TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past 15 years I’ve never gotten more than 3 years of service on my 1999 TW. Looking for suggestions as to what brands may be more robust and longer lasting. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Upgrading to an AGM or Lithium is most common. AGM is sealed, therefore won't leak, but is still heavy like the Lead Acid, and a little more $. Lithium is much smaller and several pounds lighter than lead acid & AGM, but more expensive.

Several great vids on YT describing all the differences. Lead Acid's are still a great battery if taken care of....keeping levels topped off, and kept charged on a battery tender if bike not ridden regularly. Main downside is they'll leak a bit when bike tipped over, etc.

You may already know this, if so....ignore.

Otherwise....many great batteries out there, and peeps with chime in. My current TW came with a Shorai Lithium, but it's been great thus far.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
FWIW i have 8 years on my Shorai Lithium that is in my TW. Its been great and shows no signs of giving up.

Our other one has had an AntiGravity Lithium going on 3 years now. Its also been great. And at this point i would recommend it over the Shorai simply because it has a full battery management system with overcharge/excessive discharge protection that the Shorai lacks.

Personally i would never go back to a lead acid battery of any type.

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha TW200
169 Posts
I'd rather just change a battery every 3-4 years and be done with it. I think lithium batteries need a special charger when I was looking at them. Keep it simple.
Anyway, I use Yuasa since they specialize in motorcycle batteries and they're an American company.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I bought this one and have a battery tender. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DX891FG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details I haven't had it long enough to say its going to last but some of the reviews were for 400+cc bikes with 3 years or so of use without issue. I keep all of my bikes plugged in when they aren't in use though and since I went with Deltran tenders on my bikes I haven't replaced a battery(about 5 years ago). They have also let my find some issues with battery draw on my bikes when the tenders error out.

·
Registered
2021 TW
597 Posts
I bought one from batterystuff.com. Just a sealed lead/acid battery,scorpion brand. Wasnt expensive,under 50 bucks I think. Its been in there for over 2 years with no problems. And I dont do any maintenance to it at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure if they make one for the TDub, but I am fan of Odyssey batteries. I have them in my KLR and my old airhead. They have been solid for me. When my Tdub battery goes, I will see if they make one to fit.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
I'd rather just change a battery every 3-4 years and be done with it. I think lithium batteries need a special charger when I was looking at them. Keep it simple.
Anyway, I use Yuasa since they specialize in motorcycle batteries and they're an American company.
Thing #1 you will probably never need to actually charge a lithium. Lithium does not self discharge very fast so the battery can sit for a very long time and maintain its state of charge. Mine sit for months on end all winter and never get plugged in and the bikes fire right up in the spring.

Also Lithiums with a bms do not need any special kind of charger. The only real no no for them is a charger with a desulfate mode.

FWIW a tender like the noco 1 has a lithium specific mode and is like 25 bucks, not that one would need it…

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I've had a Shorai lithium battery since 2018. I bought the Shorai charger for it, as well. It was like $75! I ended up selling the charger on eBay because I never needed to use it. Cold winters in the Rockies get well below freezing and the Shorai has no trouble at all. Well - I did notice a slightly slower cranking RPM when starting once in negative 10 degrees Fahrenheit....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I recently picked up an Antigravity Lithium battery. Besides some of the other benefits folks have mentioned like lighter weight (I saved over 3lbs), smaller size, very slow discharge and a battery management system, it has a 'restart' feature which is awesome if you don't have a kick start.

It ensures the battery will retain enough juice for a few start attempts without going completely flat. To access this 'reserve' power you hit the 'restart' button on the battery and you have some power.

For bikes without a kick start, I think the restart function on the antigravity is worth the price alone.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
I recently picked up an Antigravity Lithium battery. Besides some of the other benefits folks have mentioned like lighter weight (I saved over 3lbs), smaller size, very slow discharge and a battery management system, it has a 'restart' feature which is awesome if you don't have a kick start.

It ensures the battery will retain enough juice for a few start attempts without going completely flat. To access this 'reserve' power you hit the 'restart' button on the battery and you have some power.

For bikes without a kick start, I think the restart function on the antigravity is worth the price alone.

They also sell a remote "restart" kit for it for $20. If you are ever in a situation where you need to push the button you can connect this to a tender lead to activate the restart feature without having to remove the seat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use amg and plug in battery tender when done riding, keeps battery topped off.Many people laugh at me but I have 8 years on my tw and more years on snowmobiles and mowers. I have been doing it for years. Just charge after use until battery tender says charged and then I don't leave it plugged in. Batteries must be fully charged when stored and they won't sulfate.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Another vote for lithiums. I've had a Shorai in my TW for close to 3 years, another Shorai in my DRZ400 for 2 years, and an Anti Gravity in the KTM 500 EXC-F for a year. Never had to touch any of them after install. The lithium haters out there are operating off of old information. This technology has been improving at an incredible pace the last several years and is very reliable.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This pertains to the Battery
3 years with a stock TW battery is great, a miracle. My FZ-09 has an AGM which has been great by comparison and is substantially stronger. When it got weak and gave up after five years, it was still starting the FZ with difficulty, and that is a whole lot more CC. Be sure to buy a $20.00 Led headlight bulb and a cheap Led tail light bulb, leave the turn signals alone because they are a pain to upgrade to led because of flasher issues.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would be more concerned with a lithium battery failure vs saving a few pounds. I might be convinced to get the expensive one that has the built-in monitoring system that may prevent a Chernobyl situation.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Yuasa is still going strong after 4+ years. They are formulated to help prevent sulfation which seems to help them last longer over cheaper flooded cell batteries. Don’t keep a tender on it all the time just top it up every month or so if the bike sits idle

1 - 20 of 20 Posts