smaller than the battery and battery compartment of the TW. So very important that you fill-in that area so the batt is as solid and un-movable as before. Want to go even lighter and maybe even smaller... go with a Lithium which folks that have them, swear by them.

In any case, lose the wet battery all together. A think of the past in any vehicle no matter how many wheels it has.

Stock vs. the YTZ72. Procycle sells them but you can get a better price if you shop around.

Battery Electronic device Technology Automotive battery Electronics accessory

You want to make absolutely sure you keep the battery nice and tight as it would be with the original stock battery. Can't stress that enough. I used a couple piece of UHMW but you can use anything you want. Once this went in years ago well... have never really had to look at the battery again. I do keep it on a Battery Tender during the Winter months 24/7 but that's mostly because I'm not riding this bike at all, way in the back of the garage. But always ready to go.
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Technology

#3 ·
I have this same battery and it is the only one that has worked correctly and consistently for over 2 years. All previous wet batteries would last about 6 months and then I would be kickstarting it for a few years. Someone even used a small container to fill up some of the space around the battery and added a few small tools in it.

#4 ·
I've used a Bikemaster AGM battery which is the same size. I've had 2 and one didn't last very long but one has lasted well over 2 years. I can't say I recommend it but there are "maintenance free" sealed batteries that fit. If I need another battery I'll probably look for a Yuasa sealed battery that will fit as they are a much better brand.

#5 ·
My Shorai Li Po4 came with enough dense foam blocks to fill the space created by the much smaller & lighter lithium battery . Others have added tools or a small air compressor to take up the space created by a more compact, more efficient battery. Another option is to shop for a higher capacity LiPo4 lithium battery with the same physical dimensions as the stock battery but significantly greater electrical output.

While a rare occurrence leaving any battery charger un-monitored for extended periods of time can result in a catastrophic fire like my neighbor's. Fire Marshall said his Battery Tender trickle charger initiated the fire that consumed his garage and about $50K of motorcycles and ATVs in addition to the garage structure. Whether a wet cell depleted of its distilled water was a contributor is unknown; my neighbor, like most others, was likely reluctant to admit any errors on his part.

Just my opinions based on experience rather than anecdote:
1) Use any of the Battery Tender chargers 24/7 at your own risk.
2) Lithium batteries can hold their charge for significantly extended periods of time without need for a trickle charger.

#12 ·
My Shorai Li Po4 came with enough dense foam blocks to fill the space created by the much smaller & lighter lithium battery . Others have added tools or a small air compressor to take up the space created by a more compact, more efficient battery. Another option is to shop for a higher capacity LiPo4 lithium battery with the same physical dimensions as the stock battery but significantly greater electrical output.

While a rare occurrence leaving any battery charger un-monitored for extended periods of time can result in a catastrophic fire like my neighbor's. Fire Marshall said his Battery Tender trickle charger initiated the fire that consumed his garage and about $50K of motorcycles and ATVs in addition to the garage structure. Whether a wet cell depleted of its distilled water was a contributor is unknown; my neighbor, like most others, was likely reluctant to admit any errors on his part.

Just my opinions based on experience rather than anecdote:
1) Use any of the Battery Tender chargers 24/7 at your own risk.
2) Lithium batteries can hold their charge for significantly extended periods of time without need for a trickle charger.
Thank you!

#10 ·
Amish Geoff – to save you some time trying to work all this terminology out (and cutting through the bullcrap your getting from the dealer), you presently have a liquid lead acid battery – cheap as chips, but they can go dry or spill, which does you no favours

There are two alternatives to this – firstly the AGM battery, (same physical size) which is basically the same as lead acid, except that the liquid is held in a “gel”, making it spill proof, and topping up becomes a thing of the past – think “maintenance free” and you’d be about right. These are no more than 15% more expensive than liquid lead acid

Then there are the Lithium batteries, which are “solid state”, same sort of thing you’d put in a torch but re-chargeable. Upside is they are significantly lighter (by around 70%), downside is they are significantly more expensive (by around 70%). Because these are smaller, they come with foam packing to stop them rattling around in there

Your dollar, your choice – but at least you now know what your choices are

Any questions, please ask on here – there’s a wealth of knowledge on here that goes well beyond what the dealer is telling you ….

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.