1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
If the battery is the flooded cell type, make sure there is enough distilled water in each cell of the battery.

Also, double check the polarity of the harness on the bike.

I cannot say there is something wrong, as I have never heard any of my batteries make any noise while hooked up to the exact same charger you have.

Also, it is never really quiet in my shop, and I'm somewhat deaf. Just ask Susan. She says I never listen.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
... I pugged it in and the battery seems to make a quite soft bubbling sound. Is this ok?
If you double checked the polarity of the pigtail AND the BT Plus goes into float mode (steady green) after a few hours, it should be fine. I assume you still have the OEM lead acid Yuasa? Remove the caps and verify it wasn't over filled. Generally, a low amp charge like this should not make the battery bubble, and it definitely should not bubble on the float charge....that's only 75 milliamps or so. If you have to put your ear right to the top of the battery it's probably fine, but listen to what happens after it goes to float.

The BT is supposed to sense reversed polarity and blink red and green....I assume it's not doing that.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Really, the battery tender Jr. (750mA) would be a better product for you. Your plus model appears to put in 1.25 amps. That's really what it's all about, the amps. It may be a little "hot" for your little battery. The loose rule is to find what the reserve capacity of the battery is. Proper current is up to 1 amp for every 10 hrs of capacity. So the TW stock flooded battery has like a 7-8 hr res cap=up to 700-800 milliamps for proper charge. Your 120 res cap truck battery can take up to 12 amps, etc.

Flooded batteries will gurgle and bubble as they charge, but if the current is too excessive, they can boil over and that is bad. I would think that your charger would be fine to charge up a dead battery, but I probably wouldn't use it as a maintainer. That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Hmm...I have the Jr., all three of them, and my batteries never bubble, so I thought going from .75 amps to 1.25 amps would not make that big a difference. It's certainly true that the Jr. is half the price! I'd return the Plus and buy a Jr. if I was you. Hard to believe, but Yamaha Store actually charges MORE than the suggested retail ($69.95 according to Deltran). Can you say rip-off?:mad:

Get a Jr. for $39.95 from Amazon! No more "bubble, bubble, toil and trouble"..... Wm Shakespeare.:p

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
It's my experience that every flooded cell battery I have ever owned has made some soft bubbling sound when it's charging(I have owned a bunch over the years in my bass boat, my current one takes 4). This normally occurs when the batter is closer to fully charged. In the marine world we have always called it " gassing". As long as it's a slight bubbling and it does not sound like it's boiling you should be fine. If it sounds like it's boiling you are over charging it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I've used the Jrs. for years with only good results.
But...if my battery was bubbling or boiling I couldn't hear it either!
And if you want to get a good look at it...don't use a match!

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
.......you bought the wrong battery tender.

Yeah, yeah, I know most of you will disagree with me, but I have owned those larger Battery tenders before, and they do NOT last as long, or slowly trickle charge and then maintain a battery like the Battery tender JR. does.

I have 7 of the Battery Tender JR. models, and have some that are 10+ years old. They have never failed me...and they are 1/2 the price of what you paid for that "monster" Battery Tender...
Mike, you have such a way with words..... ;)

In an effort to educate, and not denigrate the fine Deltran battery charger the OP has already purchased...

My experience with BT Plus has not been exemplary:

Here's three I have in a bucket in the garage. I have two more in NC, and just last week threw out another that was on my tractor.

None of them work.

I must be a slow learner...

I just bought one of their new versions... :(

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 022-0185G-dl-wh Black 12 Volt 1.25 Amp Plus Battery Charger/Maintainer: Automotive

Also have a couple of BT Jr's still in operation.

Here's hoping that JDN has better luck than you and I, and his BT Plus has a long and happy life. :)

jb

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
All pig tails are not created equal! Yuor BT came with a pig tail that has red and black on the battery ends. Just because the BT plugs into the existing pig tail does not mean it is the correct polarity. Match the BT pig tail to the one on your bike and be absolutely sure the positive is on the + of the battery. On the BT the wire from the unit to the connector plug uses the exposed metal pin, male end, as the positive leg. On the pig tail the covered female side of the plug is the positive to the battery.

I have a bunch of the BT Jrs and one 4 bank one that all work perfect for me. I do not trust those small transformers so I always use an extension cord rather than leave them plugged into a wall outlet. I figure if one shorts out I don't want it near a combustible wall in my shop so I keep it away from anything that could burn.

GaryL

·
Registered
514 Posts
All of us should know how to use a digital volt meter! That eliminates all guess work and that is what is going on with this thread.

Initial charge on a low, good battery will bubble if the charger/battery tinder has enough charge current in it's design.

Some battery tenders are multi stage... Initial charge in the 14's, after a time, determined by the design of the Tender the voltage will step down to under 13.8 and more than 13.1.

If the Tinder is not multi stage you should not see more than 13.8 after the Mcycle battery has been plugged in for more that 12 hrs.

You will not see the designed charge voltage of the any Tender if the battery is in need of a charge... If the battery is like 12.4 and you hook up the Tinder it will read 12.4. The voltage will rise over time to the designed spec of the Tinder. A lawn mower battery will take a couple of days... Most of the time, if a battery is down below 12.4 a charger is needed not a Tinder

For those that do not know how to use a DVM there are lot's of Youtube videos doing HOW TO's.

I have Tinders all over the place... 2 riding mowers, 2 on old vw's and some other weird applications.

I have found that even the cheap HF meters are good enough to do most measurements. Just use a fresh 9vdc and a couple of 1.5vdc dry cell batteries to check accuracy.
Most meters off the shelf will read within .1 vdc of accurate. I have an expensive meter that I know is calibrated but for every day stuff I just use a HF.
I use a DVM almost daily for AC, DC, current and resistance.

Jim

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
if you're in doubt of the correct polarity, there is a fast, sure way to check. put a volt meter on the battery. check the voltage, plug in bt and if the voltage goes up, you're ok. if the voltage goes down, unplug it fast, all though if the bt is not protected, the damage is probably all ready done

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
The Deltran brand BatterTenders claim to have polarity protection built in.

The pigtails that came with the chargers have a 7.5 amp inline fuse.

In the picture you can see that one of my defunct BT's has two white posilock connectors.

Deltran had a batch of BT's from the factory that had the +/- reversed.

I was lucky enough to get one. :angry1:

jb

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I have a 4 bank on the garage ceiling and host of other Battery Tenders all over the place.
Just got a NOCO Genius 4 bank because it can do a mix of 6volt and 12 volt.

At least 12 batteries on charge out there, and I don't hear a damned thing.

Damn you Ozzie! You have stolen my ear usefulness!!

Bloody Sabbath indeed.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Is it just a fluke....that my multimeter is a......FLUKE. :p
Nope! If you have a Fluke then you have a good one and paid a good deal for it. It does pay to spend a little more on the tools you want to work right right from the beginning. Just pay attention to the battery so it does not leak.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The Deltran brand BatterTenders claim to have polarity protection built in.

The pigtails that came with the chargers have a 7.5 amp inline fuse.

In the picture you can see that one of my defunct BT's has two white posilock connectors.

Deltran had a batch of BT's from the factory that had the +/- reversed.

I was lucky enough to get one. :angry1:

jb
Hey JB, sorry to hear you have had bad luck with the Deltran chargers. My experience with them is the exact opposite from yours. I have to wonder why you are having all this trouble and have to relate an issue I experienced. Back in 2002 we moved right after I retired from NY to Inverness, Fl. We found in short order that we did not like the heat and humidity so we only lasted for 7 months before moving back north. One thing that really floored me in Florida was all the electrical storms and many of them were quite severe. Being new to that part of the country I was naive about some things. Water tasted like right out of the swamp and in a very short time I started having electrical problems. I was big into vintage stereo high end equipment and fancy amps and receivers with big and very expensive components and speakers. We had just purchased a big 36 inch Sony Trinitron TV and in a storm we got hit by a surge that destroyed the TV. Sony repaired it but the guy added a surge protector on the line for that TV. Just a few weeks later we got slammed with another lightning hit and it fried my most cherished stereo receiver from the early 70s. and cooked our refrigerator during a brown out. I had an electrician set us up with a whole house high end surge protection system that would shut the electric to the house down in any surge or brown outs. It had 2 big batteries that would give us time to shut down TVs, stereos and appliances while the electricity to the house was in fault. He explained that a lightning strike could cause either a high spike or a low brown out and both are equally bad for electronic stuff in a home. I have to wonder of your battery tenders are not getting killed from spikes or low currents from the wall plugs to these devices. Here at home in NY we get some wild electrical storms to but not like in Florida. I use ABS battery back ups units (automatic battery back ups) on all my expensive equipment here now. If the pole power goes out or drops below the 120 volts they automatically switch to battery and give me time enough to shut down the stereo, computers and TVs while not allowing any spike or voltage drops to hurt these things. I also have a gadget called a Killowatt tester that actually shows and locks in when I get a surge from the pole electric. One storm this past summer sent a spike that fried the big transformer on the pole out front but I recorded a surge of 146 Volts that came to my house and got stopped by the back up thing so nothing blew.

Is it possible your BT units are getting fried from these spikes and it is not the fault of the BT at all? I just know that lightning strikes are very common with storms ripping across Florida and your state tops the list for the most strikes. Those simple and cheap surge protectors with 6 outlets can help some but are not the real protection if a big jolt does come through the lines. The battery back ups with internal batteries are a much safer protection for delicate equipment. Last summer I got slammed again up here. My water well is 165 feet deep and I have a 3/4 HP submersible pump down at the bottom of the well. A surge zapped that pump and it cost me over $2K to buy a new pump, have the plastic pipes lifted 165 feet out and get it all back working. The electric company will be the first to tell you they are responsible for the electricity up to the pole itself. From the pole to your house is all on you! I have recorded a number of time here when the electricity from the pole coming into my house was at 60 volts and all my lights were at half power, brown out condition. If your fridge or well pump tries to start at 60 volts it will fry it quick. These APS battery back up units are fairly cheap in the long run for the small ones. TVs, Stereos and bigger components need a much larger back up if you happen to be running them together when a surge or drop occurs. I have 4 of them in my home on the important stuff and won't be without them. When ever my lights go out my computer and monitor keep right on running long enough to do a quick shut down and no damage.

Just a thought because I have battery tenders I have used for lots of years and never yet had a problem! For those who don't know electricity, if you use a 100 foot extension cord to run a table saw when building your garage the loss of voltage over a 100 foot run is quite a drop unless you use a real heavy cord. My work extension cords are a big around as my thumb with 8 or 10 gauge stranded wires. With a typical extension cord with only 12 or 14, 16 gauge wires I would not go over 30 feet on a device that needs a good amount of amperage when starting. Plug your air compressor directly into the wall with the attached 6 foot cord and all is fine. Plug it in to a 100 foot standard extension cord and if it doesn't pop the breaker you will certainly hear the motor labor to get started and that is bad.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I just got this battery tender for a 2016 TW200 and pulled the seat off to find it already had the quick connect installed.

I pugged it in and the battery seems to make a quite soft bubbling sound. Is this ok?

I got this tender -
Battery Tender® Plus
ACC-CHGBT-TN-12
https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/battery-tender-plus?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28&f=2016|66&dealernumber=
perfectly normal you are just one of the few with good enough hearing to notice it I'm assuming you are not a big Led Zeppelin fan lol

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Gary, you are correct about power surges and lightning strikes.

The Tampa Bay area is near the top for lightning strikes nationwide, second only to Colorado, I believe.

We still get momentary power outages nearly every day...enough for all the clocks to start flashing 12:00.

In NC we also get power outages, but usually for a longer time, an hour or two or longer. The outages are usually caused by trees falling across the power lines in some remote location.

I have surge proctectors on all my electronics, and a battery backup on the computer.

On the battery chargers/maintainers, I don't. Not cost effective, IMO, to buy $50 surge protectors for a $50 chargers.

And....I have chargers/maintainers from other manufactures, that haven't failed...even the cheap ones's from Harbor Freight.

Deltran's chargers used to be made in the US. Now they are all made in China, just like HF's.

If you had stayed in Inverness, we may have run into each other somewhere. I stopped for lunch there a few weeks ago.

Seems like we have some of the same interests...motorcycles, Boston Whalers, and Kubota tractors.

jb

1 - 20 of 28 Posts