TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
That was probably me - it is one of my favorite rides. I remember a KLR passing me as I made that sharp right turn onto Palomares Road.

If I remember correctly, I slowed way down and didn't downshift far enough and almost stalled it. Felt like a real stooge.

Brian

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, thats a tough corner to negotiate.

That was probably me - it is one of my favorite rides. I remember a KLR passing me as I made that sharp right turn onto Palomares Road.

If I remember correctly, I slowed way down and didn't downshift far enough and almost stalled it. Felt like a real stooge.

Brian

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Howdy I'm in walnut creek. -Josh

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Hi Josh,

Any local ride recommendations?

Well my tw is pretty modded at this point and is mostly just for offroad now. Carnigie(sp) and Hollister Hills are both a lot of fun. I have a trailer incase you want to do a ride some weekend in either of those two places.

Josh

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hill climbs and mini races at Carnegie tomorrow and Sunday. I'll be cruising around on my TW.

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
I've been on Palomares Rd. with my TW.

I have a friend that lives in Fremont and we have ridden the Palomares Rd. / road next to 580 / Foothill Rd. / Niles Canyon Rd. several times. I am not to crazy about Foothill, but Niles Canyon and Palomares are great! It makes a nice "circular" ride when you want to go somewhere but don't have a lot of time.

BD22 -- A really superb ride is Mines Rd. Pick it up in Livermore and ride to The Junction. At The Junction if you go left you go into Patterson and if you go right you will go up the back side of Mt. Hamilton. If you haven't been to the top of Mt. Hamilton it is a MUST DO!!!! You can come down the front side, find Niles Canyon and head for home or make a u-turn.

If you go to Patterson, get gas and then go north (Hwy 33) to Tesla and come back that way and you will go by Carnegie, or go to the other side of Tracy (and the other side of 580) and find Grantline Rd. and come back via Altamont Pass Rd. Be-careful you don't miss Altamont Pass Rd. or you will end up on 580.

http://maps.google.c...5,0.272598&z=12

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Hey Tony,

What a coincidence, I just got back from doing the Pleasanton to Livermore, Mines Road, Junction, Del Puerto Canyon Road, Corral Hollow Road/Tesla and Carnegie loop this afternoon. I wanted to take a friend of mine from Germany on a fun, scenic ride before he returns home (sorry, but the TW got left home today - we rode a Honda XR650L and BMW R100GSPD).

Weather was great, roads were clean and clear, and virtually no traffic. More bicyclists than motorcyclists. On Mines we only passed two cars and were passed by only one sport bike. Other than that we had the road to ourselves, except for a couple of suicidal squirrels and one cow that was between the road and the fence. Stopped at the Junction for some refreshments and a pit stop, then on to Del Puerto. It is incredible how just a few miles will take you from the bay area crowding and traffic to a whole other world and time.

I wish I had known about Hwy 33. After gassing up in Patterson, we got on I5 to Corral Hollow Road. That was not much fun - steady head wind and 18 wheelers going 70mph. Got to Carnegie too late to catch the hillclimbs, so we just putted around on the valley floor for while before heading back to Pleasanton.

Sounds like you range pretty far on your TW. Let me know the next time you are passing through Pleasanton and maybe we take the dubs for a ride.

Brian

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
An R100GSPD? Very nice and very rare! Nothing wrong with the XR650L either. My friend with the DR350 is looking for one at a "give away price".

My friend and I once rode south from Patterson on Hwy 33. Long, straight, lonely road that went through a couple of towns neither one of us had ever heard of. We ended up coming back on Hwy 152 / Pacheco Pass, a route I can't recommend on a TW. Next time I would like to go a little further south to Firebaugh and find Little Panoche Rd. (Co. Hwy J1) and then north on Hwy 25. It should end up being about a 200 to 250 mile day. As soon as the weather gets nice.......

Next time I find myself heading towards Pleasanton I will give you a shout out first.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Tony,

Ive ridden the Mt Hamilton route on my KLR a few years ago before I lived in the area. Just got back from Carnegie, hill climbs and mini races. Rode most of the park this morning starting at 7 am. Even though it was crowded with campers no one was on the trails. Nice day.

·
Registered
105 Posts
San Jose here. I haven't done much local riding. Mostly the hills when/where we go camping. Had a good ride last month up by Indian Valley Resvr (east of Clear Lake). A buddy has an off-grid cabin we use as "base camp". We go through lots of ammo too. ;-)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
San Jose here. I haven't done much local riding. Mostly the hills when/where we go camping. Had a good ride last month up by Indian Valley Resvr (east of Clear Lake). A buddy has an off-grid cabin we use as "base camp". We go through lots of ammo too. ;-)

Just picked up my second TW. Not sure why, I can only ride one at a time. Must be a disease.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Just picked up my second TW. Not sure why, I can only ride one at a time. Must be a disease.

Hey BD,

What did you get? I have been looking for another TW project bike, but haven't been able to find any good deals locally.

Brian

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey BD,

What did you get? I have been looking for another TW project bike, but haven't been able to find any good deals locally.

Brian

Brian

2009 with 500 miles $2800 in Stockton. Super clean totally stock. This will be my primary bike once I mod.

Blake

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brian

2009 with 500 miles $2800 in Stockton. Super clean totally stock. This will be my primary bike once I mod.

Blake
Brian,

Have you looked at the TW on Craigslist for $600 in Salinas?

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Brian,

Have you looked at the TW on Craigslist for $600 in Salinas?

Hi Blake,

Sounds like you picked up a nice one, congratulations!

I think this is the one you are referring to:

http://monterey.craigslist.org/mcy/2352127429.html

I am pretty sure that this is the same bike that I looked at in Half Moon Bay about a month ago. It looks much better in the picture than it really is. It used to be an MSF safety course bike that was never titled or registered so it had over 20K miles of driving around a parking lot in first and second gear. I wanted it mainly for the wheels and forks so I offered the guy $300.00 for it. I was relieved that he didn't take it. He said that he already had a buyer willing to pay $600 for it. My guess is the other guy is trying to unload it now and get his money out of it.

Brian

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Blake,

Sounds like you picked up a nice one, congratulations!

I think this is the one you are referring to:

http://monterey.craigslist.org/mcy/2352127429.html

I am pretty sure that this is the same bike that I looked at in Half Moon Bay about a month ago. It looks much better in the picture than it really is. It used to be an MSF safety course bike that was never titled or registered so it had over 20K miles of driving around a parking lot in first and second gear. I wanted it mainly for the wheels and forks so I offered the guy $300.00 for it. I was relieved that he didn't take it. He said that he already had a buyer willing to pay $600 for it. My guess is the other guy is trying to unload it now and get his money out of it.

Brian

Yea thats it. I kinda new something was up being so cheap. Something will come up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts