TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2013 TW i just got with 45 miles on it,still had the original battery. It was dead and low on water. I added water and charged it. I let it set for three days and the voltage (12.8 by my meter)stayed the same. So I installed and so far is still working.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
A lead acid battery can take such abuse. Once or twice!
However, it has lost a considerable amount of its life expectancy, and being 4 years old to start with, I wouldn't expect it to last more than a year. Murphy's Law says that it will fail at the worst possible time and in the worst possible place.
I would check it every month by leaving the headlight on for half an hour. If it fails that test it's not long for this world.

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
The 2013 TW i just got with 45 miles on it,still had the original battery. It was dead and low on water. I added water and charged it. I let it set for three days and the voltage (12.8 by my meter)stayed the same. So I installed and so far is still working.
I too have had pretty good luck with my stock batteries as long as I use distilled water. Tried it with tap water with one battery once, which I knew better, and that battery didn't last long. Losing battery electrolyte and overlooking/not maintaining the level is one of the biggest mistakes we make whatever the cause of loss of said electrolyte.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Yeah if they stay undercharged they get sufated and then the deposits can short the cell rendering them dead. The deposits lower the capacity of the cells. There are youtube videos on restoring LA batteries by draining and cleaning out the cells and adding new acid. Also treating them with epsom salts which breaks down the sufate deposits. All of this kinda of depends on the quality of the lead plates inside if the battery isn't that old doing these things can restore capacity. It's kinda not worth it in our case as you can just buy a new SLA or AGM for @$20.

·
Registered
20,493 Posts
One can always do a load test at home to evaluate a questionable battery. With the battery charged to say 12.8 volts or so disconnect the spark plug lead and engage starter motor for 20 seconds or so while monitoring decaying voltage across your battery. Should voltage drop below 9.6 volts during draw test conventional wisdom says battery is inadequate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not to be smart but why disconnect the sparkplug wire...whynot just use the killswitch?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One can always do a load test at home to evaluate a questionable battery. With the battery charged to say 12.8 volts or so disconnect the spark plug lead and engage starter motor for 20 seconds or so while monitoring decaying voltage across your battery. Should voltage drop below 9.6 volts during draw test conventional wisdom says battery is inadequate.
I figure it is inadequate when it fails to start the bike.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Um, I really don't think you want to find that out while 10 miles out in the boonies! :eek:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Um, I really don't think you want to find that out while 10 miles out in the boonies! :eek:
If I am by myself I just ride two tracks and will be able to start it. May take a while to push it up hill but will not need much roll to get it started. Even in the boonies around here you just wait and someone will be by. I have lots of time to wait,I am retired and do not have to be any place on schedule. If no cell service ,just walk to top of hill and call Wesley and then set in shade and wait until he gets off work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts