TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to install a battery tender on my TW and I don't want to make any stupid mistakes. Where do most members run the leads to? I'm thinking of wire tieing it to the frame on the left side away from the exhaust and naturally,away from any moving parts. I know it's about as simple as it gets but are there any tips for a good install? Thanks in advance .

·
Registered
118 Posts
I ran my lead down behind the left body plastic to the area of the helmet lock. I opened the lock and ran the lead thru and then back around and thru again. I then closed the lock.... it is out of the way, secure, safe, and totally accessable there and the cover plug can still be used. Works great that way for me.

excalibur

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Is it a Battery Tender Jr.? I find that anything else runs too much amperage into the battery causing premature failure.

I will just use a Battery Tender pigtail wired to the battery itself, then running it over to near my helmet lock. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Yes, anything more powerful than the BT Jr. will not do your battery any favors, and it is not a good idea to leave it connected for more than a few days. I put it on for 24 hours once a month in the winter Since I use the same pigtail with SAE plug to power my 12V cigarette outlet for the GPS, I routed it down to the right side, where the wires from the plug come out from under the gas tank. I have to pull the right side plastic to get to it, but since it is unusual to need it during riding season, in the winter I just leave the panel off and the SAE plug disconnected, with the GPS in the warm house where I can charge it once a month.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I routed my SAE leads down the frame on the left side stopping above the swing arm. I wired tied close to the connector so it doesn’t flop around but you can still pull it away to connect to it. The cover keeps all the dirt out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it a Battery Tender Jr.? I find that anything else runs too much amperage into the battery causing premature failure.

I will just use a Battery Tender pigtail wired to the battery itself, then running it over to near my helmet lock. Good luck!
Yes it is a junior.I was kind of worried about whether the the little box near the positive terminal which I assume is a fuse holder will fit alright under the seat since it seems like it will have to lay on top of the battery. Is that what that is,a fuse holder? I didn't want to pop that cover in case you aren't supposed to.Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the advice! I guess my main concern was heat or friction causing a short ,but I didn't realize that you shouldn't leave it plugged in too long,so you guys might of saved me some grief!

·
Registered
118 Posts
On the wire leads on mine there is just enough wire between the positive battery connection and the cross-member running between the frame right behind the battery to let me gently push the fuse holder ( black rectangular little box ) back in there where its safe and won't get smashed between the battery and bottom of the seat. You might try that with yours.

excalibur

·
Registered
158 Posts
I keep the battery tender junior connected to my TW constantly when it is in the garage. I was concerned about cooking the battery so I have the BT jr. plugged in to a timer that turns it on for three hours a day. Seems to be doing fine.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
When you run your pigtail keep the connector facing down which will almost happen by itself anyway. That way if you forget to put the rubber cover on it (which I almost always forget) it won't be exposed to the rain. Sometimes those covers break off too.

I HAD the BT Jr. and didn't like it because it is a true trickle-charger & shouldn't be left on all the time. Moved to the BT "Plus" which will shut-off and cycle-on only when it senses a significant drop in current. Have them on every garaged motor as I write this now... 4 motorcycles, snowblower, generator. Never a problem and has extended battery life to 10 years and beyond which is impressive for an MC battery. All AGM's BTW.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Dang, I guess I am a fool... I currently have 6 Harbor freight battery maintainer/float chargers for 15+ years. They maintain my bikes, riding mowers 2 cars and a special meter battery in my rv camper which has been installed for over 10 years.
I will say that I have found that I have found a couple that had higher voltage than I liked. But one of those was a battery tinder.....

What voltage do you all say is a comfortable voltage for FLOAT?

I like 13.2-13.6

Current is not in the game. It's the voltage! My rv has a 60 amp charger/converter... It floats ANY battery at 13.2.....

Jim

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do you have a 12v outlet on the bike anywhere? If so just get the SAE to 12v male adapter and run your power into that. Saves having that extra bit of wiring on the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D
Do you have a 12v outlet on the bike anywhere? If so just get the SAE to 12v male adapter and run your power into that. Saves having that extra bit of wiring on the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jtomelliott49
1 - 20 of 34 Posts