TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best place to buy a Battery for a TW200 - 2015? (Ontario region - GTA(Toronto)) - Much thanks - J

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Welcome ,
I have no idea for that area. Just curious why a 2015 would need a new battery, unless you are upgrading to a lighter battery.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Have you checked Canadian tire or Wallmart?
Twlight should chime in soon with the best battery to buy.

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have mixed feelings about Lithium bike batteries ..... here is my experience with them and our Canadian winters.

I had a Ballistics 8-cell installed in my CB919. It was well built and a nice piece, but after 16 months it was dead as a rock and would not recharge. I used a "battery tender JR" trickle charger on it over the first winter with it installed in the bike.

This is youtube video shows cold start on a Harley using a 12 cell ballistics battery. When cold they will crank slow, but slowly get stronger with each attempt ...... this caused my EFI CB919 with a over fueled power commander piggy back to foul plugs. Also it goes against what my brain thinks "normal battery behavior" should be and I didn't like it. I replaced the Ballistics in my CB919 with a AGM its on its third season trouble free.

I also did a Shorai install on my XR650L. It never missed a beat and never needed to be charged, this one I removed for the winter and stored it in the basement furnace room to stay warm Never put a charger on it and sold the bike the following summer so I can't comment on reliability beyond 12 months.

These are both bigger displacement bikes and like I said ..... mixed feelings. If I did get another it would be a Shorai or Antigravity.

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
Thanks, good input.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have mixed feelings about Lithium bike batteries ..... here is my experience with them and our Canadian winters.

I had a Ballistics 8-cell installed in my CB919. It was well built and a nice piece, but after 16 months it was dead as a rock and would not recharge. I used a "battery tender JR" trickle charger on it over the first winter with it installed in the bike.

This is youtube video shows cold start on a Harley using a 12 cell ballistics battery. When cold they will crank slow, but slowly get stronger with each attempt ...... this caused my EFI CB919 with a over fueled power commander piggy back to foul plugs. Also it goes against what my brain thinks "normal battery behavior" should be and I didn't like it. I replaced the Ballistics in my CB919 with a AGM its on its third season trouble free.

I also did a Shorai install on my XR650L. It never missed a beat and never needed to be charged, this one I removed for the winter and stored it in the basement furnace room to stay warm Never put a charger on it and sold the bike the following summer so I can't comment on reliability beyond 12 months.

These are both bigger displacement bikes and like I said ..... mixed feelings. If I did get another it would be a Shorai or Antigravity.
I feel the same way about lithium batteries in big bikes, I hated the Shorai in my Ducati 1200. Once the temps dipped below 40 at night it would never even light the dash on the bike after sitting overnight. Starting was not happening, it literally was so dead it would not even fire up the dash of the fuel pump.

Funny thing is i like the one in my TW although that has also gone flat on cold nights at least i have a kick start and can just fire it up and im good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts